Jump to topic:

Homework Thread

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 4:56:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have you ever had homework but didn't know the answer? Well this thread should solve all of your problems! Bring anything onto the table -- geometry, biology, trigonometry, A.P. World History, rocket science, you name it -- and the rest of the DDO community can help you out with your work.

I made this because I myself have a little trouble with my homework now and then, so I guess I'll ask the first question.

Can anyone please explain the relationship between DNA and chromosomes?

(I know that this should be in the Education Forum, but not many people check that forum, so I made it here.)
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:03:47 PM
I have a feeling I will be posting A LOT on this thread in the near future. xD
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:10:39 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:08:44 PM, Koopin wrote:
INB4 all questions and no answers.

I already asked a question, so you were in before there were answers =P
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:26:06 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:03:47 PM, kyro90 wrote:
I have a feeling I will be posting A LOT on this thread in the near future. xD

Feel free to post anytime.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:41:00 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:28:46 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between a multi-nation state and a multi-state nation?

Ummm Just taking a shot in the dark but
multi-nation state=U.N.
multi-state nation=America
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:43:24 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:42:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
i have a feeling that nobody is going to be able to help me out with my nuclear engineering hw :(.

I brushed up on it a bit in middle school.
kfc
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:43:47 PM
Could someone help with me with my Wittgenstein essay due friday? I need to compare his epistemology with his metaphysics - about 3 pages on each topic drawn from On Certainty and Philosophical Investigations? Nothing from Tractus, thanks.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:44:34 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:42:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
i have a feeling that nobody is going to be able to help me out with my nuclear engineering hw :(.

I got a C in intro physics. Bring it on.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:46:36 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:41:00 PM, Cobo wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between a multi-nation state and a multi-state nation?

Ummm Just taking a shot in the dark but
multi-nation state=U.N.
multi-state nation=America

Close. The UN isn't a state. Try the UK as an example. Scotland, for example, is its own nation, but is also within the UK
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 5:56:53 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:43:47 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Could someone help with me with my Wittgenstein essay due friday? I need to compare his epistemology with his metaphysics - about 3 pages on each topic drawn from On Certainty and Philosophical Investigations? Nothing from Tractus, thanks.

I've read and (partially) understood Deleuze. Bring it on.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 6:00:58 PM
Answers to all questions: Google.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 6:04:02 PM
The answer is simple, but there is a widely misunderstood term here. "Nation" is most correctly defined as a group of people, such as Americans, French, Japanese, and so on. Thus, a nation is not necessarily a state.

A multinational state is a country in which multiple nationalities are present. I come from Bosnia and Herzegovina, which is one country but has three constituent peoples, i.e., Serbs, Bosniaks, and Croats. So, this country is multinational because it is one state, but three large ethnic groups.

A "multi-state nation" is simpler: One nation of people are present in more than one state. For example, let's say that England (not the entire UK) split into two halves, and one was renamed Landeng. Although this brings two states, the people within both are of the same nationalities (or ethnic backgrounds), thus Englishmen would be a multi-state nation because they belong to two different states.

An example of a single-state nation are the Jews, because they belong to one state, i.e., Israel.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 6:11:45 PM
At 5/8/2012 4:56:07 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

DNA is a double-stranded helix of nucleotides. This coils around histones (protein) to form chromatin, which looks a lot like a string of beads. These coil up a bit more and form looped domains, when then coil into the chromosomes visible in mitosis during metaphase.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 6:32:07 PM
I forgot to include this in the previous post, but I have a question. How does the methylation of CpG islands regulate gene expression?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 7:17:32 PM
I'd like someone to practice French with me. Although I frequently flaut my ability parler françois, I am not really "comfterable" in French yet.
TheDiabolicDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 11:59:52 PM
At 5/8/2012 5:44:34 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I got a C in intro physics. Bring it on.

How many electrons make up one coulomb of charge?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 1:52:33 AM
Have you ever had homework but didn't know the answer? Well this thread should solve all of your problems! Bring anything onto the table -- geometry, biology, trigonometry, A.P. World History, rocket science, you name it -- and the rest of the DDO community can help you out with your work.

I made this because I myself have a little trouble with my homework now and then, so I guess I'll ask the first question.

(I know that this should be in the Education Forum, but not many people check that forum, so I made it here.)

A chromosome is a section of a DNA structure. They are essentially the 1's ad 0's that comprise our DNA, so to speak.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 2:05:49 AM
At 5/9/2012 1:52:33 AM, Ren wrote:

A chromosome is a section of a DNA structure. They are essentially the 1's ad 0's that comprise our DNA, so to speak.

They're more analogous to drives on your computer (e.g. D: drive, C: drive, except there's a lot more of them). The nucleobases are the 0's and 1s.

Specifically, a chromosome (in eukaryotes) is the bundle of genes and other DNA elements bound up in one structure by chromatin.

From largest to smallest, the levels of analysis at which you might look at DNA that I know how to rank.
The organism's whole genetic code
Chromosome pair.
Chromosome
Gene pair.
Gene.
Nucleotide pair.
Nucleotide.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:11:29 AM
It's a little late for me now, because my presentation is in 2.5 hours but...

If contribution margin is the margin that's left after all costs are removed, so that you can look at it as a per unit profit margin, and gross profit margin is the margin with only the cost of the product removed, not all the other contributing factors that providing a product may cost, How can a CM be greater than a GP?

In my presentation today I will be using my real life accounts from my computer on a screen. I can probably simply skirt the issue, (mostly because we're only paid on GP, and that's all we care about) but it would be nice to have a more concrete understanding of the contribution margin. We've worked with the CM for years, and no one ever really asks much about it.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 9:16:59 AM
At 5/9/2012 5:11:29 AM, innomen wrote:
It's a little late for me now, because my presentation is in 2.5 hours but...

If contribution margin is the margin that's left after all costs are removed, so that you can look at it as a per unit profit margin, and gross profit margin is the margin with only the cost of the product removed, not all the other contributing factors that providing a product may cost, How can a CM be greater than a GP?

In my presentation today I will be using my real life accounts from my computer on a screen. I can probably simply skirt the issue, (mostly because we're only paid on GP, and that's all we care about) but it would be nice to have a more concrete understanding of the contribution margin. We've worked with the CM for years, and no one ever really asks much about it.

CM is not quite the margin after ALL costs are removed, it's the margin after all VARIABLE costs are removed. http://blog.accountingcoach.com...

There's an explanation in that link.

Essentially, you have variable and fixed product costs and variable and fixed administrative costs. GP doesn't subtract any administrative costs, but does subtract both variable and fixed product costs. CM doesn't subtract any fixed costs, but does subtract both the variable product cost and the variable administrative costs.

CM = profits - VC (admin) - VC (product)
GP = profits - FC (product) - VC (product)

So the answer is: CM will be greater than GP when variable administrative costs are less than fixed product costs.

I don't know if you need an explanation for fixed vs. variable costs, but for the product, say clothes, the variable cost would be the cost of the cotton (since if you make more clothes, you need more cotton) whereas the fixed cost would be the cost of renting/maintaing the clothing factory (since you can make more clothes with the same factory). For administrative, variable costs might include salaries of salesmen, since the more clothes you sell, the more salesmen you need, and fixed costs might be marketing costs, since you need to market new products regardless how many of them you manufacture. Although the line between fixed and variable is somewhat blurred. Sometimes it's easier to think of fixed costs as "if you eliminate a product line, would you still need to pay this expense." So CEO compensation might be a better example of an administrative fixed cost.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:16:59 PM
At 5/8/2012 7:17:32 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I'd like someone to practice French with me. Although I frequently flaut my ability parler françois, I am not really "comfterable" in French yet.

Tu peux parler francais avec moi. Cepandant, je suis une 'novice'.
yang.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:43:35 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:16:59 PM, tulle wrote:

Nous sommes novices ensemble!
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:48:59 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:43:35 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 5/9/2012 4:16:59 PM, tulle wrote:

Nous sommes novices ensemble!

Haha fantastique!
yang.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 7:00:27 PM

Je parle un excellent français.