Jump to topic:

Work permit in the America.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:43:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I want to do something while I am young and able, I would like to live in America for 6 months or perhaps more. Does anyone know anything about how I would go about this? I would of course work, hence work permit. But I am looked online and there doesn't seem to be much there, as in I haven't come across a site the promotes straight forward contacts or locations of who and where to start with.

Perhaps one of you could help?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:55:43 PM
At 5/2/2012 7:43:56 PM, GodSands wrote:
I want to do something while I am young and able, I would like to live in America for 6 months or perhaps more. Does anyone know anything about how I would go about this? I would of course work, hence work permit. But I am looked online and there doesn't seem to be much there, as in I haven't come across a site the promotes straight forward contacts or locations of who and where to start with.

Another thing, there are a lot of Americans on this site. So I would appreciate your help. And yeah, if there wasn't much else, I would, maybe, work and KFC, maybe.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:55:21 PM

Are you of Middle-Eastern descent? If so, don't even bother. They won't give you a visa.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 3:21:13 AM
At 5/2/2012 7:56:51 PM, GodSands wrote:
California would be an ideal state to work in, but I can't be too fussy.

It's not easy. If you're coming here from the UK, you'll probably be visiting as a tourist, in which case you cannot work. If you are coming here as a student, it's a little bit easier, but you'll need a work visa. If you had a job at a company that has locations in both countries it's much easier. For example, if you were working at Wholefoods or Starbucks in the UK, and asked them if you could work in the US for a period of time, they may be receptive to that. If you can secure a job here, prior to actually arriving here you'll fare better (obviously).
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 5:28:47 AM
At 5/2/2012 10:55:21 PM, Korashk wrote:

Are you of Middle-Eastern descent? If so, don't even bother. They won't give you a visa.

No, my nationality is British.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 5:42:35 AM
At 5/3/2012 3:21:13 AM, innomen wrote:

It's not easy. If you're coming here from the UK, you'll probably be visiting as a tourist, in which case you cannot work. If you are coming here as a student, it's a little bit easier, but you'll need a work visa. If you had a job at a company that has locations in both countries it's much easier. For example, if you were working at Wholefoods or Starbucks in the UK, and asked them if you could work in the US for a period of time, they may be receptive to that. If you can secure a job here, prior to actually arriving here you'll fare better (obviously).

Ok, thanks. That does make sense. There is a Starbucks in my town being build right now, so that's interesting. However, I don't really want to quit my current job to work at Starbucks for a year or so just to work in an American Starbucks. I really dislike the word tourist, it is a very stereo-typical word, it makes one stand out as someone different. In that you can visit, but don't you over stay your welcome!

Anyway, I will continue to look, I was up until quite late last night trying to search out possibilities on the net. Can you offer anymore advice?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 9:58:20 AM
At 5/3/2012 5:42:35 AM, GodSands wrote:

Ok, thanks. That does make sense. There is a Starbucks in my town being build right now, so that's interesting. However, I don't really want to quit my current job to work at Starbucks for a year or so just to work in an American Starbucks. I really dislike the word tourist, it is a very stereo-typical word, it makes one stand out as someone different. In that you can visit, but don't you over stay your welcome!

Anyway, I will continue to look, I was up until quite late last night trying to search out possibilities on the net. Can you offer anymore advice?

Yeah, there are also "sanctuary cities", where it is legal for illegals to work, or you don't need to produce papers. This varies from workplace to workplace, but if you look for a sanctuary city in CA, you should find lots of hits, I know near me Cambridge MA is a sanctuary city, and you can generally find work easier - no checking at certain places of employment.

I'd also try and find other foreign nationals who are in the same boat as you and see what they do for work. If you have a trade, you can always offer your services on craigslist, and since you are religious, I might try and see if there are any contacts that you can make on this end through that. One last thing you can try is to volunteer, often if you are volunteering you can bridge it over to paid work. If you are imaginative and ambitious, you can figure a way to make some money. Not to mention that Americans love British accents. I always found that to be an incredibly shallow prejudice, but who cares, it works in your favor.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:16:09 AM
I hear there are a lot of farm-type jobs right now in Arizona.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:21:16 AM
At 5/3/2012 9:58:20 AM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, there are also "sanctuary cities", where it is legal for illegals to work, or you don't need to produce papers. This varies from workplace to workplace, but if you look for a sanctuary city in CA, you should find lots of hits, I know near me Cambridge MA is a sanctuary city, and you can generally find work easier - no checking at certain places of employment.

I'd also try and find other foreign nationals who are in the same boat as you and see what they do for work. If you have a trade, you can always offer your services on craigslist, and since you are religious, I might try and see if there are any contacts that you can make on this end through that. One last thing you can try is to volunteer, often if you are volunteering you can bridge it over to paid work. If you are imaginative and ambitious, you can figure a way to make some money. Not to mention that Americans love British accents. I always found that to be an incredibly shallow prejudice, but who cares, it works in your favor.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll look into it.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:46:44 AM
My dad currently lives in Germany, I am hoping to go see him soon. I will ask him about this when I see him, as he has lived in the States before.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 11:11:51 AM
At 5/3/2012 11:46:44 AM, GodSands wrote:
My dad currently lives in Germany, I am hoping to go see him soon. I will ask him about this when I see him, as he has lived in the States before.

You could disguise yourself as a Mexican (I'm sure you can pickup some ponchos and a sombrero off e-Bay, and bushy moustaches can be bought from any good joke shop) and you could get a job as a taxi driver in Miami - you'd be ideal because, unlike most taxi drivers in Miami, you can speak English.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 11:30:44 AM

You don't have to be a tourist but you could pose as one and make a fortune smuggling drugs into America from Mexico. Mexican drug barons don't care about work permits and, by all accounts, they are a jolly decent bunch of fellows who treat their drug mules with courtesy and respect.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...