Jump to topic:

Air force?

Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 5:22:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, ive been seriously considering joining the airforce, going to officer training, and becoming a pilot when i get old enough. I have two uncles that were pilots in it, and I'd love to follow in their footsteps.
Im only 16 right now. Im 5 foot 5. (Im short because im greek haha) Im not overweight. I have a 4.0 gpa, and im very athletic.

However, i had open heart surgery when i was five, and i have asthma (its not bad at all and i never have to use my inhaler).

Does that automatically DQ me?
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:55:04 PM
When was the last time you had an asthma attack?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:14:15 PM
At 7/10/2012 1:55:04 PM, phantom wrote:
When was the last time you had an asthma attack?

When I was around 11 or 12.

I take my inhaler for the heck of it before I work out, just in case, but I don't think I really need it.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:37:02 PM
If you possess an inhaler, you were prescribed it and therefore your asthma is diagnosed. You are not qualified, might be a waiver. All but certain open heart surgery is "not qualified," might be a waiver. Waivers are totally case by case basis, only way to find out if yer gonna get one is to go to your recruiter, go to MEPS, get their physical examination at which you WILL be told you are not qualified, then talk to your recruiter and do everything they tell you they need you to do in order for them to submit waiver paperwork.

Note that I am "Not qualified" for two different reasons (hand tremors and strabismus; I also have a history of what's probably mild asthma but undiagnosed and therefore that doesn't count). I got two waivers, I'm signed up and ship to the Navy in April.

Check the standards here:
http://usmilitary.about.com...
http://usmilitary.about.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:42:14 PM
Misstated that slightly, you might get waivers pre-meps if all the documentation is in order.

And no symptoms since your 13th birthday I think is no problem.

Still, be totally honest with them, and you'll still need a waiver for that heart thing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:10:55 PM
At 7/10/2012 3:42:14 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Misstated that slightly, you might get waivers pre-meps if all the documentation is in order.

And no symptoms since your 13th birthday I think is no problem.

Still, be totally honest with them, and you'll still need a waiver for that heart thing.

I checked your links, and my heart problem wasn't mentioned on there. I really don't have any more issues.

I haven't had an asthma attack since I was 11 or 12.

So, how often do they do waivers? Do you think I'll be able to get in?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:20:17 PM
At 7/10/2012 9:10:55 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I checked your links, and my heart problem wasn't mentioned on there. I really don't have any more issues.

I haven't had an asthma attack since I was 11 or 12.

So, how often do they do waivers? Do you think I'll be able to get in?

They do a lot of waivers, but there are a lot of people trying. The odds aren't necessarily spectacular

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com...

The waiver process works like this: You convince a recruiter you're worth the work, give them the paperwork they ask for, they send it on, some officer whose career is being judged in significant part by whether his waiver approvals result in efficient acquisition of recruits who pass training has to sign off on your waiver. They might refuse outright, they might refuse temporarily and tell your recruiter that you need to get even more paperwork than you had the first time. Right before approval, each time you have to make a handwritten statement about exactly wtf is going on, they might make you track down and see a cardiologist on your own dime, etc.

Although I got two waivers, I also got a 99 ASVAB and am going into nuclear propulsion, which is high demand. I've seen claims that such things are not considered in the waiver process, but my recruiters say otherwise. What are you planning to do and what percentile you think you can test in?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:04:37 PM
I am enlisted in the army right. I definitely think officer training (SMP program) is the way to go, and I wish you good luck!

MEPS process will tell you if you are physically well enough to peform in the army I suppose. I hope you like it!

Good luck to you too ragnar!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:34:59 PM
If your potential out weighs your risk factor, you can get in. However, I don't know that the heart surgery is something they'll wave. I think asthma that isn't a problem can be waived.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena