Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

life is meaning less... prove me wrong!

oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 5:41:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
cientifically life has no meaning. This means that there is no real purpose or goal that life must achieve. (On a side note, we can "make up" goals like achieving perfect happiness, but that is just a goal that is exclusive to species like us.) Anyway, I just wanted to disprove the common thought in evolutionary scientology of "Nature's goal is to reproduce." As a matter of fact there is no more of a "Nature's goal to reproduce" than there is a "Rock's goal to turn into sand." Scientists have come to this misconception the wrong way. Really what happens is the life that cannot reproduce just doesn't exist throughout time so the only life that gets recognized is the life that can. There is no "Goal of Existence" this is just Simple Logic.
I know you probably all *know* this already, I have known this for years, but I thinking this new way will make life even Clearer.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 6:38:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Life might have meaning. We are likely in a computerized simulation. The entities who are running the simulation may be performing an experiment. The meaning of our life may be to prove or disprove a hypothesis. Then life would have meaning after all. Wouldn't that be wonderful!?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 6:46:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/18/2012 6:38:53 PM, vbaculum wrote:
Life might have meaning. We are likely in a computerized simulation. The entities who are running the simulation may be performing an experiment. The meaning of our life may be to prove or disprove a hypothesis. Then life would have meaning after all. Wouldn't that be wonderful!?

Life or human existence has no real meaning or purpose because human existence occurred out of a random chance in nature, and anything that exists by chance has no intended purpose. Life has no meaning, but as humans we try to associate a meaning or purpose so we can justify our existence. There is no point in life, and that is exactly what makes it so stupid.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 6:48:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can the individual provide "meaning" to his life through his own actions and decisions?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 6:52:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/18/2012 6:48:19 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Can the individual provide "meaning" to his life through his own actions and decisions?

The idea that a individual can provide meaning to his life through his own action and decisions is nonsensical, onces actions or decisions don't make life valuable because in reality ones life is useless
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 6:56:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/18/2012 6:53:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
meaning less than what exactly?

I dont understand your question, is life of that your asking what is meaning less?
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 7:52:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/18/2012 6:56:58 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:53:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
meaning less than what exactly?

I dont understand your question, is life of that your asking what is meaning less?

Meaningless and meaning less are two very different things my friend.
The former is demonstrably untrue; as soon as I decide to apply meaning to life, then it has meaning. The latter depends on what it is being compared to.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 8:02:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/18/2012 7:52:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:56:58 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:53:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
meaning less than what exactly?

I dont understand your question, is life of that your asking what is meaning less?

Meaningless and meaning less are two very different things my friend.
The former is demonstrably untrue; as soon as I decide to apply meaning to life, then it has meaning. The latter depends on what it is being compared to.

Thank whatever god may or may not exist. This to the nth degree.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 9:20:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/18/2012 7:52:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:56:58 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:53:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
meaning less than what exactly?

I don't understand your question, is life of that your asking what is meaning less?

Meaningless and meaning less are two very different things my friend.
The former is demonstrably untrue; as soon as I decide to apply meaning to life, then it has meaning. The latter depends on what it is being compared to.

first of all I don't believe that there is such a phrase or word of that stated, meaning less. AND I would appreciate if you could elaborate on how the former is demonstrably untrue... really I want to hear your opinion with logic not emotion (I because I morality doesn't exist) All things are subject to interpretation( in this case purposeless) whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 1:40:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 9:20:22 AM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 7:52:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:56:58 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:53:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
meaning less than what exactly?

I don't understand your question, is life of that your asking what is meaning less?

Meaningless and meaning less are two very different things my friend.
The former is demonstrably untrue; as soon as I decide to apply meaning to life, then it has meaning. The latter depends on what it is being compared to.

first of all I don't believe that there is such a phrase or word of that stated, meaning less.
"This is meaning less than I thought."
"This is meaningless"
Two very different meanings.

AND I would appreciate if you could elaborate on how the former is demonstrably untrue... really I want to hear your opinion with logic not emotion (I because I morality doesn't exist)

I already have; if I give something meaning, it has meaning. I have chosen to give my life meaning, ergo it has meaning. I never claimed it to have meaning in a metaphysical sense.

All things are subject to interpretation( in this case purposeless) whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

Irrelevant comment.
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 3:58:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 1:40:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/19/2012 9:20:22 AM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 7:52:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:56:58 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/18/2012 6:53:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
meaning less than what exactly?

I don't understand your question, is life of that your asking what is meaning less?

Meaningless and meaning less are two very different things my friend.
The former is demonstrably untrue; as soon as I decide to apply meaning to life, then it has meaning. The latter depends on what it is being compared to.


Sorry, I only mean meaningless;not meaning less, my fault, now could you prove life has meaning
first of all I don't believe that there is such a phrase or word of that stated, meaning less.
"This is meaning less than I thought."
"This is meaningless"
Two very different meanings.


again sorry for the confusion.

AND I would appreciate if you could elaborate on how the former is demonstrably untrue... really I want to hear your opinion with logic not emotion (I because I morality doesn't exist)

I already have; if I give something meaning, it has meaning. I have chosen to give my life meaning, ergo it has meaning. I never claimed it to have meaning in a metaphysical sense.


In a logical sense life does not have meaning, you choosing to give meaning to life is a mere preferences, life is meaningless, preferences have meanings. Just out of curiosity how would you give life purpose in your case?
All things are subject to interpretation( in this case purposeless) whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

Irrelevant comment.

I'm happy you disagree, but please explain why this is irrelevant in you mind, and why it should be irrelevant in my mind
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 5:23:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 5:07:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Are you sure? Did you google it?

FREEDO, im not going to answer you from here on, your personal attack on be me on to of my posts demonstrate your emotional weakness and lack of self esteem. FREEDO please get someone else to bother because i really don't care, instead of bullying people on line, go outside makes of friends and develop some social skills so you can build your self esteem
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 5:27:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 5:23:56 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 5:07:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Are you sure? Did you google it?

FREEDO, im not going to answer you from here on, your personal attack on be me on to of my posts demonstrate your emotional weakness and lack of self esteem. FREEDO please get someone else to bother because i really don't care, instead of bullying people on line, go outside makes of friends and develop some social skills so you can build your self esteem

Your going to have so much fun here oreostar. :)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
kyro90
Posts: 4,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 5:29:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 5:27:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/19/2012 5:23:56 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 5:07:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Are you sure? Did you google it?

FREEDO, im not going to answer you from here on, your personal attack on be me on to of my posts demonstrate your emotional weakness and lack of self esteem. FREEDO please get someone else to bother because i really don't care, instead of bullying people on line, go outside makes of friends and develop some social skills so you can build your self esteem

Your going to have so much fun here oreostar. :)

Hes been here for like 3 months lol.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 5:48:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You know what is really weird? Going from jobless and homeless in Utah to graduating college and having all the money you could wish to spend in your bank account in the span of three years. Really, who the fvuck does that?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 5:51:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 5:45:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I am drinking a fine wine in a mardi gras cup.

Ew. Wine.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 5:52:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 5:51:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/19/2012 5:45:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I am drinking a fine wine in a mardi gras cup.

Ew. Wine.

Wait till you hit 42 son.
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.

adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

Also, 42.

Life has meanings; lots of them.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 6:20:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.


adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...


Also, 42.

Life has meanings; lots of them.

win
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 6:24:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 5:48:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
You know what is really weird? Going from jobless and homeless in Utah to graduating college and having all the money you could wish to spend in your bank account in the span of three years. Really, who the fvuck does that?

LolOL, the liqua making you feel yourself?

You're right, though. That's fackin' awesome. Feel the glow of that shit. ^_^
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 6:29:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 6:24:08 PM, Ren wrote:
At 5/19/2012 5:48:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
You know what is really weird? Going from jobless and homeless in Utah to graduating college and having all the money you could wish to spend in your bank account in the span of three years. Really, who the fvuck does that?

LolOL, the liqua making you feel yourself?

You're right, though. That's fackin' awesome. Feel the glow of that shit. ^_^

I love you Ren!
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 6:41:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.


adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

No, of your definition give life meaning, it only defines what a living thing, not the purpose of life, please use logic, the dictionary cant define the meaning of life because logically its meaningless and on biological
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 6:51:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 6:41:30 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.


adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

No, of your definition give life meaning, it only defines what a living thing, not the purpose of life, please use logic, the dictionary cant define the meaning of life because logically its meaningless and on biological

The meaning of life may depend or be contingent on whatever definition you ascribe to "life"...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
oreostar
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 7:42:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 6:51:01 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:41:30 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.


adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...


The meaning of life may depend or be contingent on whatever definition you ascribe to "life"...

life has no meaning logical that is a fact, if you prefer to choose to be illogical great, that does not make it a fact it true. end of this topic
unless, we what to discuss death?
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 7:44:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 7:42:09 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:51:01 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:41:30 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.


adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...


The meaning of life may depend or be contingent on whatever definition you ascribe to "life"...

life has no meaning logical that is a fact, if you prefer to choose to be illogical great, that does not make it a fact it true. end of this topic
unless, we what to discuss death?

If you were to use logic or even common sense, then you may have realized that "meaning" was to denote the literal, not purpose or essence, definition of the word "life"....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 7:46:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/19/2012 7:44:47 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 5/19/2012 7:42:09 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:51:01 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:41:30 PM, oreostar wrote:
At 5/19/2012 6:20:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
life  [lahyf] plural lives  [lahyvz]
noun
1.
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

4.
a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.
the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.


adjective
26.
for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment.

27.
of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.

28.
working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class.

http://dictionary.reference.com...


The meaning of life may depend or be contingent on whatever definition you ascribe to "life"...

life has no meaning logical that is a fact, if you prefer to choose to be illogical great, that does not make it a fact it true. end of this topic
unless, we what to discuss death?

If you were to use logic or even common sense, then you may have realized that "meaning" was to denote the literal, not purpose or essence, definition of the word "life"....

Perhaps we should ask...how do you define life?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau