Jump to topic:

Smarter, Better, Faster, Stronger

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 12:59:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You're given the chance to better one set of personal attributes. Think of it like finding stat boosters in a video game. Your choices are:

Mental - Improved intelligence, memory, & reasoning skills
Physical - Improved fitness, athleticism, & general health
Social - Improved charisma, sexual appeal, & communication skills
Psychological - Increased happiness, reduced stress, & improved emotional stability

The changes are equivalent across categories, immediately noticeable, and permanent; they become your new baseline.

What would you choose and, more importantly, why?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 3:08:00 AM
At 7/28/2012 12:59:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Psychological - Increased happiness, reduced stress, & improved emotional stability

I want this. Increased happiness is why. See, the only reason i'd want any of the other things you've listed there (athleticism and such) is because i think they'd make me happy. But why bother messing around with that when i could just have the happiness, which is what i wanted in the first place? Though, i must admit, the Social category is also appealing. In the end, i think i'd choose Psychological.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 3:44:28 AM
I'd go with:

I feel like these areas take the greatest amount of time and effort to improve on your own. I know that I absolutely hate any kind of physical exertion outside of my regular routine, as opposed to mental and social exercises which I actual enjoy doing in my spare time. I also think the health benefit has the most value of all the items listed.
- lamerde

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:49:03 PM
At 7/28/2012 3:08:00 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

I want this. Increased happiness is why. See, the only reason i'd want any of the other things you've listed there (athleticism and such) is because i think they'd make me happy. But why bother messing around with that when i could just have the happiness, which is what i wanted in the first place? Though, i must admit, the Social category is also appealing. In the end, i think i'd choose Psychological.

This ^ I want nothing more but to be happy and not stressed.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:28:11 PM
You're given the chance to better one set of personal attributes. Think of it like finding stat boosters in a video game. Your choices are:

This.

1. I'm frustrated by my limitations, and would like to increase my learning/retention capacities--particularly my working memory.

2. I don't care about "happiness" in the sense of sanguine attitude or bursts of dopamine and serotonin. I think happiness is more holistic than that, and, in its most complete form, whatever that might be, I think happiness is probably unnameable. The constraints of language with respect to its capacity to grasp and detail our mental experiences become pretty obvious when you have a really intimate and meaningful mental life.

3. When I'm "happier" in the usual sense, i.e., the neurological-hormonal sense, I tend to lose my mental edge. It sucks pretty bad.

4. I'm ultra-thin, but I eat well and exercise. I don't really need to be "built" or whatever.

5. I'm not an interpersonal derp, so I don't need +2 to sociability.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:30:17 PM
At 7/28/2012 3:44:28 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I'd go with:

I feel like these areas take the greatest amount of time and effort to improve on your own. I know that I absolutely hate any kind of physical exertion outside of my regular routine, as opposed to mental and social exercises which I actual enjoy doing in my spare time. I also think the health benefit has the most value of all the items listed.

But unlike Mental, your physical capacities can be improved. You cannot feasibly make yourself significantly more intelligent or improve your brain function and memory retention.
Sapere Aude!
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:48:18 PM

^ I want my mental capacity to increase. Physical and psychological are tempting, but I would have to go with this. I'd increase my mental abilities mainly because I honestly feel lacking in that area. It's kinda a pride thing.

I personally don't care about social because I have the friends that I want, and I am in the social situation that I want.

Psychological... I could definitely do with being an overall happier person, but I don't think that it's a thing that I want as badly as mental.

Increasing physically would be wonderful for the unfit weakling that I am. I'm not going to make it on any athletic team anytime soon, so I would be estatic to be stronger or faster. But, I would be even more estatic if I was a genius rather than a supreme athlete.

To be honest, my want for increased mental prowess is somewhat rooted in the fact that I feel outcompeted by many of my peers and friends in the smarts category. I don't get straight A's neither can I discuss at length the stuff that most of the people here do casually. While I do make good grades and I do occasionally chime in on discussions, I don't feel worthy of my counterparts.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 3:25:37 PM
At 7/29/2012 2:30:17 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
I'd go with:

But unlike Mental, your physical capacities can be improved. You cannot feasibly make yourself significantly more intelligent or improve your brain function and memory retention.

I'm lacking physically more than mentally. The studying and mental exercises I do are sufficient. Walking to the fridge and back is not.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 3:26:39 PM
I'm surprised no one has picked social yet. You'd think a group of online debaters would be chomping at the bit to boost their sex appeal and real world communication skills lol.
- lamerde

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:08:42 PM

The changes are equivalent across categories, immediately noticeable, and permanent; they become your new baseline.

The Fool: they are all over lapping, But if forced mental because through that you can find means to achieve the others. ..working out, eathing healthy, social interaction.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 7:43:02 PM

I would go with psychological. I don't think my intelligence is wanting, but who knows, perhaps I'm stupid. It is really of no concern to me. My physical health isn't perfect but it could be magnificently worse. In that rite, I'm not worried. I'm content with my social life as it presently is. All in all I am happy, sort of, but at times I'm not. I don't handle personal stress well. Environmental/job related is fine. Family wise not so much. Ergo, I choose psychological.
Tsar of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 7:52:11 PM
I'd go with:

Actually, mental strength can also be improved as enviroment plays a large role in intellegence
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:32:17 PM

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.
I can work out if I want to be fitter.
I can study if I want to be smarter.
Psychologically, I'm good already...

Plus, I believe social skills are the most important and useful skills among the four. This stems from my belief that MIND CONTROL is the most powerful ability in fiction.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:35:04 PM
At 7/29/2012 7:52:11 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I'd go with:

Actually, mental strength can also be improved as enviroment plays a large role in intellegence

The Fool: Not same type. There is intellegence and Wisdom. Wisdom being the amount of knowledge you have. While intellegence being, your ability to process information and making use of it.
You can be intellegence and completly ignorance. And you could be wise with age and learning but not able to take as much advantage of it, into creating solving problems and producing with it. For are intellegence is at its prime around 30, andn then drops. very very slowly, but increasing faster after 60.. while you may still become more and more knowledge able. In psychology we call what I mean by intellgence here Fluid intellegence and he other wisdom, Christalized intellegence.
In a computer one intellegence is the power of you processer and memory storage that of wisdom.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 9:53:20 PM
At 7/29/2012 8:32:17 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

Plus, I believe social skills are the most important and useful skills among the four. This stems from my belief that MIND CONTROL is the most powerful ability in fiction.

More than time control? I will debate the hell outta this.

I also find it funny that I would fixate on that one sentence lol.
- lamerde

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 10:58:01 PM
At 7/29/2012 10:15:12 PM, Stevethewriter wrote:
Physical

You need social...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:37:28 PM
At 7/29/2012 10:58:01 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 10:15:12 PM, Stevethewriter wrote:
Physical

You need social...

LOL
- lamerde

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:33:27 PM
At 7/29/2012 9:53:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

More than reality control? Come on now :P
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:38:59 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:33:27 PM, caveat wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

What is reality control?
- lamerde

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:56:40 PM

I would choose mental.

I've got a ridiculously hyperactive metabolism and even eating 3000 calories or more per day resulted in my losing weight or staying about the same. My friend recently got me into a schedule of working out and I've gained quite a few pounds in muscle very quickly. General health isn't really a problem, my immune system is quite strong, and I play sports regularly anyway.

Contrary to my preconceived notion on DDO personalities, I've met quite a few people who I could see being very charismatic and interpersonal in person :P Anyway, I don't think the boost in charisma or communication skills is necessary or worth it for me; talking is pretty easy.

My stance on happiness is basically the same as Cody's. I've been able to reason/deceive myself out of most stresses in my life. And emotional stability is for boring people.

That leaves me with improved intelligence, memory, and reasoning skills. I see some think that studying will improve intelligence, but I contend studying on its own will at best improve your memory (note: knowledge =/= intelligence). Mental capacity is the hardest to augment on your own out of the four given choices, barring a physical disability or something. I would ask you to imagine the possibilities if your mental faculties were enhanced, but you literally could not do it. As an alternative, imagine if you simply had better memory and computing capabilities... almost every aspect of your life would be instantly better. You would react faster, have more co-ordination, calculate prices/probabilities in your head, have increased efficiency in everything you do, etc.

An increase in intelligence is beneficial regardless of your current state. There is only so much that good fitness, charisma, and happiness that one can have. Intelligence doesn't have this bound.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:58:12 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:38:59 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

What is reality control?

The ability to manipulate reality.
(See: Franklin Richards and a host of others http://en.wikipedia.org...)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:08:51 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:58:12 PM, caveat wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

What is reality control?

I thought you might be talking about Richards but I wasn't sure. What he's doing is amalgamating numerous abilities, primarily the creation and manipulation of matter, energy, and time. I consider time control the best individual power.
- lamerde

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:15:40 PM

Mental. It's the only area in which I exceed most people and I'd rather make my strengths stronger than fix my weaknesses. Just my opinion.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:17:45 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:08:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

What is reality control?

I thought you might be talking about Richards but I wasn't sure. What he's doing is amalgamating numerous abilities, primarily the creation and manipulation of matter, energy, and time. I consider time control the best individual power.

mmm I also assume you're not including beings who transcend time and dimensions themselves as having a "power" =P

I think that the Flashes and other speedsters have a pretty strong contention for best individual power.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:24:13 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:17:45 PM, caveat wrote:
At 7/30/2012 1:08:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Nice topic Maik.

I choose SOCIAL.

What is reality control?

mmm I also assume you're not including beings who transcend time and dimensions themselves as having a "power" =P

I think that the Flashes and other speedsters have a pretty strong contention for best individual power.

Those are powers, but those characters rarely stop there lol.

The way Flash is written now, he probably does have the best skill set. He's able to steal and loan speed, travel dimensions and time, gain infinite mass, and, you know, run really fast lol. Back in the day, those would all be considered separate powers.
- lamerde

MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:32:59 PM
Physical is without a doubt the best. High Physical abilities actually allows you to fulfill the other three options (at least partially).

--> A high physical fitness gives much more confidence and self-respect. A confident person is known to be much more social and outgoing.

--> High Physical fitness makes one have more pride and self-respect about his body, making him happier. High Physical fitness reduces stress that healthier people have reduced stress (fat person has more stress generally than a fit person)

--> People with high physical fitness are known to think better etc. An example would be long distance running which clears your mind and gives you that "elevated status" after your done. This will impact mental capacities.

High physicial fitness is one of the highest achievements of life I'm telling you.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:05:41 PM
This is really hard. I am content with my mental skills the most since I usually understand complex technical concepts very well.

As for fitness, I feel that it is something that I can improve on my own.

I'd go with increased social skills, sex appeal, and charisma.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 11:37:03 AM
I'm going to go the Kotor route and max out my Persuasion. It's awesome to be able to influence people (Although Mental could do this as well...)

Social

I am also with Cody on Happiness.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush