Jump to topic:

Parents violating privacy

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 1:45:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seriously, they have installed keyloggers and monitoring software on my computer. It is really annoying because the monitoring software is supposed to block "innapropiate" sites but it blocks pretty much every other website and forces the stupid safesearch on Youtube which gets rid of the search suggestions. I hate this, is there a law against this? This is a severe violation of my privacy and there should be laws against this.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 2:00:10 PM
At 8/5/2012 1:45:39 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Seriously, they have installed keyloggers and monitoring software on my computer. It is really annoying because the monitoring software is supposed to block "innapropiate" sites but it blocks pretty much every other website and forces the stupid safesearch on Youtube which gets rid of the search suggestions. I hate this, is there a law against this? This is a severe violation of my privacy and there should be laws against this.

I feel children deserve absolutely no privacy from their parents.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 2:02:15 PM
Seriously I can't even view DDO without hacking
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 2:20:54 PM

lol... that REALLY sucks. And no, there is no law against it.

I have never understood why parents want to "protect" their kids from the horrors of the internet, R-rated movies, and etc. because there is nothing more motivating to want to seek out such unwholesome media then to be denied the liberty to enjoy it. It's really counterintuitive, but rather than have a savvy and sensible conversation with their kids, some parents prefer to just take swift unilateral action against the actions they wish not to have their kids take. That sort of approach is only effective in foreign policy... lol. It has no place in parenting.

My advice to you though is not to, should you decide to discuss the matter with mommy and daddy dearest, not frame the issue under the heading of their having violated "your right to privacy." Your parents -most likely- don't care at all about that. If you start making arguments to them about how you are existentially "entitled" to be left alone, your parents are going to wonder why it is that you want to be left alone (which is going to make them snoop even more).

In order to get what you want, you have to meet them on their level (i.e. appeal to their interests rather than yours). Your parents want to protect you from "the dangers of the world." Show them how not having keylogger/safecheck nazi software defeats that objective.
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 2:30:07 PM
At 8/5/2012 2:00:10 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Well, I don't know about absolutely none. Their rooms can have doors, just no locks.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 3:37:32 PM

Oh, wow... I should feel happy for having parents that never even bother asking about what I'm doing on the internet...

Since I've never really had problems of that sort, I don't have any useful advice, but try talking to them seriously. I understand I'd be pissed if my parents did that...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 3:38:07 PM
At 8/5/2012 2:02:15 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

You can hack the programs? Then can't you just delete them?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 3:59:01 PM
At 8/5/2012 3:38:07 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Or just wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system... without the obtrusive software.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 6:19:01 PM
No, you're under their supervision due to your age. You can talk to them about strict parenting. It's good in some aspects, but if they behave like this in most of your activities, then you can expect rather negative consequences.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 6:19:53 PM
At 8/5/2012 6:15:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Fuck strict parents.

A strict parent is a parent who hasn't figured out how to be a parent.

Amen.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 6:25:31 PM
At 8/5/2012 6:23:18 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At least it shows that they care.

Bullshit. It shows they are controlling fucks.

A loving parent respects their child's privacy.

There is NOTHING good about such abuses.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 6:28:49 PM
At 8/5/2012 6:12:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Run Linux off a pendrive.

Easy.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 6:29:30 PM
Weak argument. They could show the same 'care' by not letting him go out except one day in the week. Doesn't show anything positive about them.
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 6:37:48 PM

Parents are responsible for you legally. Therefore they should be legally responsible for the things you view and do.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 7:12:42 PM
At 8/5/2012 6:15:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Fuck strict parents.

A strict parent is a parent who hasn't figured out how to be a parent.

Except here's the thing, and this applies to the other thread about the kid whose parents wouldn't let him out easily.

We don't know the whole story. We have the alleged "victim's" side of the story. It's always possible he's done something to deserve having his activity monitored in such a fashion.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 8:04:45 PM
I think it depends on how old you are. I think it's necessary that parents monitor their children to an extent. It's the responsible thing to do. Children are easily manipulated. Children should get no real privacy whatsoever. No one gets any real privacy, I hope you know. Everything about you will always be accessible to some authoritative agent, unless you actively prevent it at all times.

On the other hand, there is a difference between monitoring and controlling. Blocking off access to the world is pretty unnecessary, and worse, it's counterintuitive. Not only does it hinder a child's development, but it invariably fails to keep your children out of trouble.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 8:17:41 PM
At 8/5/2012 6:25:31 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Bullshit. It shows they are controlling fucks.

A loving parent respects their child's privacy.

There is NOTHING good about such abuses.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD-
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 9:14:31 PM
At 8/5/2012 3:59:01 PM, YYW wrote:

Or just wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system... without the obtrusive software.

They'll just yell at me and install it again.
Wall of LOL
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 10:08:38 PM
At 8/5/2012 9:14:31 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 8/5/2012 3:59:01 PM, YYW wrote:

They'll just yell at me and install it again.

Lol... I would try to reason with them first. If that didn't work I'd get creative with the program's coding.
Tsar of DDO
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:31:21 AM
Fvck I can't even post on my debate because of it. F UCK!
Wall of LOL
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:39:01 AM
At 8/5/2012 6:28:49 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Easy.

If all they've done is install software on your current OS, this is all you need.

http://www.ubuntu.com...
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:40:53 AM
At 8/7/2012 9:39:01 AM, caveat wrote:
At 8/5/2012 6:28:49 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Easy.

If all they've done is install software on your current OS, this is all you need.

http://www.ubuntu.com...

I already have Ubuntu. However they installed the firewall on my router, so as long as I connect to our network I'm screwed
Wall of LOL
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:38:36 PM
At 8/5/2012 2:30:07 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Well, I don't know about absolutely none. Their rooms can have doors, just no locks.

I can't find the fairly odd parents' clip but it goes like this...

"I'm respecting your privacy by knocking, but asserting my authority as your parent by coming in anyway."

http://media.tumblr.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 3:38:34 PM
At 8/5/2012 2:30:07 PM, Maikuru wrote:

So it's okay if the kid gets the impression that their masturbation session is going to be private, as long as the parents can crack it open and peep anyway once the kid isn't paying attention :P.

My solution is simple: Permit emancipation without making the procedure bloody impossible to meet without parental cooperation. If the kid can stand up in a courtroom and demand their freedom, they are free from that day forward, and their parents are free too. Let every child determine whether they value privacy more than what the parents give them, or value what some other willing custody-types offer more.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 7:22:19 PM

"I feel citizens deserve absolutely no privacy from their governments."

Hmm...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.