Jump to topic:

Graduate Records Exam

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:09:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So I had to take the GRE last week. I was kind of nervous about taking it and was not sure if I should study for it or not. I felt pretty confident I could make a passing grade without studying if my little brother was able to pass on the first try. When I sat down to take the test, I was surprised at how really tough the quantitative reasoning section was. I think I almost ran out of time. Anyways, my department only needed a 292 and I managed to squeak by with a 314 (340 is max). At least the writing part was fun and easy. Thanks to the time I waste on this site, I easily handled the writing prompt. They gave statistics that tried to argue that increasing rates of helmet usage led to more bicycle accidents. Very easy to shred the argument to itty bits. Looking back though, I think it was kind of foolish to walk in totally unprepared. I made the test taking a lot harder than it needed to be.

Anyways, my advice for anyone taking the GRE is to at least read over a basic strategy guide on test taking even if you do not want to invest the time to take the practice tests (the dang test itself took four hours).
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 11:24:38 AM
Yes, study test strategy. Way back when the earth was young and I took the SAT, I started out obeying the published advice not to guess if you don't know the answer. I finally figured out that it pays to guess if you can eliminate en one answer as being definitely wrong. By scores improved significantly. The basic test strategy is eliminate wrong answers,rather than be certain of the right answer.

Curing nervousness involves taking lots of tests, so the important one is then just one more test. That can be done with practice tts or repeating the real test.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 1:35:25 PM
I didn't study for the GRE and I did OK, not great I guess but it got me into grad school :P The test was pretty useless if you ask me.
Rob