Jump to topic:

Getting Published

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:40:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Has anyone ever had a novel or any book published before?

I've got a manuscript but am not too sure of what to do next. I don't want to self publish, I want to be published.

Does anyone have any tips or experience?
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:43:48 PM
At 5/22/2012 7:40:18 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I've got a manuscript but am not too sure of what to do next. I don't want to self publish, I want to be published.

I have published a book before, but it was a small book that was a huge flop. I suggest trying to find a publisher online or find one in your local area. The best advice I can give you is go to your local paper and ask the editors and publishers how to do it. They are trained on this kind of stuff. This is the best I can give you.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:45:51 PM
At 5/22/2012 7:43:48 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:

I have published a book before, but it was a small book that was a huge flop. I suggest trying to find a publisher online or find one in your local area. The best advice I can give you is go to your local paper and ask the editors and publishers how to do it. They are trained on this kind of stuff. This is the best I can give you.

I write for the paper and asked my editor but she didn't know any novel publishers sadly.

Thanks for the help.
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:49:10 PM
At 5/22/2012 7:45:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/22/2012 7:43:48 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:

I write for the paper and asked my editor but she didn't know any novel publishers sadly.

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome. I hope you find a publisher. Also, if there is multiple papers for your city, investigate multiple papers. I live in Anchorage, a not very popular city, but it has 3 newspapers.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 8:10:19 PM
At 5/22/2012 8:04:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
You can skip the middleman and put your book on amazon kindle.

https://kdp.amazon.com...

Hmmm actually this looks interesting.

I don't want to sell my book short but I might have to keep an eye on this.

Thanks a bunch!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 8:41:29 PM
What is your book about comrade?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 8:49:48 PM
At 5/22/2012 8:41:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
What is your book about comrade?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 9:16:12 PM
Self-publishing is easy, and you can make tons of money without having to go through the obnoxious standard publishing route.

http://mises.org...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:05:19 AM

It's going to be tough. I had a manuscript last year that I sent to a bunch of publishers, and none of them even responded to my email. I would recommend sending it to an agent first if you have the money. I didn't :/

Publishers take agent submissions more seriously.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:06:54 AM
I would NOT recommend self-publishing. The success stories are very rare; most people flop and sell 10 copies to friends and family. I know a solid author who tried to self-publish and who made very little money. This man previously posted his books online and had over a million downloads. People are not that willing to pay for self-published content.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:29:37 AM
I've done a few articles for Cracked.com. its a humor website. They offered me a position as a columnist but I don't think I can be consistently funny like some of the other writers on the site.
#BlackLivesMatter
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:46:31 AM
At 5/23/2012 7:29:37 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
I've done a few articles for Cracked.com. its a humor website. They offered me a position as a columnist but I don't think I can be consistently funny like some of the other writers on the site.

Non-topical to the OP, but cracked.com is great.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 8:22:50 AM
At 5/23/2012 7:46:31 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Non-topical to the OP, but cracked.com is great.

I forgot to suggest that some of the guys on the site have gone self publish, but the key to that is word of mouth. Whatever website your book appeals to, use those websites. Offer a free chapter or something. If your book is good, they will buy it.

But if its really good, just try a few publishers man.
#BlackLivesMatter
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 8:26:03 AM
At 5/23/2012 7:06:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I would NOT recommend self-publishing. The success stories are very rare; most people flop and sell 10 copies to friends and family. I know a solid author who tried to self-publish and who made very little money. This man previously posted his books online and had over a million downloads. People are not that willing to pay for self-published content.

To be fair, most people flop finding a publisher anyways. So its kind of a lose/lose situation.

John Green is a famous vlogger and a best selling author. He has some videos on advice for authors.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 9:13:45 AM
Ugh, horror stories about this. I have a friend who really wants to be a writer and has written two book each about 600-700 pages and they got sent to publishers - NOTHING. All the effort down the drain.

He's on his third book now. God bless.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 9:31:32 AM
At 5/23/2012 9:13:45 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Ugh, horror stories about this. I have a friend who really wants to be a writer and has written two book each about 600-700 pages and they got sent to publishers - NOTHING. All the effort down the drain.

God bless? You're a theist?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 9:51:54 AM
At 5/23/2012 9:31:32 AM, MouthWash wrote:

God bless? You're a theist?

Just an expression.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 9:57:19 AM

That's what kills me.

All that effort. Allllll that effort.

I guess it's best to just get into something you're passionate about for its own sake.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 10:10:05 AM
@ConservativePolitico,

What do you write about? How much do you write every day?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 10:13:02 AM

Hey which articles are yours? I'll probably be able to remember them.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 12:58:36 PM
Glen Beck has a new publishing company I would call there and see if they would read your novel. Its new but Beck is well known, that's what I would do.
Me
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 1:01:24 PM
I would say you need an agent dude. I've never heard of any big books that didn't have an agent getting them to the publishers.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 2:58:48 PM
At 5/23/2012 10:10:05 AM, MouthWash wrote:
@ConservativePolitico,

I write fiction. I've done everything from sci-fi to fantasy. The manuscript I have is fantasy. When writing at my peak I was doing roughly 2500-3000 words a day. I took a little break and am starting a second book (unrelated) while I let my other one sit. I need to back and reread it and revise it myself this summer while preparing to send it somewhere or figure out what to do next.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 3:02:17 PM
At 5/23/2012 2:58:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
@ConservativePolitico,

I write fiction. I've done everything from sci-fi to fantasy. The manuscript I have is fantasy. When writing at my peak I was doing roughly 2500-3000 words a day. I took a little break and am starting a second book (unrelated) while I let my other one sit. I need to back and reread it and revise it myself this summer while preparing to send it somewhere or figure out what to do next.

Can I read it?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 3:14:38 PM
At 5/23/2012 2:58:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
@ConservativePolitico,

Spread portions of your book around to different authors, writing forums, writing sites. Much of selling books is name recognition. If you can get your name out there, it will be easier. Have you tried submitting any shorter works or portions of your story to any statewide or national contests (through literary magazines, etc.)? Because if a publisher has two books to choose from, both are very good, but, one of the author has won writing competitions etc. while the other has not, guess which they are going to choose? Just a thought.