Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

What does it mean to "know" someone?

tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 5:17:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
One a scale of 1-10, 1 being "not at all" and 10 being "very well", how well would you say you know yourself?

Think of the closest person to you in your life. On the same scale, how well would you say you know them? How well would you say they know you?

At what point is it sufficient for a person to say they "know" another person?
yang.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 4:19:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a very interesting question. I love introspection and that has nothing to do with the fact that I have no friends.

In terms of knowing myself, I give myself a 7. I constantly break promises to myself, forcing myself to change plans and schedules because I wasn't able to force myself to do something necessary. I also struggle with addiction and I have no control or foreknowledge of resurgences.

My fiancee would get a 9. She knew me so innately and was able to predict my successes and failures with eerie accuracy, well beyond my own predictions. My mom would get a 5. She loves me dearly but seems blind to my actual beliefs and personality traits.

All I think it takes to know someone is to understand the reasoning behind their decision making. That may sound simplistic but I hold that it's actually the most difficult aspect of any relationship, usually because motivation goes well beyond what is spoken or explained. I think this understanding can come into play either before or after they act; I don't think anticipating someone's actions are necessary for knowing someone.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 5:06:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/25/2012 5:17:31 PM, tulle wrote:
One a scale of 1-10, 1 being "not at all" and 10 being "very well", how well would you say you know yourself?

Think of the closest person to you in your life. On the same scale, how well would you say you know them? How well would you say they know you?

At what point is it sufficient for a person to say they "know" another person?

The Fool: You can;t not know yourself. That sounds like sketchy metaphysics.

ITs a heurstics it depends how comfortable you are with them..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
jedipengiun
Posts: 169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 6:15:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/26/2012 4:19:19 AM, Maikuru wrote:
This is a very interesting question. I love introspection and that has nothing to do with the fact that I have no friends.

In terms of knowing myself, I give myself a 7. I constantly break promises to myself, forcing myself to change plans and schedules because I wasn't able to force myself to do something necessary. I also struggle with addiction and I have no control or foreknowledge of resurgences.

My fiancee would get a 9. She knew me so innately and was able to predict my successes and failures with eerie accuracy, well beyond my own predictions. My mom would get a 5. She loves me dearly but seems blind to my actual beliefs and personality traits.

All I think it takes to know someone is to understand the reasoning behind their decision making. That may sound simplistic but I hold that it's actually the most difficult aspect of any relationship, usually because motivation goes well beyond what is spoken or explained. I think this understanding can come into play either before or after they act; I don't think anticipating someone's actions are necessary for knowing someone.

This is so true! Knowing how and what someone will think is knowing them imo.

My best friend and I know each other on about a 9. I was talking to her the other day about this actually, and about how because of her I have too high standards with people understanding me. I don't finish sentences as often as I should because i've gotten so used to not needing too.
People have trouble understanding me because I don't talk properly too, or eloquently. I've not needed too.
She's truly messed me up! :)
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 12:45:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/26/2012 4:19:19 AM, Maikuru wrote:
This is a very interesting question. I love introspection and that has nothing to do with the fact that I have no friends.


Thank you. I wish I had put this in the Philosophy forum instead.

In terms of knowing myself, I give myself a 7. I constantly break promises to myself, forcing myself to change plans and schedules because I wasn't able to force myself to do something necessary. I also struggle with addiction and I have no control or foreknowledge of resurgences.

My fiancee would get a 9. She knew me so innately and was able to predict my successes and failures with eerie accuracy, well beyond my own predictions. My mom would get a 5. She loves me dearly but seems blind to my actual beliefs and personality traits.

All I think it takes to know someone is to understand the reasoning behind their decision making. That may sound simplistic but I hold that it's actually the most difficult aspect of any relationship, usually because motivation goes well beyond what is spoken or explained. I think this understanding can come into play either before or after they act; I don't think anticipating someone's actions are necessary for knowing someone.

That is actually really interesting (the part I bolded). Based on that information, I would rate knowing my mother as 10. But while making this thread, I was feeling like I don't "know" her---I don't know many of her experiences and when she tells me things, I'm surprised to learn new things about her. But I like your definition.
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 12:54:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/26/2012 5:06:00 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/25/2012 5:17:31 PM, tulle wrote:
One a scale of 1-10, 1 being "not at all" and 10 being "very well", how well would you say you know yourself?

Think of the closest person to you in your life. On the same scale, how well would you say you know them? How well would you say they know you?

At what point is it sufficient for a person to say they "know" another person?


The Fool: You can;t not know yourself. That sounds like sketchy metaphysics.


Can you expound?

ITs a heurstics it depends how comfortable you are with them..

How is it any more of a heuristic than anything else you "know"?
yang.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 1:31:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/25/2012 5:17:31 PM, tulle wrote:
One a scale of 1-10, 1 being "not at all" and 10 being "very well", how well would you say you know yourself?

Think of the closest person to you in your life. On the same scale, how well would you say you know them? How well would you say they know you?

At what point is it sufficient for a person to say they "know" another person?:

Totally subjective. Think of serial killer's wife who has been married for 40 years yet has NO clue, whatsoever, that the person they live with and sleep next to is a raging, homicidal sadist.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)