Jump to topic:

I hate myself.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:07:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Lately I've been trying to correct my body clock through starvation. I've been reading (and this has been back up by quite a few sources) that when you go more than sixteen hours without food, the body goes into "starvation mode." When you eat something after that, the brain assumes that the current time would be a better time to stay awake since there seems to be more food during that period (regardless of whether it's night or day) and resets your body clock accordingly.

Well, I didn't eat yesterday and tried to stay up all night so I could eat in the morning. I fell asleep around 5 am and woke up around 11 pm. Wth do I do? I'm not sure I can go until tomorrow morning; the hunger is really starting to hurt, but if I eat now, I'll reset my clock in the worst possible way.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:30:53 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:07:53 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Lately I've been trying to correct my body clock through starvation. I've been reading (and this has been back up by quite a few sources) that when you go more than sixteen hours without food, the body goes into "starvation mode." When you eat something after that, the brain assumes that the current time would be a better time to stay awake since there seems to be more food during that period (regardless of whether it's night or day) and resets your body clock accordingly.

Well, I didn't eat yesterday and tried to stay up all night so I could eat in the morning. I fell asleep around 5 am and woke up around 11 pm. Wth do I do? I'm not sure I can go until tomorrow morning; the hunger is really starting to hurt, but if I eat now, I'll reset my clock in the worst possible way.

I recall you sent me an article about that. I didn't try it, but found it intriguing. I will be curious to learn your results.
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:39:15 PM
I think that if I eat just a little bit, my brain won't jump to conclusions and will wait until I have a full meal. Shortly after posting this, I had a cookie and a couple bites of a sandwich (and orange juice, if that affects anything). Right after eating I got really nauseous and had to lie down. I guess that's what happens when you starve yourself...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:41:43 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:39:15 PM, MouthWash wrote:
I think that if I eat just a little bit, my brain won't jump to conclusions and will wait until I have a full meal. Shortly after posting this, I had a cookie and a couple bites of a sandwich (and orange juice, if that affects anything). Right after eating I got really nauseous and had to lie down. I guess that's what happens when you starve yourself...

No, that likely would have been the sharp rise in blood sugar.

Try eating the sandwich first when your stomach is super empty.

Could have also been gas.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:44:52 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:39:15 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Ergggh, sounds rough! I have been trying to get mine back on track, too, by staying up for nights on end so I become tired enough to sleep at the right time. It's not working.
It sucks because I start school Thursday, yet my clock is screwed up beyond belief. It's not even consistent--one day I'll wake up at 5 PM and fall asleep at 7 AM, and the next I'll wake up at 12 PM and fall asleep at some other weird time.
I've never heard of the starvation method, but I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I only have 2 days left to fix my clock...
GAHHH. I BLAME IT ON DDO!
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:50:18 PM

Eat up. At least we will know whether the article was right or not!
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:27:40 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:52:27 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
This is a weird experiment . . .

I agree. Lol. Tired people do weird things...
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 3:21:06 PM
From what I learnt in college your body clock is a 25 hour clock and is reset via the environment. the factors that determine this are light entering the eyes, eating, and habits. Siffre performed the most intriguing study on endogenous and exogenous factors affecting bodily rythms.

If I want to reset my body clock I do an all nighter (stay up for over 24 hours) and then go to sleep at normal time the following day. Worked like a charm when I did it last.

Hope this helps some how, i'm sorry if it didn't.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 4:12:26 PM

So...this won't work for a multitude of reasons, and I can only guess how bad this must be for your health.

If you simply control the portions you eat daily and the timing at which you take the portions, you can lose weight, sleep better, and....not die in the process.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 5:38:16 PM
At 7/30/2012 4:12:26 PM, Wnope wrote:

So...this won't work for a multitude of reasons, and I can only guess how bad this must be for your health.

If you simply control the portions you eat daily and the timing at which you take the portions, you can lose weight, sleep better, and....not die in the process.

'Fasting' would have been a better word. It takes only about a day; I'm not actually starving.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 8:22:00 PM

So what you are saying is you don't understand the concept of eating?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 8:43:36 PM
At 8/3/2012 8:22:00 PM, sadolite wrote:

So what you are saying is you don't understand the concept of eating?

rofl
Tsar of DDO
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 8:56:55 PM
This is not a healthy way to reset your sleep clock by any means. Depriving your body of nutrients and vitamins/minerals is harmful and will cause harm to all parts of the body.

Here are tips to help sleep better:

1) Sleep with your head facing south and feet north. Gravity of earth aligns body with magnetic field of planet.

2) Increase iron in diet.

3) Take a hot bath 90 minutes before sleep. Decrease in core temp induces sleep.

4) Keep bedroom as dark as possible.

5) Get up and go to bed the same time every day. Biological clock will adjust.

6) Avoid caffeine within 6 hrs of sleep, exercise 3 hours within sleep.

7) Do not nap after noon.

8) Do not drink alcohol.

9) Put thumbs in ears and listen to this sound for 5 minutes. Then turn to side and sleep.

10) Avoid sugar and starches at night. Interrupts sleep during night.

11) Bedroom is a place for sleep.

12) Use a fan for white noise, block out exterior noise, try ambient tones. Several iPod apps are great to use, I would recommend Sleep Stream.

13) Exercise for a 1/2 hr daily.

14) Drink a glass of milk.

15) Don't count sheep. Drift, don't think much or at all.

16) Avoid stress/emotional things before sleep.

17) Wear socks before bed.

18) Have a high protein diet.

19) Sleep Restriction Therapy:

A 2 week or similar time frame will be needed. Go to sleep (example, 3 A.M.), and wake up at your desired time (say 8 A.M.) Stay to your schedule. Each night go to bed 15 minutes or so earlier, until eventually (say 10 P.M.) reach the time that you want to go to sleep on regular occasions.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 8:59:39 PM
At 7/30/2012 3:28:33 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Lately I've been trying to correct my body clock through starvation.

...stopped reading here.

Lol.

I didn't see the word "clock" when I read it the first time.