Jump to topic:

Combatting Insomnia

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 3:36:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a fairly personal account but I do want to be brief.

My sleep patterns seems to be rather poor and often inconsistent at times; I often become fixated on some thoughts, images, etc. before sleeping and thus have a rough time simply sleeping.

Now, considering the relative brevity of this post, I did post this here just for some general advice relating to personal experiences for sheer individual insight.

And share away that insight.:-)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 3:40:03 AM
I doubt anyone posting at this time could offer much insight.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 4:50:13 AM
I used to have trouble sleeping, but I got confused about the cause-effect going on. I noticed that I always thought about the fact that I couldn't sleep when I couldn't sleep, so I tried to solve the problem by thinking about other things (the counting sheep advice). It didn't work, because the reasons I couldn't sleep had nothing to do with that. I suspect something similar is happening with you.

Advice:

- Always go to sleep at a regular time, within 15 minutes each night.
- Never watch any films/videos/music which invoke excitement or other emotions before going to bed. Even fast paced books can be bad.
- Have a routine before going to bed so your body knows when to shut down.
- If there's something stressful going on the next day which is stopping you from sleeping, don't avoid thinking about it. Suppressing it just makes you more worried. Your mind will even wander to other subjects if you let it do its own thing.
- Don't eat heavily before going to bed. Fruit is good.
- Exercise sometimes during the day. If you are physically tired you'll get to sleep more easily. Plus, exercise has tons of other benefits. You don't have to go to the gym, just do easy exercises (jogging, push-ups, sit ups). Do this at least a couple of hours before you go to sleep, though. You don't want adrenaline in your system when you try to sleep.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 7:52:25 AM
At 7/6/2012 4:50:13 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I used to have trouble sleeping, but I got confused about the cause-effect going on. I noticed that I always thought about the fact that I couldn't sleep when I couldn't sleep, so I tried to solve the problem by thinking about other things (the counting sheep advice). It didn't work, because the reasons I couldn't sleep had nothing to do with that. I suspect something similar is happening with you.

Advice:

Oh god
- Never watch any films/videos/music which invoke excitement or other emotions before going to bed. Even fast paced books can be bad.
Oh god
- If there's something stressful going on the next day which is stopping you from sleeping, don't avoid thinking about it. Suppressing it just makes you more worried. Your mind will even wander to other subjects if you let it do its own thing.
Oh heeeellll no
- Exercise sometimes during the day. If you are physically tired you'll get to sleep more easily. Plus, exercise has tons of other benefits. You don't have to go to the gym, just do easy exercises (jogging, push-ups, sit ups). Do this at least a couple of hours before you go to sleep, though. You don't want adrenaline in your system when you try to sleep.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 8:00:01 AM
At 7/6/2012 3:36:55 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

My sleep patterns seems to be rather poor and often inconsistent at times; I often become fixated on some thoughts, images, etc. before sleeping and thus have a rough time simply sleeping.

Now, considering the relative brevity of this post, I did post this here just for some general advice relating to personal experiences for sheer individual insight.

When you are old enough, there are two alternatives:

1 - Drink booze;
2 - Have sex: after sex a man's body releases a hormone which acts like a sleeping draught (something the ladies all-too-often fail to appreciate and, as a result, a man can be wrongly accused of being insensitive and unromantic).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 9:00:33 AM

When I find it difficult to go to sleep, I don't try to go to sleep. Rather I lie in bed, close my eyes and plan about next day, pray or meditate. Sometimes I have measured time of over an hour before actually going to sleep.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 10:10:30 AM
At 7/6/2012 4:50:13 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Advice:

Well, I can't express my gratitude at this advice. Thank you indeed.:)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 10:12:00 AM
At 7/6/2012 8:00:01 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

When you are old enough, there are two alternatives:

1 - Drink booze;
2 - Have sex: after sex a man's body releases a hormone which acts like a sleeping draught (something the ladies all-too-often fail to appreciate and, as a result, a man can be wrongly accused of being insensitive and unromantic).

Well, that is right. I do find this interesting but it is still some time--though perhaps within in the distant future--that I will be able to practice such alternatives.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 10:15:08 AM
At 7/6/2012 9:00:33 AM, baggins wrote:

When I find it difficult to go to sleep, I don't try to go to sleep. Rather I lie in bed, close my eyes and plan about next day, pray or meditate. Sometimes I have measured time of over an hour before actually going to sleep.

Ironically, that is actually a method which I have entertained--even successfully (on a few times) when I could not sleep.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:40:25 AM

It just so happens that I helped my brother's insomnia last night, as sleep is my signature interest besides politics (psychology).

I would recommend:

- Sleep with your head facing south, and your feet facing north, the gravity of earth aligns your body with the magnetic field of Earth.

- Keep your bedroom as dark as possible, because darkness induces natural melatonin production, which induces sleep naturally.

- Keep your bedroom about 62 degrees Fahrenheit, slightly cool. Cooler temperatures makes your core body temp. cool down, and naturally align your body into sleep.

- Increase the iron in your diet.

- Don't drink alcohol or drugs (prescription are okay) within 3 hours within sleep, hopefully you don't do this already.

- Get up at about the same time and go to sleep about the same time each day. This trains the body to get in a sleep routine.

- Have good sleep hygiene, have a routine before sleep, such as brush your teeth, shower, floss, read for 15 minutes then go to sleep.

- Avoid any naps after noon.

- Avoid caffeine within 6 hrs of sleep.

- Avoid sugar and starches near sleep, it may cause you to wake up earlier in the morning than you want.

- Exercise for 1/2 an hour daily.

- Stop thinking much, just drift off.

- Listen to relaxing, ambient music, or white noise such as a fan.

- Make your bedroom a place for sleep, so remove things such as a computer and television if possible.

- If you can't sleep after lying in bed for 30 minutes, get up and walk around for 15 minutes, then try again to sleep, but keep lights low if not off.

- Try taking a hot bath 90 minutes before sleep.

- Read a boring or bland book before sleep.

- Avoid stressful or emotional things before sleep.

- Make sure your bed and pillows are comfortable and if needed wash them.

- Remove bad odors from your room, eliminate or keep noise levels low.

- Try to avoid electronics within 30 minutes near sleep.

- Worst case scenario, I would try sleep restriction therapy:

Restrict your sleep by going to sleep very late (3:00 A.M.) and wake up at your desired time or normal time. Go to sleep about 15 minutes earlier each night. It will prompt you to sleep more eaily when you hit the bed, and you will eventually probably go to bed more easily at your desired time. It takes about 1-3 weeks to complete, so it naturally takes a lot of willpower and determination.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:45:35 AM
At 7/6/2012 11:40:25 AM, Contra wrote:

It just so happens that I helped my brother's insomnia last night, as sleep is my signature interest besides politics (psychology).

I would recommend:

- Sleep with your head facing south, and your feet facing north, the gravity of earth aligns your body with the magnetic field of Earth.

- Keep your bedroom as dark as possible, because darkness induces natural melatonin production, which induces sleep naturally.

- Keep your bedroom about 62 degrees Fahrenheit, slightly cool. Cooler temperatures makes your core body temp. cool down, and naturally align your body into sleep.

- Don't drink alcohol or drugs (prescription are okay) within 3 hours within sleep, hopefully you don't do this already.

- Get up at about the same time and go to sleep about the same time each day. This trains the body to get in a sleep routine.

- Have good sleep hygiene, have a routine before sleep, such as brush your teeth, shower, floss, read for 15 minutes then go to sleep.

- Avoid sugar and starches near sleep, it may cause you to wake up earlier in the morning than you want.

- Make your bedroom a place for sleep, so remove things such as a computer and television if possible.

- If you can't sleep after lying in bed for 30 minutes, get up and walk around for 15 minutes, then try again to sleep, but keep lights low if not off.

Restrict your sleep by going to sleep very late (3:00 A.M.) and wake up at your desired time or normal time. Go to sleep about 15 minutes earlier each night. It will prompt you to sleep more eaily when you hit the bed, and you will eventually probably go to bed more easily at your desired time. It takes about 1-3 weeks to complete, so it naturally takes a lot of willpower and determination.

Seeing how interesting this is, perhaps you can offer any additional resources on the nature of human sleep and especially how to establish a regular sleeping cycle?

I find myself constantly deprived of will and vigor when I get exhausted, especially when a slight spell overcomes me a few hours before.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:46:37 AM
I do have to thank you for the advice but, considering myself, I do have to slowly adapt myself to your suggestions of the activities and state of mind prior to sleeping.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:52:48 AM

I will start at least by incorporating elements of a normal sleep schedule as well as refraining from electronic devices prior to sleeping, perhaps.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:53:24 AM
At 7/6/2012 11:52:48 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Perhaps, I should start by at least by incorporating elements of a normal sleep schedule as well as refraining from electronic devices prior to sleeping,

Fixed.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:58:52 AM
At 7/6/2012 11:45:35 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

I would recommend:

Seeing how interesting this is, perhaps you can offer any additional resources on the nature of human sleep and especially how to establish a regular sleeping cycle?

Exercising a lot during the day or working, and/or having good sleep hygiene, and reading a book in a calm room for like 15-20 minutes before sleep allows me to readjust my sleep schedule.

If you were talking about books, I would highly recommend:

Sleep, The Problems, Mysteries, and the Solutions. By Carlos Schenck, M.D.

The Promise of Sleep. By Dr. William Dement, M.D., PhD

The first book helped me become intrigued into sleep medicine, and he writes it as if you are a casual patient of his and he wants to help you.

Dr. Dement, the father of sleep medicine, knows more about sleep than probably anyone else on Earth. He discovered REM sleep and much more. He includes a 2 week course on how to develop a great sleep routine and "fix" your sleep schedule. He says that "if college students could manage this, you can too." He writes it in a way that is also casual and entertaining.

I find myself constantly deprived of will and vigor when I get exhausted, especially when a slight spell overcomes me a few hours before.

So, I understand that exhaustion makes you deprived of will, this also happens in me. I would recommend fixing your sleep schedule, and exercise universally helps people, but I don't recommend exercise within 3 hrs of sleep.

Dr. Dement in his book tells that although many people feel tired around 1-3 P.M., he shows a patient and tells their story that after they fixed their sleep schedule, they no longer were tired around those times of day. Although 1-3 are naturally points of the day in which drowsiness increases.

Also, we are both teenagers, it is naturally hard for us because of our biological clock to go to sleep before 11 A.M.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:59:36 AM
At 7/6/2012 11:53:24 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/6/2012 11:52:48 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Perhaps, I should start by at least by incorporating elements of a normal sleep schedule as well as refraining from electronic devices prior to sleeping,

Fixed.

This would help. ^

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 12:08:39 PM
At 7/6/2012 11:58:52 AM, Contra wrote:

So, I understand that exhaustion makes you deprived of will, this also happens in me. I would recommend fixing your sleep schedule, and exercise universally helps people, but I don't recommend exercise within 3 hrs of sleep.
It does somewhat marginally but the slight spells that often come can prove frustrating, especially in the wake of some personal ambitions, whether trivial or not.

Dr. Dement in his book tells that although many people feel tired around 1-3 P.M., he shows a patient and tells their story that after they fixed their sleep schedule, they no longer were tired around those times of day. Although 1-3 are naturally points of the day in which drowsiness increases.
I see another candidate for a good read within this summer.

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 12:21:19 PM
I was a legit insomniac for a few years when I was younger. It was to the point that even physical exhaustion wouldn't get me to sleep, or not for very long, despite how active I was or was not.

It boiled down to an unresolved issue leading to emotional and mental unrest.

If this is the case with you, then you're not going to find a real way to cope with it for very long until you resolve whatever issue is messing with you.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 12:32:04 PM
At 7/6/2012 12:21:19 PM, Ren wrote:
I was a legit insomniac for a few years when I was younger. It was to the point that even physical exhaustion wouldn't get me to sleep, or not for very long, despite how active I was or was not.

It boiled down to an unresolved issue leading to emotional and mental unrest.

If this is the case with you, then you're not going to find a real way to cope with it for very long until you resolve whatever issue is messing with you.

To be honest, I cannot distinguish whether the emotional and mental unrest is an actual cause of the supposed state left by such exhaustion or is an underlying cause of the lack of sleep--sometimes.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 12:49:21 PM
To note, I have a habit of exaggerating things though obviously lack of hours of sleep can prove, in simple terms, frustrating and make a man very irritated.

In other words, there might be truly a sense of urgency but I do wish to improve on this matter.

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 2:46:31 AM
I completely endorse what Kinesis has said on every account, based on my experience and limited academic knowledge on the issue.

It's absolutely critical that your body realise it's time to sleep at a desired time. That realisation comes through routine, developing certain thought patterns before sleeping, calming yourself down etc. While it's okay to vary your sleep time, this should be done via multiple sleep routines.

What that last statement is talking about is that you can have a different sleeping time for say, Friday and Saturday, so long as that is also routine based. Then you have a different routine for other days.

Part of what is crucial to this is that you feel some degree of completion to a day. The old story about being paranoid about needing to sleep preventing you from sleeping is quite true. While thinking about some troublesome future event before sleeping will sometimes enable one to do something useful, it is generally counter-productive. Indeed, finishing some measure of homework can often help. I also tend to find that exercise aids in increasing one's satisfaction. Note, when I say 'exercise' I tend to not mean vigorous exercise (say, interval sprinting) as you are presumably looking for a solution applicable to a very localised, household level.

I hope my advice helps you, although I fear my thoughts have become lost in my lengthy statement. Again, I wholeheartedly endorse Kinesis' advice, and am also sure that Contra knows far more than I do.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 4:21:31 AM
I'd say the best advice for insomnia is embracing it. I used to fight it when I was in high school, but as soon as I stopped trying to fall asleep, I started using the extra time I had at night to read, study, watch tv, whatever, which opened up a lot of time during the day to actually spend hanging out with friends and doing other things I enjoy. The only problem with this is you start to drink a lot more coffee to stay up during the day.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 2:08:25 PM
I would certainly like to thank everybody who commented. The advice is very interesting and may offer a resolution to the days I live through. :-)