Jump to topic:

LSAT Prep

CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 5:47:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So Im prepping for the LSATs and want some input (if others have taken it). Is it worth taking a prep course like Kaplan? If not, what resources would you recommend?
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 5:49:51 PM
Don't know much about it personally, but all the people I know who've taken it say that the best way to study is to take as many practice tests as you can. Also I hear an intro to logic class helps if you haven't taken one yet.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Reluctant_Liberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 1:16:22 AM
At 7/1/2012 5:49:51 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Don't know much about it personally, but all the people I know who've taken it say that the best way to study is to take as many practice tests as you can. Also I hear an intro to logic class helps if you haven't taken one yet.

Just took the LSAT, I agree with the practice test thing. The one section you might want to focus on is the Logic Games. You need strategy for that more than the other sections.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 2:26:47 PM
At 7/4/2012 1:16:22 AM, Reluctant_Liberal wrote:

Just took the LSAT, I agree with the practice test thing. The one section you might want to focus on is the Logic Games. You need strategy for that more than the other sections.

This is true. They have riddles that can get kind of complicated if you don't immediately know how to construct the argument in your head or on paper to glean some intricacy.

The rest is logic questions and pattern decryption, in my memory. I took a practice test only. Scored decent.

The best way to prepare for the LSAT is to take as many practice tests as possible, to familiarize yourself with that mode of thinking, as well as the general means of answering each question (like the pattern questions).

Because, to be honest, I think the most challenging part of the test is the time constraints.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 2:27:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the LSAT organization website still has tests from previous years that you can take and score, as well.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 2:48:03 AM
I just started studying for the LSAT yesterday (planning to take it in October), so I'm no expert, but I do think that how you study really depends on what kind of score you are aiming for and what kind of score you are currently scoring on a practice test. I'm just planning to take a couple timed practice tests a week, and go over everything I get wrong in excruciating detail. I don't think a prep course is necessary, it's mostly a waste of time and money.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 10:41:38 PM
At 7/1/2012 5:47:31 PM, CiRrK wrote:
So Im prepping for the LSATs and want some input (if others have taken it). Is it worth taking a prep course like Kaplan? If not, what resources would you recommend?

Kaplan is sh!t. Powerscore is the way to go.

btw. Avoid Princeton Review stuff. Nolo is awful too.

Intro logic classes are useful to an extent, but not as useful as devoting your life to the Logical Reasoning Bible, Logic Games Bible and Reading Comprehension Bible.

Focus primarily on the Logical Reasoning bible and the Logic Games Bible. If you went to college, the Reading Comprehension Bible should be pretty redundant.

Online classes are cool, but expensive.

IQ Scores and LSAT Scores do loosely correlate, but be careful about reading too deeply into that.

Keep everything fresh in your mind.

Reread everything.

Fvck the experimental section.

Don't walk in thinking that the LSAT is as easy as the SAT. The Reading Comp. Section is. Nothing else is.

And the single most important thing:

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

The logical reasoning questions aren't like judging debates. You have to pay explicit attention to detail on the LSAT. You cannot afford to misunderstand anything.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 10:45:41 PM
At 7/4/2012 2:26:47 PM, Ren wrote:
At 7/4/2012 1:16:22 AM, Reluctant_Liberal wrote:

This is true. They have riddles that can get kind of complicated if you don't immediately know how to construct the argument in your head or on paper to glean some intricacy.

The rest is logic questions and pattern decryption, in my memory. I took a practice test only. Scored decent.

The best way to prepare for the LSAT is to take as many practice tests as possible, to familiarize yourself with that mode of thinking, as well as the general means of answering each question (like the pattern questions).

Because, to be honest, I think the most challenging part of the test is the time constraints.

The logic games section is important, but only accounts for a portion of the test. Logical Reasoning is most important (and a necessary prerequisite to success on the games).

The time constraints are the most difficult aspect, but they don't make the test impossible. They separate the men from the boys (or women from girls, if you are female).
Tsar of DDO