Jump to topic:

Communication Skills and Age

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:21:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It appears to me that communication skills increase with age. I work in a professional environment, a government office, and I am the youngest among my colleagues and it seems my verbal communications skills are slightly less developed than my older peers. I'm 23, most them are 30+.

If you notice, it's usually middle-aged guys who give the eloquent and enticing speeches, not college kids or teens. I'm hoping that I will naturally gain the desired level of speech skill when I reach 27 or so. I always thought that you learn all need to talk by 12, but I guess not.

So do you find that it is true that the older you get the better verbal skills you get?

For the record I don't talk weird, I sound like any college student would. (See my video rap battle if you don't believe me.)

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:35:40 PM
Communication (and especially public speaking) is a skill in itself. I don't think it necessarily gets better with age alone. It takes practice for sure and often conscious effort. Although I'm sure some people are more naturally gifted at it than others.

Also- need link to rap battle video :P
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:42:11 PM
False.

People lose teeth/get coughs with age often.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:57:13 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:42:11 PM, OberHerr wrote:
False.

Wat?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:58:13 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:57:13 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/9/2012 4:42:11 PM, OberHerr wrote:
False.

Wat?

You said communication skills increase with age.

Its a joke.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:11:35 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:21:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It appears to me that communication skills increase with age. I work in a professional environment, a government office, and I am the youngest among my colleagues and it seems my verbal communications skills are slightly less developed than my older peers. I'm 23, most them are 30+.

If you notice, it's usually middle-aged guys who give the eloquent and enticing speeches, not college kids or teens. I'm hoping that I will naturally gain the desired level of speech skill when I reach 27 or so. I always thought that you learn all need to talk by 12, but I guess not.

So do you find that it is true that the older you get the better verbal skills you get?

For the record I don't talk weird, I sound like any college student would. (See my video rap battle if you don't believe me.)

Yes. The older you get, the more you would have interacted with other people. You learn to manage your tones and your words to elicit the responses you want. You pick up on cues through experience that tell you whether what you said or how you said something is good or bad.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 6:20:38 PM
Definitely agree and have actually been noticing this as well. Our brain is always picking up new words and phrases and is constantly developing. The more we hear people speak and the more we speak ourselves, the more we develop different good verbal traits. I think it's similar with writing as well. If you read and write allot you become allot more articulate and eloquent because you're always trying to write well and thus will possess a larger verbal capacity.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 6:44:28 PM
If you merely do something repeatedly skills don't improve. But you try something and it doesn't work well, then try something else, you'll likely improve. I think you'll improve because you are interacting with people who are more adept and you'll learn what works and what does not.

I think if you worked with people on something that did not require higher communication skills, say on a factory production line, there wouldn't be much improvement. Maybe skills relating to day-to-day interactions would improve, but not skills related to communicating complicated concepts.

Here is an experiment. Assuming you have already learned how to drive a car pretty well, next time you drive try consciously to improve your skills. One skill is looking several cars ahead and anticipating what is going to happen. Another skill is always having an "escape" identified if someone cuts you off. My theory is that just trying to work at a higher level also helps. Even for old guys like me.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 6:49:37 PM
At 5/9/2012 6:44:28 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
If you merely do something repeatedly skills don't improve.
Perhaps you're thinking of a different context, but repeating something often does improve your skills. Not to the maximum level though.