Jump to topic:

Tell us about your Surgeries

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 10:35:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've had too many to count, but I'll tell you about the one I'm having tomorrow. Click on this picture first: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net...

I'm having surgery tomorrow at two. I smashed my foot into a rock while mountain biking in Pennsylvania, and my 2nd digit's metatarsal broke close to the joint. The procedure to correct this uses x-rays and involves inserting a pin through my toe, through the bone fragment '1', and into metatarsal '2'. I hope it goes well because I enjoy walking, running, and playing Ultimate Frisbee.

Have you had surgery before? How did you get injuredd? What was the operation? How has it handled over time? What did you learn from the entire ordeal?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 10:51:54 PM
At 8/21/2012 10:35:24 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I've had too many to count, but I'll tell you about the one I'm having tomorrow. Click on this picture first: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net...

I'm having surgery tomorrow at two. I smashed my foot into a rock while mountain biking in Pennsylvania, and my 2nd digit's metatarsal broke close to the joint. The procedure to correct this uses x-rays and involves inserting a pin through my toe, through the bone fragment '1', and into metatarsal '2'. I hope it goes well because I enjoy walking, running, and playing Ultimate Frisbee.

Have you had surgery before? How did you get injuredd? What was the operation? How has it handled over time? What did you learn from the entire ordeal?

I've had my appendix removed (sadly, it wasn't laparoscopy). It actually burst :/ they basically cut open my abdomen and removed a useless organ. How did I get injured? I don't know if this is an injury...How has it handled? Well it hurt like hell for a long, long time. What did I learn? Nothing, because it wasn't my fault.

And...I've had several pins inserted into my arms. As well as...one other I'm not going to share.

Your surgery seems rather straightforward, don't worry yourself.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 10:57:27 PM
The title of this thread made me laugh. Anyway, only tonsils here. I'm still fresh and new like a baby.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 11:35:44 PM
I haven't ever had surgery but I really should've; twice.

The first time was in about sixth grade and I broke my wrist really bad jumping a bike. This is basically what it looked like: http://www.sciencephoto.com... (X-Ray) and as you can tell it was really broken. Instead of surgery the doctors give me a drug that makes you forget stuff and yank it back into place. I'm told you could hear my screams in the lobby. After they they put a whole-arm cast on it and for the next four months stiff sucked. Didn't help that after they replaced the whole-arm cast with a forearm cast my sister got mad at me for some reason and gave it a twist. Re-broke that s*** and the next two months were fun. Can't turn my left wrist further than 90 degrees.

The second time I was riding a quad and rolled it. The thing bounced and landed on my foot. Crushed it and broke every single bone except the toes. It also left this very nice wound: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net... (Kinda gross). Six months in a brace because the wound prevented them from casting it. Now there's nerve damage on that spot, can't feel a thing, and I need a special brace to to any strenuous activity.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 11:41:41 PM
At 8/21/2012 10:57:27 PM, Maikuru wrote:
The title of this thread made me laugh. Anyway, only tonsils here. I'm still fresh and new like a baby.

N00b
kfc
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 11:42:48 PM

I'm having surgery tomorrow at two. I smashed my foot into a rock while mountain biking in Pennsylvania,

I thought you said you broke your toe because you got really good head? Sounded like she was doing such a great job you kicked the wall or something lol
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 10:28:27 PM
At 8/21/2012 11:42:48 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I'm having surgery tomorrow at two. I smashed my foot into a rock while mountain biking in Pennsylvania,

I thought you said you broke your toe because you got really good head? Sounded like she was doing such a great job you kicked the wall or something lol

haha, the one I had today was amazing because I'm taking hydrocodone for pain, and when it combines with a BJ = :O :D
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 10:41:33 PM
At 8/21/2012 10:57:27 PM, Maikuru wrote:

This (except for the bold part).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 10:42:05 PM
Not any that I can remember, but I did have pertussis and was hooked up to an IV. I really like needles...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 10:58:53 PM
In all seriousness thought, I have had two surgeries. I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out in the fifth grade, and my senior year I had a surgery to cut out a MRSA abscess in my knee.

That infection hurt like holy hell.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 4:29:31 AM
I had my tonsils and adenoids removed when i was i think 6 years old. When i was about two, i had surgery to remove a huge birthmark on my face. It only took that long because my mom couldn't find a surgeon that would do it. Then she found a surgeon that yelled at her for not having it done sooner, lol. I still have a scar on my face, but i love the scar. It's about an inch long and goes from my lip to the general direction of my chin. I've never had an accident that required surgery, which is honestly amazing considering the amount of stupid things i have done.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 5:05:53 PM
Hernia and another on they way. Have to get the second at the beginning of next year. And countless gashes to the skin that required stitches.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:19:15 AM
At 8/26/2012 5:05:53 PM, sadolite wrote:
Hernia and another on they way. Have to get the second at the beginning of next year. And countless gashes to the skin that required stitches.

I had to get 150 stitches and 56 staples on my arm's laceration.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 10:27:28 AM
Wisdom teeth pulled. Only surgery I ever had.

That's not to say I haven't had other serious medical problems though. When I had a heart attack, my heart was enlarged and beating slow so they got a wire, stuck it through my pelvic area and poked my heart with the wire to make it beat faster. And I was awake during the whole thing, fortunately I was on morphine.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:54:11 AM
I had surgery on my left hand when I fell onto a glass bottle that cut my tendons and my nerves. I've also had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled (big deal). My BFF had open heart surgery last September. If she hadn't gotten the procedure done (the hospital manipulated the insurance company by pretending she went to the ER), she wouldn't have lived to see 30.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:55:26 AM
The reason I mentioned her surgery in addition to mine is because they taped it for a TV show and you can watch it online (for those interested in medicine... or gore). It's actually really cool. But alas I don't have the link on my work computer, so I told you about it for nothing :P
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:56:20 AM
2 inguinal hernia repairs (thank you very much, BUD/S) and 1 appendectomy on Thanksgiving. Happy Holidays!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:58:12 AM
Wow O.o

I haven't had anything like this . . . I've never even broken any bones. I once sliced my thumb, but that was a pretty superficial wound; I only went to the ER because the boxcutter that sliced it had been used to handle biological materials in a lab. Besides that, I don't think I've had anything worse than scrapes and a few pulled muscles. InB4 "sheltered", my siblings have had several broken bones and other injuries; I'm just really lucky (they were also more physically active as children; I preferred to read books outside).
BiancaYuseth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:38:06 AM
One of my first surgeries was when I was a baby because I was born with the bottom of my eyelashes inside both my eyes. Weird, but I still have small scars underneath my eyes.