Jump to topic:

Facebook

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:18:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I deleted my account. I wanted to meet people when I broke up with my daughter's mother, and I have come to the realization that it does not help me meet people. It just helps me keep in touch with all the people that I don't really care about. Yeah I have relatives far away and they can call if they want to talk - I don't see how it helps at all.

Any opinions on FB here? I know several of you use DDO and not FB and I have now joined your ranks. It seems like I would meet a whole lot more people if I was out and about and not sitting on a damned computer reading through posts. Has FB ever done anything substantial for you that couldn't have been achieved through other means without all the wasted time and reading through all the BS pics, memes, etc.?
Rob
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:39:11 PM
Facebook is stupid. It's a waste of time and full of people you get sick of looking at.

However, without it I feel disconnected and have no source of easy gossip.

It's a love-hate relationship.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:39:58 PM
At 8/6/2012 11:18:05 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I deleted my account. I wanted to meet people when I broke up with my daughter's mother, and I have come to the realization that it does not help me meet people. It just helps me keep in touch with all the people that I don't really care about. Yeah I have relatives far away and they can call if they want to talk - I don't see how it helps at all.

Any opinions on FB here? I know several of you use DDO and not FB and I have now joined your ranks. It seems like I would meet a whole lot more people if I was out and about and not sitting on a damned computer reading through posts. Has FB ever done anything substantial for you that couldn't have been achieved through other means without all the wasted time and reading through all the BS pics, memes, etc.?

My dad found one of his sons (my half-brother) on Facebook, who he hadn't seen for 25 years and we've became really good mates; despite having completely different lives we're really, really similar.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:40:26 PM
I spend maybe 3 minutes on FB a day. I was very active during high school but like you said, the more active my real life became, the more irrelevant FB became. Now I use it exclusively for photos.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:44:02 PM
I find it pointless. I don't want to stay in touch with many people, and the handful who are close to me stay in contact with me in various ways. It's a waste of time if I had numerous "friends" that I barely knew and tried to follow up on their updates and such nonsensical activities.

Facebook can be used for good, but most people use it for what I deem bad. I'd use it for good, but it's unnecessary.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:50:48 PM
I go on face book like 2 times a month. DDO is much better.

A lot less of "OMG gosh girlfriend, so guess what!?"

I just go and post this video on peoples statuses all day.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 1:03:51 PM
LOL at the video. Not only is Facebook not effective for meeting people [you often find an old family member on there but that experience is going to be short-lived], but it seems to me like you only harm yourself with it. Most people post their accomplishments on there, and since only a small fraction of your friends will be close/family, most people don't really care and just take it as boasting. I often would want to post, and have to check myself and ask "should I really be bragging about this to everyone?" Put that together with the complaining and the down-right dumb posts (that often only the poster finds interesting) and it is a jumping board for social suicide.

People are complex and mysterious. At least the interesting people are. By posting constantly on FB, you take away that element from your personality. Instead of being interesting, making people want to find out more about you, you make people sick of hearing from you. There's less reason for them to meet with you in person. And that's sad because people are often much different IRL than on FB, but if you know their FB self then you won't ever really see that. Already, I can feel my personal value increasing now that I've left. People aren't getting that daily report on my life and activities and may actually start to wonder about or even miss me. And it's nice knowing that when I do get a text message it's not just some retarded comment on FB and actually someone trying to contact me directly.

FB, like many technologies, gives us a quick indulgence that we consider benign. We never stop to think that many of these technologies have hidden costs that are ignored and denied/justified by many people. Every piece of technology we use comes with a cost. If you want to perform a cost-benefit analysis and choose to use it then fine, but most people never take that step and instead refuse to believe that any costs exist. This is dangerous - it is ignorance. If you want to recognize that your car makes you MUCH less in shape than if you didn't have it, and weigh that against your benefits from it, then that's not as bad as just assuming you NEED a car and never questioning that assumption. Most technologies have the effect of making us lazier/fatter, less skilled, and less experienced in some form (usually a combination of all three). I can't really think of any type of human ability that isn't somehow put in check in some way by some piece of technology we use. Now I'm not saying we need to become cavemen again, because that is an extreme, just like the futuristic fat people in Wally were an extreme. The question becomes: what is the happy medium between these two extremes? Because I find that most people strive for the Wally extreme instinctively.
Rob
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 1:26:37 PM
Facebook is an Internet accompaniment to real life. It doesn't really take into account those people who are actually part of the Internet culture.

In reality, it seems to me to be a means to incentivize everyone making everything about themselves public.

If you haven't heard, you're in the wrong region. "Social networking" is probably the second to last place (trumped only by strange sites, if you know what I mean) one should ever go looking for love on the Internet... for such things, you're looking for Match.com, or eHarmony.com... or, if you're feeling particularly brave, CraigsList.com.

You're more likely to find love here than you are Facebook.

Ohhhh, the DDO Private Universe... I'm sure there are Mods out there that know a lot of juicy things.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 3:42:32 PM
I actually met someone I dated on Facebook.

Freshman year of college, I wanted to get my roommate laid so she would stop being such a C U Next Tuesday. She happened to be a lesbian. I joked around with her telling her that I was absolutely determined to find someone for her, even if it had to be on Facebook. This was when Facebook was first becoming popular (I'm old).

Because a lot of gay people aren't open about their sexuality on Facebook (most keep it hidden or blank), I searched for girls at Rutgers who liked the movie Lost And Delirious which is a lesbian movie. Sure enough, I came across a Jewish lesbian - and my roommate liked Jews. I had a gf at the time, but I reached out to the girl because my roommate was shy and I am not (plus I had nothing to lose).

While I genuinely had every intention of setting this random girl up with my friend - and was honest with her about being in a relationship - she came over to hang out one day (my gf was there) and wound up VERY obviously being into me instead of my roommate. Likewise, I was into her. Very shortly thereafter I broke up with my gf and wound up dating the girl from Facebook.

I've also been randomly "approached" by people on Facebook other times as well. It usually doesn't turn into anything, but then again I met who very well might be the love of my life on DDO also - and that's certainly not what this website is for lol. So you never know who you will meet and when/where.

In other news (since Rob is long-winded, I like to be too while responding ;] ) this other girl I e-mailed you about I got back in contact with through Facebook as well. I would never have had any other way of talking to her if it weren't for Facebook. Facebook makes it feel a lot less awkward or out of the blue to reconnect with people. I dunno - I wouldn't delete it if I were you. But maybe I'm biased because I don't use DDO anymore and that's our primary way of communication :P
President of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 10:18:02 PM
Dude you know what's a great place to meet women? Chuck E Cheese. And no they don't all have children. Look for the ones celebrating their best Friends child birthday. Or if you're into milfs, that place is a hunting ground.
#BlackLivesMatter
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 9:17:08 AM

Any opinions on FB here? I know several of you use DDO and not FB and I have now joined your ranks. It seems like I would meet a whole lot more people if I was out and about and not sitting on a damned computer reading through posts. Has FB ever done anything substantial for you that couldn't have been achieved through other means without all the wasted time and reading through all the BS pics, memes, etc.?:

The most substantial thing FB did for me was reconnect with old friends who I might not have gotten in touch with otherwise. Beyond that it's masturbatory.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 9:27:27 AM
At 8/9/2012 9:17:08 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Any opinions on FB here? I know several of you use DDO and not FB and I have now joined your ranks. It seems like I would meet a whole lot more people if I was out and about and not sitting on a damned computer reading through posts. Has FB ever done anything substantial for you that couldn't have been achieved through other means without all the wasted time and reading through all the BS pics, memes, etc.?:

The most substantial thing FB did for me was reconnect with old friends who I might not have gotten in touch with otherwise. Beyond that it's masturbatory.

I found my biological mother on Facebook.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 10:06:07 AM
At 8/9/2012 9:27:27 AM, drafterman wrote:

Seriously? Wow.

I have no problem with Facebook and I don't spend a lot of time on there. Most of my activity involves going through my "Friend" list and deleting people or putting them on limited profile. I add pictures for myself to have a record. Sometimes I update my status. That's about it.
yang.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 10:17:54 AM
At 8/9/2012 10:06:07 AM, tulle wrote:

Seriously? Wow.

Yes. I found an electronic copy of her and my father's marriage record online, from which I got her age, date of marriage, and maiden name.

Based on that I could estimate her DOB and since I knew what state she was from I searched Classmates.com for students in that area that fit her age range.

Then, in Facebook, I was able to correlate the name with the school, got a hit, sent a message, and voila.

I have no problem with Facebook and I don't spend a lot of time on there. Most of my activity involves going through my "Friend" list and deleting people or putting them on limited profile. I add pictures for myself to have a record. Sometimes I update my status. That's about it.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 10:30:52 AM
I use it to keep in touch with people.

I live like, on the other side of the city from most of my friends, so it's convenient.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 11:03:00 AM
I used FB and Orkut for around one and a half semester in college. At that time, Orkut was more popular than FB in India. It turned out that online life was consuming 6-8 hours of my real life everyday. So I deleted both accounts.

While it lasted, it was really nice. I met all my old school friends. On Orkut, I used to be really busy with religious, political and Indian-Pakistani exchanges.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:46:55 PM
At 8/9/2012 10:17:54 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/9/2012 10:06:07 AM, tulle wrote:

Seriously? Wow.

Yes. I found an electronic copy of her and my father's marriage record online, from which I got her age, date of marriage, and maiden name.

Based on that I could estimate her DOB and since I knew what state she was from I searched Classmates.com for students in that area that fit her age range.

Then, in Facebook, I was able to correlate the name with the school, got a hit, sent a message, and voila.

That's pretty incredible :)
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 6:05:13 PM
Good luck trying to remember your friends and families birthday without facebook.

And good luck getting invited to anything w/out facebook. Oh, you didn't get the invitation to the wedding, I sent it out through facebook :p.

However, without a facebook it does make cheating easier.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 6:06:46 PM
At 8/9/2012 9:17:08 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Exactly; once you connect with the old friends, you say hi, realize why you didn't keep up with them in the first place, and then sit and spin. Danielle's story seems exceedingly rare and I think it has a lot to do with her orientation; lesbians have a much greater utility for social networking than straights.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 6:11:40 PM
At 8/9/2012 6:05:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Good luck trying to remember your friends and families birthday without facebook.

I didn't care about that during my 8-year FB tenure and I don't now. I have a few close friends/family and the rest I really don't care about.

And good luck getting invited to anything w/out facebook. Oh, you didn't get the invitation to the wedding, I sent it out through facebook :p.

I know people use FB for invites but I very rarely actually attend an event that is on there. And the ones I have I would have found out through seeing my friends anyway.

I don't think there is any sense in that statement at all.
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 6:33:46 AM

Haha - this is so true. I actually had to make a second FB once to keep up appearances (I won't get into detail). Anyway, Facebook is also really good for stalking and spying... if you're into that sort of thing. I'm part of this group that's called "A jealous girlfriend does better research than the FBI" and it's so effing true. I've caught and been caught using FB. It's a pretty double edge sword. Really though, just like DDO, I'm not sure why you'd delete your account. Just log in whenever you feel like it.
President of DDO
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 9:13:56 AM
I almost never use it, it's so boring. I had around 350 friends and when I deleted everyone I never talked with, I was left with around 50 friends.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 9:44:45 AM
At 8/10/2012 6:33:46 AM, Danielle wrote:

Haha - this is so true. I actually had to make a second FB once to keep up appearances (I won't get into detail). Anyway, Facebook is also really good for stalking and spying... if you're into that sort of thing. I'm part of this group that's called "A jealous girlfriend does better research than the FBI" and it's so effing true. I've caught and been caught using FB. It's a pretty double edge sword. Really though, just like DDO, I'm not sure why you'd delete your account. Just log in whenever you feel like it.

I don't understand your logic but I'm starting to realize that whatever experiences you and Kermit have I do not share. And that's a good thing.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 2:14:42 PM
At 8/10/2012 9:13:56 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
I almost never use it, it's so boring. I had around 350 friends and when I deleted everyone I never talked with, I was left with around 50 friends.

This is what I hate about Facebook. Its like a contest of who can get the most friends, like everyone one is in the first-grade.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 3:43:02 PM
At 8/10/2012 2:14:42 PM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:

This is what I hate about Facebook. Its like a contest of who can get the most friends, like everyone one is in the first-grade.

I tried to keep my number at about 200... I imagine I would have been over 1,000 if I had not been pretty active in deleting people. But yeah as far as who I actually cared about and talked to, 50 would have been about right. The thing is that that extra ~150 would have been the crowd that I don't exactly talk to, but would have possibly been offended by their deletion. That's just another screwed up part about the whole mess.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:18:58 PM
At 8/10/2012 2:14:42 PM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:

Agreed. And then there are the people who have two thousands of friends or more who I seriously don't understand.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 11:06:00 PM
Well I took it the next step and replaced my cell-phone with a land-line. I figure this will give me back my ability to plan things out better... everyone is so flaky these days, making and breaking plans and requiring last-minute communications to get anything done. I'd get rid of the phone altogether if I didn't need it for employment purposes. Can't really get or maintain a job without one...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 2:14:28 PM
At 8/10/2012 6:33:46 AM, Danielle wrote:

You know how I got caught? Forgot to erase the goddamn text messages like an idiot. Then I set my phone up with a face unlock. You can get into my phone unless you look like me....and she doesn't. She cooks a big dinner, has sex with me, and scans my face while I'm asleep. Who does that type of James Bond $hit?!
#BlackLivesMatter