Jump to topic:

Do you have

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:37:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
an inverse relationship between intellectual building and social time?

When you research, or delve into a topic that is very interesting to you, you become generally irritable and less social and snappy?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:23:09 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:37:49 AM, Cermank wrote:

When you research, or delve into a topic that is very interesting to you, you become generally irritable and less social and snappy?

Yes.
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:41:09 PM
I don't like to be interrupted if I'm involved in something, but I'm not sure that equates to "intellectual building." If I'm watching a mystery movie or a somewhat dopey anime, I still don't like being interrupted.
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:13:49 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:37:49 AM, Cermank wrote:

Yes.

I'd say that I definitely become less social, but mostly because I'm engrossed in what I'm doing and become oblivious to everything else. Being alone is necessary for me to recharge though, and irritability and snappiness come when either I haven't had enough alone time, or when I have had so much alone time that I've deprived myself of social interaction for longer than even I can handle.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 5:27:28 PM
I'd say yes, because what I'm intently focused on consumes my mind even as I'm going throughout my day, and I don't like to be distracted by anything else.
President of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:12:00 PM
I'll have to be the combo breaker and say no. The deeper I delve into a subject, the more necessary I find it to discuss it with others. I like to do this often as a means of confirming my understanding. I also take regular social breaks while studying and writing. I feel like it 'wakes up' the rest of my brain.

That is all academic, though. Like Roy said, this does not translate to entertainment. During LOST marathons, I'd turn off my phone.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 9:33:13 AM
At 8/16/2012 11:12:00 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'll have to be the combo breaker and say no. The deeper I delve into a subject, the more necessary I find it to discuss it with others. I like to do this often as a means of confirming my understanding. I also take regular social breaks while studying and writing. I feel like it 'wakes up' the rest of my brain.

I wish I had such friends.

That is all academic, though. Like Roy said, this does not translate to entertainment. During LOST marathons, I'd turn off my phone.