Jump to topic:

My 15 minute of almost fame, or infamy.

mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 12:15:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Disclaimer: I did not name this article, but I did write it. The title slightly distracted from my ideas within, so I ask that you read the article and judge the message for what it is, rather than the title alone. I've also dealt with some of the misconceptions in the comment section, if you're interested in that as well.

Also, I know that I made a mistake in regards to my supporting evidence in my argument against social darwinism, but I think it's irrelevant to the fact that social darwinism is actually incorrect. I am actually aware of how evolution works, but frankly, I wrote this in somewhat of a haste and did not proofread it.

You can read it here: http://bigthink.com...

I would love some feedback from the community here, rather than the somewhat thin and superficial responses that I have gotten so far.

Thanks DDOers, enjoy!
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 12:21:14 PM
"Without getting too detailed on that point, I still would like to point out that evolutionary advantages arose on the basis of 'competition' between species, not within them."

That is false. Individuals within the same species compete for many identical resources, especially mates. Evolutionary advantage arose because of adaptation to the environment and reproductive progress, which mostly occurs within species. For example, some harp seals have evolved some characteristics which make them more likely to make females mate.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 3:39:05 PM
At 8/13/2012 12:21:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
"Without getting too detailed on that point, I still would like to point out that evolutionary advantages arose on the basis of 'competition' between species, not within them."

That is false. Individuals within the same species compete for many identical resources, especially mates. Evolutionary advantage arose because of adaptation to the environment and reproductive progress, which mostly occurs within species. For example, some harp seals have evolved some characteristics which make them more likely to make females mate.

"Also, I know that I made a mistake in regards to my supporting evidence in my argument against social darwinism, but I think it's irrelevant to the fact that social darwinism is actually incorrect. I am actually aware of how evolution works, but frankly, I wrote this in somewhat of a haste and did not proofread it."

I wrote that in the initial post to preempt this type of comment. I'm aware of the nature of my mistake, and already admitted it. There's not much else I can do about it.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 3:40:19 PM
At 8/13/2012 3:39:05 PM, mark.marrocco wrote:

"Also, I know that I made a mistake in regards to my supporting evidence in my argument against social darwinism, but I think it's irrelevant to the fact that social darwinism is actually incorrect. I am actually aware of how evolution works, but frankly, I wrote this in somewhat of a haste and did not proofread it."

I wrote that in the initial post to preempt this type of comment. I'm aware of the nature of my mistake, and already admitted it. There's not much else I can do about it.

Didn't catch that. My apologies then.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:27:44 PM
At 8/13/2012 3:40:19 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/13/2012 3:39:05 PM, mark.marrocco wrote:

Didn't catch that. My apologies then.

Not a problem. You're the only one who responded even somewhat after all. lol