Jump to topic:

Confusing dreams with reality

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:01:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do you ever get confused, after dreaming a lot, what was real and what was the dream? I have certain memories and I can't remember whether I dreamed them or experienced them directly... This happens to me occasionally and I find it interesting.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:27:29 PM
I hate when I have an incredible dream, the contents of which occurs the subsequent day, and I wake up only to realize that none of it happened.

I feel incredibly relieved when the above occurs but something horrible happens in the dream.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:34:35 PM
At 8/21/2012 1:01:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Do you ever get confused, after dreaming a lot, what was real and what was the dream? I have certain memories and I can't remember whether I dreamed them or experienced them directly... This happens to me occasionally and I find it interesting.

I have always had really vivid dreams, most of them not pleasant, ever since I was a kid. I can't recall waking them up and confusing them with reality, but I don't forget many of them (which I wish wasn't the case).
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 5:23:33 PM
Not so much with dreams, but sometimes I lie so much about something that I forget it's not true.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 5:38:17 PM
Well, after I wake up, or close to waking up (The part where you can barely stand up) is where I cannot judge what was a dream and what was a reality. It's awesome when you finally realize a bad situation was actually a dream. So yeah, sometimes I can't remember if something is real or not.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 10:52:57 PM
At 8/21/2012 5:23:33 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Not so much with dreams, but sometimes I lie so much about something that I forget it's not true.

The prophetic words of Dostoyevsky:

" A man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point where he does not discern any truth either in himself or anywhere around him, and thus falls into disrespect towards himself and others. Not respecting anyone, he ceases to love, and having no love, he gives himself up to the passions and coarse pleasures, in order to occupy and amuse himself, and in his vices reaches complete bestiality, and it all comes from lying continually to others and to himself."
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 10:58:01 PM
At 8/21/2012 10:52:57 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/21/2012 5:23:33 PM, Maikuru wrote:

The prophetic words of Dostoyevsky:

" A man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point where he does not discern any truth either in himself or anywhere around him, and thus falls into disrespect towards himself and others. Not respecting anyone, he ceases to love, and having no love, he gives himself up to the passions and coarse pleasures, in order to occupy and amuse himself, and in his vices reaches complete bestiality, and it all comes from lying continually to others and to himself."

That actually sounds about right.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:28:55 AM
Major events are easy to tell; it's the small things I dream about that confuse me because it's just not obvious. When I was little I would dream that I stashed a candy-bar under my pillow, then wake up and look for it and be confused about it not being there.

I seem to dream a lot about doughnuts. The fact that they are a breakfast food means I'm thinking about them in the morning, so I sometimes dream about having them as I wake up. Ironically I really never even eat them because they are so particularly unhealthy.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 5:36:32 AM
I can have really vivid dreams at times, but the only times I confuse them with reality is usually my thoughts. What I am thinking often affects my dreams, so then a thought occurs, but I don't know which thought was which.

So far, it's usually about work or family, neither of which I care much about, so it hasn't been a problem yet. But I wonder if it means I am/will go crazy or lose all credibility with memories...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:04:24 AM
Yeah, i do that a lot. It's odd, because i'll be talking about something i'm sure happened and... Nope, it never did. I also used to do what Maikuru said, lie so much i forget it's a lie. I try not to do that anymore but it still happens sometimes.