Jump to topic:

DDO Education

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:30:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I swear, sometimes I feel like I've learned more in my 7 months on DDO than I did in my 4 years of high school.

I learn a lot on this site.

Does anyone feel the same?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 12:52:40 PM
I think that DDO gives people the encouragement to learn things themselves and to be curious. It allows your independent learning to evolve into something meaningful when you debate and share ideas.

DDO itself doesn't teach you anything. If you're learning from here, then you're likely only absorbing the bias perceptions of the majority. Which I wouldn't call learning,...but indoctrination.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 1:07:10 PM
At 7/17/2012 12:52:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
I think that DDO gives people the encouragement to learn things themselves and to be curious. It allows your independent learning to evolve into something meaningful when you debate and share ideas.

DDO itself doesn't teach you anything. If you're learning from here, then you're likely only absorbing the bias perceptions of the majority. Which I wouldn't call learning,...but indoctrination.

DDO does actually teach you things. If you spend the time to read everything people say. I'm not absorbing opinions, I'm learning facts and theories and such.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 1:27:07 PM
At 7/17/2012 1:23:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:46:09 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I don't feel the same when I'm the one handing out the education -_-)

http://myfacewhen.com...

that kinda looks like Rob.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 10:03:44 PM
At 7/17/2012 1:27:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Oh come on I'm much more sexy than that XD

I'd say that there is a lot of good learning opportunities on here, but there's so much disagreement that sometimes the good parts of the dialogue get buried in rhetoric.
Rob
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:19:28 PM
For example, I just learned the difference between the two different theories regarding the nature of time in the Philosophy forum. Learning all the time here.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:28:20 PM
At 7/16/2012 9:30:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I swear, sometimes I feel like I've learned more in my 7 months on DDO than I did in my 4 years of high school.

Probably not. It just seems like more because it was more recent. I will bet that you knew more when you were 18, than when you were 14.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:32:04 PM
At 7/17/2012 1:27:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Rob has a weird ponytail (no offense). That dude looks like TUF.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 9:58:50 AM
Same.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 12:59:38 PM

The Fool: if your views are the very same as when you came in teh you haven;t learned anything. What would beliefs would you say have changed?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 1:01:49 PM
The Fool: Learning depend upon REFUTATION. not affirmation. That is the hardest lesson to teach someone. I would like to say clown bear knows that. But he claim that he and everybody in the universe doesn't know anything.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 1:10:53 PM
At 7/18/2012 12:59:38 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: if your views are the very same as when you came in teh you haven;t learned anything. What would beliefs would you say have changed?

False. Knowledge doesn't necessarily change your views. It could strengthen them in fact.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 2:07:02 PM
At 7/18/2012 1:10:53 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

False. Knowledge doesn't necessarily change your views. It could strengthen them in fact.

The Fool: Thats the problem it can't do that. Lets say others are false. It doesn't strengthen your case. do you know what I mean?

For example let say I believe in Santa. And I here all there false claims about all kinds of things Its doesn't make Santa more likly to be true.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 2:09:35 PM
At 7/18/2012 2:07:02 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: Thats the problem it can't do that. Lets say others are false. It doesn't strengthen your case. do you know what I mean?

For example lets say I believe in Santa. And I hear all kinds of other false claims from other people. That doesn't make Santa more true. Or support it better.
You have have to have something that can be falsified by refutation or science.

IF you have the same beliefs then what you know is the same.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 2:11:31 PM

For example let say I believe in Santa. And I here all there false claims about all kinds of things Its doesn't make Santa more likly to be true.

The Caveat: I came to this site subscribing to some form of agnosticism without knowing much in regards to arguments for or against the existence of a god. I am now aware of several contentions and refutations for both sides and hold my view even more strongly.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 2:15:12 PM
Back to the OP.

I assume you're comparing subjects such as politics, philosophy, and sciences? I feel as if high school spent much too long of a time to accomplish much too little.

DDO is a hallway doors that lead to things I didn't even know I wanted to learn about.
High school was the creaky wooden elevator that luckily brought me to this hallway.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 2:15:53 PM
At 7/18/2012 2:15:12 PM, caveat wrote:
Back to the OP.

I assume you're comparing subjects such as politics, philosophy, and sciences? I feel as if high school spent much too long of a time to accomplish much too little.

DDO is a hallway of doors that lead to things I didn't even know I wanted to learn about.
High school was the creaky wooden elevator that luckily brought me to this hallway.

Faxed.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:40:11 PM
At 7/18/2012 1:01:49 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: Learning depend upon REFUTATION. not affirmation. That is the hardest lesson to teach someone. I would like to say clown bear knows that. But he claim that he and everybody in the universe doesn't know anything.

Yeah, we have no certainty about anything. Nihilism, on that view, is the biggest and best refutation of all.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 4:20:31 PM
At 7/18/2012 3:40:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 7/18/2012 1:01:49 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Yeah, we have no certainty about anything. Nihilism, on that view, is the biggest and best refutation of all.

The Fool: Sorry what is certainty?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 4:22:05 PM
The Fool: ......
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 4:29:52 PM
At 7/18/2012 4:22:05 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: ......

I don't get why you have to post things like this. There was literally a two-minute delay between your last post and this one.

Regarding your question, philosophical certainty implies complete immunity to A) error, and B) skepticism. Since nihilism represents an inherent defect in justificationalist attempts to get knowledge, it's also a condition which prevents you from ever having certainty.

This is distinguished from the feeling of certainty, which only entails being without doubt. This isn't identical to the philosophical concept of certainty, though, because it deals with the attitude of the subject, not the content or truth-status of the proposition. One can feel certain without having certainty. It's commonly known as "being a moron".
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:29:15 PM

That's almost never the case (well, at least not for me or anyone I know.) When we are young, we are spoon-fed crap about politics from our parents. Then education ensues and our views almost always changes due to we are now knowledgeable of both sides of a certain issue.

Remember Jonathan Krohn? That kid who wrote Defining Conservatism and did a speech at the C-PAC when he was 13 (2009.) Well now, 4 years later, he is almost through high school and he claims he is now a liberal, surprisingly enough. He is pretty impressive, actually, namedropping German philosophers and such.
turn down for h'what
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:32:24 PM
'Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.' - Nelson Mandela

It's his birthday today, by the way.
turn down for h'what
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:38:24 PM
I didn't realize exactly how much I learned from DDO until I started having conversations outside of DDO about various philosophical, political and religious topics.
yang.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 10:09:21 PM

But you can learn things while defending your positions. You don't necessarily learn by your opinions being refuted, but by them being challenged and tested.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 11:27:38 PM
So like actual school, except the "indoctrinators" don't have any power over you.

I was referred to this site incidentally by my AP English Comp teacher-- he had an assignment where we had to read a debate, when the site was pretty new.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.