Jump to topic:

The most significant moments of your life

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:31:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What were the most significant moments of your life? What commonalities can you find in those moments and how do you think they've changed you? I'll keep them relatively short but here's my list:

1. Meeting my future fiancée for the first time
2. The car accident that killed her
3. Moving out of Camden
4. Ice cream cone dates with my mom
5. Teaching my first high school class
6. Deciding to lose weight
7. Visiting my brother in prison
8. Being dropped off at college
9. Proposing
10. The one and only time I saw my dad

I noticed that all but one of my choices involved another person, which was usually a family member. A lot of my identify seems to relate directly to a specific relationship dynamic. I also noticed that only two choices related to an academic or career accomplishment; I generally view such things as stepping stones and not necessarily significant independently. Lastly, I consider exactly half of them to have been positive or have a positive impact on me.

So, what about you?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:03:15 AM
At 7/16/2012 2:31:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:
What were the most significant moments of your life? What commonalities can you find in those moments and how do you think they've changed you? I'll keep them relatively short but here's my list:

3. Moving out of Camden: 4. Ice cream cone dates with my mom
9. Proposing

I noticed that all but one of my choices involved another person, which was usually a family member. A lot of my identify seems to relate directly to a specific relationship dynamic. I also noticed that only two choices related to an academic or career accomplishment; I generally view such things as stepping stones and not necessarily significant independently. Lastly, I consider exactly half of them to have been positive or have a positive impact on me.

So, what about you?

So you live in the town where the Battle of Camden occured? Such historical significance.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 12:42:22 PM

3. Moving out of Camden
9. Proposing

So, what about you?

A great novel could be written from this.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 1:00:33 PM
At 7/16/2012 10:03:15 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:

9. Proposing

So, what about you?

So you live in the town where the Battle of Camden occured? Such historical significance.

lol Camden, NJ actually. It was ranked in the top 5 most dangerous cities in the US every year I lived there, though, so there were plenty of battles anyway.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 1:03:20 PM
At 7/16/2012 12:42:22 PM, YYW wrote:

3. Moving out of Camden
9. Proposing

So, what about you?

A great novel could be written from this.

Just writing all that stuff out is enough for me. I'm more interested in other people's stories.
- lamerde

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 1:08:08 PM
Maik that's terrible that your fiancee was killed. May I ask when that happened? I'm just curious because I've seen you on DDO for quite a few years now and I'm wondering if was during your tenure (I used to be Rob1billion and Caramel BTW).

I'll do my best here, not sure how this will turn out... and INb4 someone puts down "born" lol.
1) My daughter is born.
2) Moving From Johnston, RI to Green Bay, WI
3) My first kiss with my daughter's mother, Tiffany
4) Meeting my first love, Amber.
5) Learning my first song on guitar
6) My first time being put in jail
7) My first college class and resulting "A" grade (taken while I was getting my HSED)
8) Graduating college
9) My first time making a bunch of money while playing on a street-corner on the weekend
10) My first appearance on stage with my band
11) Getting tasered by the cops and thinking I was going to be killed (second time in jail)
12) Buying my house
13) Corrina's (my daughter) first ride on an amusement park carousel. I wasn't prepared for the emotional response of seeing her grown up enough to do that. She had her little shoes and socks on and looked like a miniature adult... excuse me I have something in my eye I have to go
Rob
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:28:10 PM
At 7/16/2012 1:08:08 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Maik that's terrible that your fiancee was killed. May I ask when that happened? I'm just curious because I've seen you on DDO for quite a few years now and I'm wondering if was during your tenure (I used to be Rob1billion and Caramel BTW).

I'll do my best here, not sure how this will turn out... and INb4 someone puts down "born" lol.
1) My daughter is born.
7) My first college class and resulting "A" grade (taken while I was getting my HSED)
8) Graduating college
9) My first time making a bunch of money while playing on a street-corner on the weekend
11) Getting tasered by the cops and thinking I was going to be killed (second time in jail)
12) Buying my house
13) Corrina's (my daughter) first ride on an amusement park carousel. I wasn't prepared for the emotional response of seeing her grown up enough to do that. She had her little shoes and socks on and looked like a miniature adult... excuse me I have something in my eye I have to go

Thank you. It happened 10 months ago.

I didn't realize you were Rob. I was wondering where you were. I noticed a lot of your moments involve music. Are you a musician by trade or is it a side passion?
- lamerde

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 5:01:29 PM
Very deep posts. Very cool to read. I... really am speechless.

For me:

1. Loosing my father.
2. The experience of college, in sum.
3. The first time I fell in love (happened in college).
4. Working in politics.
5. Going to Europe the first time.
6. My first summer of landscaping/construction/roofing.
7. Volunteering at a Salvation Army Soup Kitchen in New York.
8. Completing my first manuscript.
9. The years I spent living in Boston.
10. The first time I spoke in front of a large crowd.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 5:58:04 PM

3. Moving out of Camden
9. Proposing

So, what about you?

Understanding politics. And the cons of different types govt's and economic models of those respective govt's as it relates to the average person like myself.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 6:03:58 PM
Leaving the Baptist church which had previously dominated my and my family's life.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:50:32 PM
At 7/16/2012 5:01:29 PM, YYW wrote:

For me:

1. Loosing my father.
4. Working in politics.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. Loss of a loved one can be such a defining moment, probably more than anything else.

I notice a lot of your moments involved academic or career accomplishments with a lot of variety. What are you doing now?
- lamerde

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:06:19 PM
At 7/16/2012 2:28:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/16/2012 1:08:08 PM, Lasagna wrote:

1) My daughter is born.
8) Graduating college
12) Buying my house

Thank you. It happened 10 months ago.

I didn't realize you were Rob. I was wondering where you were. I noticed a lot of your moments involve music. Are you a musician by trade or is it a side passion?

Well I went to college for environmental policy but that hasn't exactly been panning out so yeah I'm a musician by trade. Perhaps I should have just went for music LOL. I am in "The Annie Rose Band" (www.annieroseband.com)... We have a high turnover rate so none of those pictures are updated and I am not in any of them. I also occasionally just set up downtown and play for tips, which is surprisingly profitable. Right now I'm just looking for a day job that's not related to my field.
Rob
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 11:03:11 AM
1. Surviving death from being born 4 months early
2. Being saved and baptised at 14
3. Grandparents dieing exactly 4 months apart
4. Moving back to North Carolina
5. Being accepted to Central Academy of Technology and Arts
6. Seeing both my grandparents erns delivered in the same day
7. Watching my mother cry after that more than I've ever seen her cry
8. My first mission trip/ giving my testimony to essentialy a room full of strarngers
9. Being beat up on the bus in 3rd grade by a middle school potheads 4th grade minions
10. Two years of Hell on Earth at the worst middle school ever created
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 11:42:18 AM

3. Moving out of Camden
9. Proposing

So, what about you?

Was leaving Camden a positive one? If we're talking about the same place, then it's a bigger sh!t-hole than Philly from what I've heard.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 11:43:10 AM
At 7/16/2012 1:00:33 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/16/2012 10:03:15 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:

9. Proposing

So, what about you?

lol Camden, NJ actually. It was ranked in the top 5 most dangerous cities in the US every year I lived there, though, so there were plenty of battles anyway.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME ONE!
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:35:56 PM
At 7/19/2012 11:03:11 AM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
1. Surviving death from being born 4 months early
2. Being saved and baptised at 14
3. Grandparents dieing exactly 4 months apart
4. Moving back to North Carolina
5. Being accepted to Central Academy of Technology and Arts
6. Seeing both my grandparents erns delivered in the same day
7. Watching my mother cry after that more than I've ever seen her cry
8. My first mission trip/ giving my testimony to essentialy a room full of strarngers
9. Being beat up on the bus in 3rd grade by a middle school potheads 4th grade minions
10. Two years of Hell on Earth at the worst middle school ever created

Opinionator you were not alone in Juvenile Hell (a term coined by Mobb Deep). Middle school literally ruined my life. The person I would have become if not for the path I took in middle school, because of pressures from other scumbags that I thought were cool, would be way different than where I am now. I am still recovering from the decisions I made back then and having to reset and move 1,500 miles away to start over again.
Rob
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 1:07:44 PM
Some of my lifechanging events are actually a series of smaller occurrences that worked in cohesion to move towards a greater goal.

for instance, heres a few:

1. my friend giving me one of his guitars for my 21st birthday
2. being taught my first lesson (nirvana - come as you are - oh yeah :P)
3. going to music festivals as a child

all lead me to find a passion in music...

1. being attuned to reiki
2. seeing someones aura
3. having a prophetic dream
4. looking at my birth chart
5. being saved

all lead me to open my conscious up to bigger possibilities in life, gave me a more spiritual understanding of the world.

1. getting evicted from my apartment due to my roomate
2. getting carjacked
3. my mom being diagnosed with bone cancer

all taught me about how to keep my priorities straight and who really cares for me in this world.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 1:22:33 PM

3. Moving out of Camden
9. Proposing

Those are some pretty powerful life events...
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 9:32:41 PM
At 7/19/2012 1:22:33 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

3. Moving out of Camden
9. Proposing

Those are some pretty powerful life events...

Everyone has a story, though I usually wish I could do some rewriting.

Thank you for sharing your list. I am intrigued by the spiritual experiences you described. That is one area that has been absent in my life but you've had a wide variety haha.
- lamerde

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 9:42:04 PM
My events are probably not nearly as significant as some others on here, but they were significant for me.

1. Going on my first run, which triggered my passion for that sport.
2. My first lucid dream, and finding out about them.
3. Watching my first political movie (Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore) which instigated my big interest in politics.
4. Meeting my two best friends in fourth grade.
5. Getting my dachshund, and when it passed away a few years later (probably the worst experience I've ever had).
6. Going to a MYIG Conference, and loving it.
7. Almost getting in a car accident.
8. Various track occasions. Some great, others bad.
9. Going to Cancun Mexico.
10. Joining my cross country team.
11. Reading a book on sleep medicine, making me very interested in that field.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 7:12:54 PM
At 7/16/2012 9:50:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

For me:

1. Loosing my father.
4. Working in politics.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. Loss of a loved one can be such a defining moment, probably more than anything else.

I notice a lot of your moments involved academic or career accomplishments with a lot of variety. What are you doing now?

Prepping for law school.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 7:17:14 PM
At 7/21/2012 7:12:54 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:50:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

For me:

1. Loosing my father.
4. Working in politics.

Prepping for law school.

Really, I'm wasting time. Prepping for law school really just entails -for me- milking the last few weeks of vacation and I'll probably head off to the beach at some point too. I just moved into a new apartment and these past few weeks have been pretty consumed with that.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 10:53:05 PM
My life experiences are nothing compared with what others have posted but I'll still go for it. Some of them will also sound meaningless, but are perhaps less so in context:

1. Death of my grandfather

2. Witnessing 9/11 footage and not understanding how someone could do something like that

3. Getting hurt badly by the person I cared about most

4. Becoming best friends with the assshole who broke into my locker in 6th grade

5. Getting my first cat

6. Being held back by two older boys while a friend of mine was attacked by 3 cowards and feeling so helpless (a reason that I will get my concealed carry lisence as soon as I can)

7. When my friend and I had an argument and drew our knives at eachother. I now know that even if we did fight it probably would just be a couple of cuts, but at the time I thought I was going to die (he was a lot stronger than me)

8. Joining debate team

9. Getting my first real girlfriend

10. Looking back on my life and realizing that if I was a different person, I would not be friends with myself. Led to attempted behavioral changes
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:00:53 AM
At 7/21/2012 10:53:05 PM, thett3 wrote:
My life experiences are nothing compared with what others have posted but I'll still go for it. Some of them will also sound meaningless, but are perhaps less so in context:

2. Witnessing 9/11 footage and not understanding how someone could do something like that

4. Becoming best friends with the assshole who broke into my locker in 6th grade

5. Getting my first cat

6. Being held back by two older boys while a friend of mine was attacked by 3 cowards and feeling so helpless (a reason that I will get my concealed carry lisence as soon as I can)

7. When my friend and I had an argument and drew our knives at eachother. I now know that even if we did fight it probably would just be a couple of cuts, but at the time I thought I was going to die (he was a lot stronger than me)

8. Joining debate team

10. Looking back on my life and realizing that if I was a different person, I would not be friends with myself. Led to attempted behavioral changes

I remember being in class during 9/11 and everyone just watching the tv in silence. I couldn't even really form a thought or comprehend what I was seeing. It was more like a scene from a movie.

Did you become friends with the guy in #4 before or after he robbed you? Was this like a guy tricking you or you turning the other cheek kind of thing?
- lamerde

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:49:13 PM
At 7/22/2012 2:00:53 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/21/2012 10:53:05 PM, thett3 wrote:

5. Getting my first cat

8. Joining debate team

I remember being in class during 9/11 and everyone just watching the tv in silence. I couldn't even really form a thought or comprehend what I was seeing. It was more like a scene from a movie.

Did you become friends with the guy in #4 before or after he robbed you? Was this like a guy tricking you or you turning the other cheek kind of thing?

After. I mean, all he did was take a magnet and gave it back the next day in class just to mess with me. I was mad for a while, but then I realized tht it didnt matter and he would be a useful person to have on your side. Then after a while I actually started liking the guy
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 5:04:42 PM
well i am only 15, but these are my moments so far in my life.

1. Separating from my original dad
2. knowing that my second dad died after I talked to him few hours before
3. Seeing my life in ruins, tried to sucide (I cut myself a bit, but stopped)
4. Learning wrestling that gave me my hope back
5. Breaking my ankle so bad that there is metal screws and plates through and between the ankle joint.
6. long silent walks in the night.
7. my future life.......................