Jump to topic:

What Happened To Rock Music?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 5:11:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It seems like Rock is dying. There's no more rock stars anymore.

Electro reinvented itself and became big. Hip Hop has always been big, but it has succeeded in staying fresh. Electro and Hip Hop are the two biggest genres right now, which is fine because they are two of my favorites, but my other favorite is Rock but Rock is dwindling. There's no Metallicas, no Led Zeppelins, no Beatles, no Jimi Hendrix, etc. These guys were on top of the world.

You can't name one Rock band on that level. Who's big, Foo Fighters? The Killers? 5 Finger Death Punch? None of these guys are on that level.

The greatest metal band currently is Lamb of God, but they don't get any play on the radio except XM. You can name a few good modern bands, but they probably aren't getting good exposure.

I think Rock needs to come with something fresh and innovative like Electro did in order to stay alive. Do you think Rock is dying?

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:12:50 PM
The Black Keys... The Heavy...

That's all I can think of for popular and also GOOD rock music.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:14:33 PM
Rock is dead. Rock remains dead. And we have killed it. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become Rock Stars simply to appear worthy of it?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:50:58 PM
My favorite modern rock bands:

Foster the People
Lamb of God
All That Remains
Empire of the Sun
The Bravery

But these guys aren't that big and hardly on the radio. The Black Keys are meh.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:58:41 PM
What's happening is that genres are getting more specific each year. Metal alone has DOZENS of different sub-genres... There will always be "pop" which is easy listening for everybody, and some bands that are really good within their genre will break into pop, but there's just so many different ways to slice the pie now that each piece is very small.

Compare this to when the Beatles came out... there weren't even any other bands playing an electric bass! The Beatles were pretty much the beginning of bands using a trio of guitars... lead, rhythm, bass... compare that to nowadays and they'd be just one sub-genre amongst hundreds that have similar but slightly differing styles.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:59:22 PM
Incubus is arguably the most prolific current band, but it's been a while from them!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 7:31:53 PM
Stuff comes and goes. Who knows, maybe rock will be extremely popular the next generation.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:08:22 PM
If you mean rock like the 60's and 70's, I have to mostly agree. There are still some great bands though like gorillaz and MGMT.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:49:57 PM
I think the neocons have begun another war on rock (again.) I heard Michael Savage last week compare the Church to Punk Rock (Good in contrasts to Evil.)
turn down for h'what
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 1:48:14 AM
At 8/22/2012 11:08:22 PM, phantom wrote:
If you mean rock like the 60's and 70's, I have to mostly agree. There are still some great bands though like gorillaz and MGMT.

OK those are great bands but correct me if I'm wrong those are "indie rock" bands. That's one of a bazillions rock genres.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 7:47:16 AM
I also believe rock is dying the only good rock we have now is Skillet and 3 Days Grace.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 10:48:22 AM

I like them both A LOT, but I wouldn't consider them rock. Well, maybe MGMT, but not The Gorillaz (they're more electronic and hip-hop).

I also agree with Rob that Incubus is good but MIA.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 10:48:35 AM
Geo, out of curiosity, how do you think Electro "reinvented" itself? When you come up with an answer, couldn't you apply that to rock as well? Perhaps all is not lost. Also, I don't hear any electronic music (at least the stuff I listen to) on the radio. While it's definitely becoming increasingly popular, it's still not mainstream… yet, with the exception of David Guetta (pfft). The closest I've seen it come is a few dubstep breaks in the middle of pop songs, or used in TV commercials. Hip-hop and R&B have also started using dance music/beats. I'd say Pop still dominates the charts with Rap as a close second.

I agree that The Black Keys are probably the best modern rock band out there. I also like The White Stripes but they haven't put anything out in awhile. Admittedly neither of these bands are anywhere near the other rock artists you've mentioned; however, good rock isn't dead—it just isn't popular. I can't think of any rock band who has come close to legendary status in awhile either in talent or popularity. Green Day was probably the closest when they released their concept album back in 05.

Other bands I like include Muse and Modest Mouse. I like SOAD but they haven't had anything recent. I'm sure you'll agree that the culture surrounding the music is what made Electronic become popular: music festivals/ concerts and drugs – the same things that made rock popular back in the day. So how can rock change its status or image? I'm not sure… good thread question.
President of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:21:14 PM
At 8/23/2012 1:48:14 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

OK those are great bands but correct me if I'm wrong those are "indie rock" bands. That's one of a bazillions rock genres.

Alternative rock, but most rock bands belong to a certain genre. Pink floyd for example is progressive rock as were the beatles in their latter days.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:26:38 PM
At 8/22/2012 6:50:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
My favorite modern rock bands:

Foster the People
Lamb of God
All That Remains
Empire of the Sun
The Bravery

Foster the People, Empire of the Sun and The Bravery are good. I like some of what The Black Keys have done, but some of their stuff is dicey. As a genre though, pop and hip hop are having a three-some with techno and stuff that sounds like this is what you come up with:
Tsar of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:41:58 PM
At 8/23/2012 10:48:22 AM, Danielle wrote:

I like them both A LOT, but I wouldn't consider them rock. Well, maybe MGMT, but not The Gorillaz (they're more electronic and hip-hop).

I also agree with Rob that Incubus is good but MIA.

Gorillaz are pretty mixed in my opinion. Songs like "Clint Eastwood" and "Feel Good" are more hip-hop and songs like glitter freeze, electronic but ones like el manna are more rock and I think the larger portion of their songs have elements of rock.

ITunes labels them indie rock. Their facebook page says alternative rock which I would agree with.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:47:10 PM
Isn't Gorillaz considered "indie rock" like MGMT?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:57:55 PM
At 8/23/2012 4:47:10 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Isn't Gorillaz considered "indie rock" like MGMT?

According to ITunes but ITunes sucks at labeling genres. Few people would say they're indie. For Gorillaz, most peoples opinions seem to be alternative rock, alternative hip-hop, electronic, or just a mix. MGMT allot would say are psychedelic rock or something similar.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:27:03 AM
Rock is not dead. The radio is dead. But that sucked anyway. There are some damn good bands out there, you just have to actually look for them. But even that doesn't require much effort, with Youtube and Google/Bing/Yahoo/whatever else.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 10:29:53 AM
At 8/24/2012 3:27:03 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Rock is not dead. The radio is dead. But that sucked anyway. There are some damn good bands out there, you just have to actually look for them. But even that doesn't require much effort, with Youtube and Google/Bing/Yahoo/whatever else.

Yeah, I know what the good rock bands are, but I'm talking about the fact that there are no more rock bands that have that immortal status like Zeppelin, Megadeth, Metallica, Beatles, etc.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:50:05 AM
I forgot to add that the Red Hot Chili Peppers have probably been the closest thing to a really big mainstream rock band in awhile. They've been around the block, so I guess I'd say they've maintained their following as opposed to emerged on the scene as reviving rock.

I wouldn't consider The Gorillaz rock by any means. Every song I can think of from the top of my head by them is electronic/ hip-hop. I could see calling them indie, but not indie rock (not that all of the labels make sense to me anyway).

To the person who posted Titanium... facepalm. If you're going to post something to represent a genre, lol, make it a good song. Most of what David Guetta puts out these days is watered down pop music with electronic roots.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 12:01:18 PM
Rock isn't dead, it just isn't as mainstream as it used to be. And being that I listen to mostly underground music, I could care less.

There's simply more music than ever before to choose from, so achieving the level of The Beattles, GNR, Nirvana, etc is more difficult. They had far less options in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. The shelf-life of bands is not nearly as long because the competition is so steep.

It's not that there aren't any rock bands, it's that there's too many.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:58:28 AM
Oasis needs to come back and destroy the charts.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 5:36:25 PM
At 8/28/2012 9:53:35 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Chevelle
The Black Keys
All That Remains
etc

There are plenty of good, popular rock bands now days.

You didn't read the thread.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 6:51:36 PM
I like the mars volta 8P
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 6:52:53 PM
At 8/22/2012 6:50:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I like most of their stuff but I liked their first album best... and those were covers :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."