Jump to topic:

online personality

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:30:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know. I'm quite quiet in real life. I don't know if that's at all evident here.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:42:14 AM
I'm way different here
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:08:14 AM
At 7/10/2012 10:30:28 AM, phantom wrote:
I don't know. I'm quite quiet in real life. I don't know if that's at all evident here.

This.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:45:09 AM
I express my political opinions much more openly on here. In real life, most people know I am a progressive but I usually don't talk about it as much. I am less hostile in real life as well.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:39:38 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:18:00 AM, Lasagna wrote:
How much of your personality comes across online?

In person I'm a bit less condescending, although the nature of conversations I have in real life more depends on the people I'm around. I have a group of "intellectual" friends and a group of "relaxed" friends; around the former I'll talk politics, foreign policy or philosophy. Around the "relaxed" friends, we just shoot the sh!t.

It's probably a fair statement to say though that -at least here- the rawest form of my personality surfaces (probably because I have less personal investment here then in actual social situations).
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:45:02 PM
I think I'm pretty much the same. Though I don't know how much of a person's personality really comes through in text...
Debate.org Moderator
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:47:43 PM
At 7/10/2012 11:08:14 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/10/2012 10:30:28 AM, phantom wrote:

This.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:49:17 PM

A good bit.

In day to day life though I'm not quite as straightforward usually unless I know someone well, and Usually argue with the person, or have had a couple beers.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:02:45 PM
I say things online. That's pretty much the only change, i am ridiculously quiet irl. I figure if i were to say as much irl as i do online, i'd only have one personality - not an online and offline one. So, much more of my personality comes across online.
Don't take me too seriously plz, i'm rarely on here sober
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:16:23 PM

Very little. I am much different online, than in person.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"