Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are You Afraid Of Death *

inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 12:26:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Death is a sure thing. But noone knows when or where she will strike next.
Whether or not you believe in the after-life that is irrelevent. I want to know are you as a person, afraid to die. You dont know what is on the other side, do you ?
You dont know if your life will be judged by what you have or have not done.
Perhaps the feeling is just natural. Or perhaps it is only human to fear something that is out of your control. Something so sudden. Something so life altering
and vaguely disturbing. It defies any scientific logic that you can muster. You cannot go under it, or around it. It can change you in an instant. Everything in life is not guaranteed. But death is a sure thing. Are you afraid to die.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 12:28:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am not.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 12:29:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was helping one of my younger siblings with a book report earlier this week, so I read the book that the teacher had assigned, I am Fifteen and I Don't Want to Die. The main character summed up my sentiments very nicely at one point in the novel. I'm not afraid of death itself, but I am afraid of the process. I don't want to suffer before I die . . .
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 12:37:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Absolutely terrified. I hope to god they invent some way of extending human life far further than 80~ years before I get old. It's far too little time.
Reason_Alliance
Posts: 1,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 12:45:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 12:26:20 PM, inferno wrote:
Death is a sure thing. But noone knows when or where she will strike next.
Whether or not you believe in the after-life that is irrelevent. I want to know are you as a person, afraid to die. You dont know what is on the other side, do you ?
You dont know if your life will be judged by what you have or have not done.
Perhaps the feeling is just natural. Or perhaps it is only human to fear something that is out of your control. Something so sudden. Something so life altering
and vaguely disturbing. It defies any scientific logic that you can muster. You cannot go under it, or around it. It can change you in an instant. Everything in life is not guaranteed. But death is a sure thing. Are you afraid to die.

When I was in the military, my first night jump as a SOWT, death & I came to a good understanding. He'll be around again, but if we don't come to a similar understanding, then there's no fear either way :-)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 12:54:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not at all. Nil fear.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:05:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:03:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I think you guys saying you aren't at all afraid of death would feel differently if you had a gun in your mouth.

Reality is bigger than fantasy. Some people think that the latter is the same.
But can one really comprehend what it is truly like to have you life in the hands of another right now. I think not.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:08:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:03:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I think you guys saying you aren't at all afraid of death would feel differently if you had a gun in your mouth.

Maybe I'm just afraid of guns.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:08:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:03:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I think you guys saying you aren't at all afraid of death would feel differently if you had a gun in your mouth.

Yes, because that is a particularly fearful process of dying.

The process by which we die differs from death itself.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:10:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No.

But, I really, really don't want to die.

It's like... this here, is Heaven. Earth is dope.

I don't want to go.

People are shiitty... but, they're not all there is to it.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:12:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.

No. But where you go afterwards may make all the difference in the world.
This world is all you know. My friend, you are in deep trouble if you think this is so........
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:18:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:12:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.

No. But where you go afterwards may make all the difference in the world.
This world is all you know. My friend, you are in deep trouble if you think this is so........

Where I will go is in the ground.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:21:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:18:49 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:12:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.

No. But where you go afterwards may make all the difference in the world.
This world is all you know. My friend, you are in deep trouble if you think this is so........

Where I will go is in the ground.

And into the abyss of darkness.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:30:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:21:44 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:18:49 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:12:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.

No. But where you go afterwards may make all the difference in the world.
This world is all you know. My friend, you are in deep trouble if you think this is so........

Where I will go is in the ground.

And into the abyss of darkness.

Fine with me.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:33:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:30:27 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:21:44 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:18:49 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:12:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.

No. But where you go afterwards may make all the difference in the world.
This world is all you know. My friend, you are in deep trouble if you think this is so........

Where I will go is in the ground.

And into the abyss of darkness.

Fine with me.

And then on to the pits of Hell..........
Reason_Alliance
Posts: 1,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:44:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:03:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I think you guys saying you aren't at all afraid of death would feel differently if you had a gun in your mouth.

Nah, just kinda disturbed there's someone thinking about a gun in my mouth.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:46:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The abstract concept of "death" does not really disturb me. Which is not to say I wouldn't have an involuntary physiological response to being put in a life threatening situation.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:56:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not afraid of death itself so much as I am afraid I won't be able to do all the things I want to do before it comes.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:56:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:33:41 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:30:27 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:21:44 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:18:49 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:12:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 6/7/2012 1:10:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Look, when I am dead what happens now doesn't make any difference AT ALL.

No. But where you go afterwards may make all the difference in the world.
This world is all you know. My friend, you are in deep trouble if you think this is so........

Where I will go is in the ground.

And into the abyss of darkness.

Fine with me.

And then on to the pits of Hell..........

Partay!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
caveat
Posts: 2,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 1:58:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:10:20 PM, Ren wrote:
No.

But, I really, really don't want to die.

It's like... this here, is Heaven. Earth is dope.

I don't want to go.

People are shiitty... but, they're not all there is to it.

This. 100%.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 2:04:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:56:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
I'm not afraid of death itself so much as I am afraid I won't be able to do all the things I want to do before it comes.

That may be true. Spoken like a true Free-Thinking girl. Fearless and care-free. Nice pic by the way.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 4:07:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:03:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I think you guys saying you aren't at all afraid of death would feel differently if you had a gun in your mouth.

I used to be absolutely terrified of death. Then, three things happened:

Seven years ago, my brother was put on death row. Death no longer became this mysterious boogeyman to be avoided. Death was a countdown.

Three years ago, I was walking home when I was dragged into an alley by 4 guys. One held a gun at my chest, which he showed me was loaded, while the other 3 picked my pockets. After those guys ran off, the gunman stayed and it was clear he was contemplating whether or not to kill me. Once again, death was an inevitability and the certainty of it all was almost comforting. I started taking to him about myself - mostly I just wanted to think about my girl a little longer - and I guess something clicked because he left.

9 months ago, my best friend and I were crossing the street when a car hit us. I was fine. She wasn't. As I watched her die, the same prevailing message hit me that I felt in the prison and in that alley: death is a foregone conclusion and there's not a damned thing we can do about it. I used to think of it as an end to a story. Now I know it's just an escape from the insanity.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 4:11:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm afraid of pain, not death. Death is the purest peace
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 4:14:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 1:03:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I think you guys saying you aren't at all afraid of death would feel differently if you had a gun in your mouth.

Not fearing something and not caring are two separate things.
yang.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 4:22:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 4:19:11 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Can't be afraid of death if you were never alive.

How the hell are you THIS wise? Are you high or something?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 4:30:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I dunno. Turns out, you can't actually make meaningful predictions about future brain states. It's like saying "I would be much happier if X", or "What if I had such and such identity instead of this one?" It's not meaningful because you're trying to evaluate those things from your current brain chemistry. If I actually was dying, my behavior would probably diverge wildly from what I predicted my behavior would be.