Jump to topic:

Would you _____?

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:22:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
take a 7K a year pay cut if the benefits package is more extensive and in the long run there's more opportunity for growth and upward mobility?

I have a fairly high-paying job now, but the benefits are abysmal to the point of being laughable. There is also little room for potential advancement. However, I seem to be a serious prospect in the eyes of a new firm that would offer 7K less a year (base salary, but you can and are expected to make more through commission) and their benefits are 1,000 times better. There also seems to be much more room for advancement.

In the end, it's all ultimately a gamble (no guarantees in life) but I'm trying to make the most appropriate decision in the long-run.

I don't want to leave the safety and security of a stable income if this other one falls through, but I conversely don't want to miss out on a better, long-term opportunity.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:42:55 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:22:02 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
take a 7K a year pay cut if the benefits package is more extensive and in the long run there's more opportunity for growth and upward mobility?

I have a fairly high-paying job now, but the benefits are abysmal to the point of being laughable. There is also little room for potential advancement. However, I seem to be a serious prospect in the eyes of a new firm that would offer 7K less a year (base salary, but you can and are expected to make more through commission) and their benefits are 1,000 times better. There also seems to be much more room for advancement.

In the end, it's all ultimately a gamble (no guarantees in life) but I'm trying to make the most appropriate decision in the long-run.

I don't want to leave the safety and security of a stable income if this other one falls through, but I conversely don't want to miss out on a better, long-term opportunity.

Determination based on an absolute number is hard. I would have provided a percentage. If that applied to my situation... I'd probably take it.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:47:45 PM
This is another reason why universal health care should be implemented.
I would take it BTW.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:49:42 PM
Is there no way to bargain with your current employer? I don't know what kind of business you work for, but my mom and I both have had moments like this. When we told our current employer why we would be compelled to leave, we were then given a raise. I don't know if that would applicable in your scenario.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:09:58 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:49:42 PM, Oryus wrote:
Is there no way to bargain with your current employer? I don't know what kind of business you work for, but my mom and I both have had moments like this. When we told our current employer why we would be compelled to leave, we were then given a raise. I don't know if that would applicable in your scenario.:

The employees and employers are embroiled in a collective bargaining debacle currently, and they're flying in from Atlanta to do damage control. I wrote a humble compendium of complaints and solutions to them (annonymously!!!) and I assume they're coming in to discuss the terms.

I basically outlined it in collective language like "we," and detailed how they've not adjusted for inflation in 4 years and do the bare minimum by law when it comes to insurance. They completely dropped the 401K plan. They insist that we get paid way too much.

The counter-argument is that while we are compensated well, we get paid the same as we did 4 years and this city is booming, which is exponentionally increasing the cost of living. Secondly, they get paid a certain percentage higher regardless of what we get paid.

So if I make $43K they make $60K on me alone. Now extrapolate that 30 times and you see they're a multi-million dollar company.

Anyway, they're stubborn and are coming pretty close to getting throat punched.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:11:23 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:48:36 PM, drafterman wrote:
Don't consider it a loss, consider it an investment.:

That kind of is my mindset, I'm just terrified of leaving something that is currently stable for something that might not be. Plus it's a completely different job altogether.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:17:25 PM
At 6/13/2012 4:11:23 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 6/13/2012 3:48:36 PM, drafterman wrote:
Don't consider it a loss, consider it an investment.:

That kind of is my mindset, I'm just terrified of leaving something that is currently stable for something that might not be. Plus it's a completely different job altogether.

Tell me about it. Our contract just expired and whiled am all but confirmed to be picked up by the new contractor, it is still causing no small amount of anxiety.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 5:25:53 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:22:02 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

If you're comfortable, I wouldn't.

But, then again (shhhh, this is a secret), I don't base my life around my career.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 5:27:44 PM
Also, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you have a family, or if you intend to have one, and to hell with the job security. Those are petty concerns.

So, in making your decision, I'd say the best option is to remain complacent.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 5:37:39 PM
At 6/13/2012 4:09:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 6/13/2012 3:49:42 PM, Oryus wrote:
Is there no way to bargain with your current employer? I don't know what kind of business you work for, but my mom and I both have had moments like this. When we told our current employer why we would be compelled to leave, we were then given a raise. I don't know if that would applicable in your scenario.:

The employees and employers are embroiled in a collective bargaining debacle currently, and they're flying in from Atlanta to do damage control. I wrote a humble compendium of complaints and solutions to them (annonymously!!!) and I assume they're coming in to discuss the terms.

I basically outlined it in collective language like "we," and detailed how they've not adjusted for inflation in 4 years and do the bare minimum by law when it comes to insurance. They completely dropped the 401K plan. They insist that we get paid way too much.

The counter-argument is that while we are compensated well, we get paid the same as we did 4 years and this city is booming, which is exponentionally increasing the cost of living. Secondly, they get paid a certain percentage higher regardless of what we get paid.

So if I make $43K they make $60K on me alone. Now extrapolate that 30 times and you see they're a multi-million dollar company.

Anyway, they're stubborn and are coming pretty close to getting throat punched.

lol punch that throat!

But yeah, it's a difficult call. My mom pretty much had the same thing happen to her recently (pay cut for a job with better benefits and more opportunities for advancement. Also, the new company's mgmt actually considered the employees' concerns). I ended up encouraging her to take the new job and she ended up doing so. In the end, your health and well-being are important. So if you're sacrificing 7k for your health and (more likely) raises in the future, it seems worth it to me.

I'd say take it. Also, if that company does go down the tubes, it sounds like you probably have the credentials to find an equally suitable job. I think you'd be aight. Get those benefits, yo!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 5:17:04 PM
Um, benefits are equal to wages. So many people dismiss this as though companies are supposed to provide benefits. If the benefits are better I can assure you, you are not taking a pay cut. You are most likely being paid more if you figure in the cost of the benefits that are being paid on your behalf. Can you buy an insurance policy equal to the insurance you would get at this new company for less than 7k a year? If not, you would be getting a raise not a pay cut.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%