Jump to topic:

TV on Religion and Politics

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 2:34:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was verbalising thoughts last night (also called getting high) and I refined my explanation of everything once again and I thought I'd share it with you fine people.

To me, religion is an obvious moral control. It's designed to make people do what one particular group wants them to do. It's clearly a very old idea, but it's become refined along the course of civilisation giving us super-religions like Christianity and Islam. The more aggressive and fear-mongering the more successful. I consider Eastern religion to be much more enlightened, but still utterly bogus as anything other than pure philosophy. Either way, it's all about getting people to do what you by exploiting so-called morality.

It boggles my mind that people can't accept the possibility (and to my logical deduction, the only conclusion) that somewhere along the line, someone come up with the idea of God, never told anyone and it's never been forgotten. It's just so fallacious. Anyway, that's what I think about religion. Bullsh!t to placate the masses.

On to Politics.

The idea of Government is laughable to me and I cringe every time I hear anything about it. What is the government but a greedy middle-man between the people as a whole and the services which a society needs to function? All governments, all political ideologies... They're just a label on the same thing. It provides the illusion of security at the cost of our ever-decreasing freedom. I accept that anarchy nor the free market are perfect but I see it as a lesser of two evils. Politicians make me physically ill with very, very few exceptions. They are being paid to talk and spend money. It's the greatest scam in history.

So yeah... I'm probably going to expand upon things, but that's basically it.

No gods and no masters. Freedom. :/
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:00:02 PM
I don't necessarily believe that polycentric law is superior to monocentric law. However, I am worried about the growth of government and its short-sightedness of it.

Yea, like I was thinking about the housing bubble at one point. Now wow I believe that it was mostly the fault of government, let's say it was the fault of the free market. Does anybody believe that the government would've actually tried to stop it? No, why would they want to stop the purchasing of houses? Politicians practically strive on the ideology that everyone should be able to have a house. Why would they want to stop economic growth even If it is bound to collapse? Unsustainable growth looks for them.

That's kind of how I feel about the education bubble. The government should actually provide disincentives for higher education, however since politicians think that everyone getting an education is "good" they only fuel the bubble.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:08:44 PM
At 5/12/2012 2:34:50 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I was verbalising thoughts last night (also called getting high) and I refined my explanation of everything once again and I thought I'd share it with you fine people.

To me, religion is an obvious moral control. It's designed to make people do what one particular group wants them to do. It's clearly a very old idea, but it's become refined along the course of civilisation giving us super-religions like Christianity and Islam. The more aggressive and fear-mongering the more successful. I consider Eastern religion to be much more enlightened, but still utterly bogus as anything other than pure philosophy. Either way, it's all about getting people to do what you by exploiting so-called morality.

It boggles my mind that people can't accept the possibility (and to my logical deduction, the only conclusion) that somewhere along the line, someone come up with the idea of God, never told anyone and it's never been forgotten. It's just so fallacious. Anyway, that's what I think about religion. Bullsh!t to placate the masses.

On to Politics.

The idea of Government is laughable to me and I cringe every time I hear anything about it. What is the government but a greedy middle-man between the people as a whole and the services which a society needs to function? All governments, all political ideologies... They're just a label on the same thing. It provides the illusion of security at the cost of our ever-decreasing freedom. I accept that anarchy nor the free market are perfect but I see it as a lesser of two evils. Politicians make me physically ill with very, very few exceptions. They are being paid to talk and spend money. It's the greatest scam in history.

Philosophy is our most precious study, and is never 'bogus'. The super-religious refinement is something I think about often. For example, how Christianity has permeated every sector of American society. Whether these people want to admit it or not, most Americans are conditioned with a set of Christian morals that they cannot willingly escape - yet they try so hard to prove to others that they are not Christian. The 'fire and brimstone' method of recruiting individuals is what I refer to as 'fundamentalism,' which is my own skewed term that differs from it's original intention to say, 'the clever over-simplification and greatly manipulative nature of super-religious teachings.'
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 5:49:27 PM
At 5/12/2012 12:05:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Oh, government. It's like being in a bus full of drunk people and asking every so often who's best suited to drive.

Whhen. Whend do wee gett offa dis thing? Whose turn is it tttooo drive agun? I fuckin love you man.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 5:49:41 PM
At 5/12/2012 5:49:27 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/12/2012 12:05:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Oh, government. It's like being in a bus full of drunk people and asking every so often who's best suited to drive.

Whhen. Whend do wee gett offa dis thing? Whose turn is it tttooo drive agun? I fuckin love you man.

- Obama
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 9:52:31 AM
Anyway, that's what I think about religion. Bullsh!t to placate the masses.

Pretty much. I think religion stemmed from humanity's curiosity about the world around them - the idea of god(s) being responsible for things we couldn't understand. Eventually those in power realized that they could manipulate the masses by claiming to have ties to god, claiming to be endorsed by god, claiming to know what god wants and wants people to do (which ever so conveniently just so happened to benefit them), etc. The psychology of religion is very fascinating to me. It reminds me of Stockholm Syndrome.

The idea of Government is laughable to me and I cringe every time I hear anything about it.

Government just refers to the (shall we say) mechanisms that ensure people within a particular society abide by the agreed upon rules of said society. The problem is when you have a monopoly on government, i.e. the State, that force (typically unjust) rules upon you without your consent and no room for choice. Without options and no legitimate way to actually impact the rules that govern you, there's no real incentive for government agents to work in your best interest but rather use their power to enhance their own. Different political parties lie to you to obtain power - that's it. So while the State is unjust and in fact counterproductive, government in general is not. It is incredibly useful. You couldn't really function within a society without some aspect of government outside of "might makes right."
President of DDO
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 10:08:05 AM

DUDE. I was kinda thinking the same thing. Like a movie, and in this movie, a long long time ago, now people who are always trying to control people in some sort of way,realized the power of being able to convince there fellow men that there is a very powerful, angry deity, and this deity wants you to do and not to certain things.

Now of course these things just so happen to coincide with the control groups own agenda.

But it doesn't stop there, people being the pesky bastards they are, start questioning, start considering alternatives. So what the control group needs to do is put in place a system to combat these things.

Kill logical thinking, constant enforcement of what ever beliefs, using ever logical fallacy in the book and the some. Pray on peoples ignorance, pray on there selection bias, slander the alternatives, pray on there fear, pray on there bias, pray well just on their stupidly, create mis information, don't like, tell half truths, tell the truth but leave out important details.

But that could never happen in real life right ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 10:25:43 AM
Pretty much bro.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 10:30:32 AM
Look at the government of your country right now.

What you may not know, is that government is religion.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:49:26 PM
At 5/13/2012 10:30:32 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
What you may not know, is that government is religion.

Making claims about the supernatural are pretty much what separates the two.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 2:11:12 PM
Not all religions make claims of the supernatural. Some governments do

Not all governments forcefully control its believers. Some religions do.

They botb are people regulators. On the surface, religion regulates the internal, and government regulates the external. Truthfully, they both regulate the internal, and that manifests on the external.

Government and religion are the same thing. They are works of magic, the utilization of belief as a tool.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 2:14:58 PM
At 5/13/2012 2:11:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Not all religions make claims of the supernatural.

Proclaiming a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe is generally what separates religion from ideology.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 2:33:08 PM
Those attributes are not any more intrinsic to one than the other.

Some of the first states were governments. In most parts of the world, religion has lost its marketing value to have the authority of tbe state, so other marketing gimmicks had to be made up in order to re-scmuck the population into going back to something marginally different. The result is tbe same thing though, stability or the perceived stability of the populace by constructing an imaginary authority.

The imaginary authority becomes real when people place their faith into it. A religion ceases to have authority when there is no faith. A government ceases to have authority when there is no faith.

The world's engine is faith, and it is fueled with bullshyt.