Jump to topic:

Displays of Affection

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 6:08:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a question. Do you think it is okay for parents to show affection towards one another in front of their children. Nothing too dramatic, just a kiss or hug here and there. I for one believe that it teaches your children how to love and you know that your parents love each other.

I don't even remember the last time my parents kissed in front of me or even touched each other passionately. No one talks about love in my household just because we know its there already. Because of this, it feels really awkward thinking about saying "I love you" to my parents. I just can't do it.

What do you think? Do displays of affection affect the children?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 2:15:14 PM
Children usually respond well to seeing parents show affection for each other and will mimic it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 3:59:47 PM
At 8/23/2012 6:08:32 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
I have a question. Do you think it is okay for parents to show affection towards one another in front of their children. Nothing too dramatic, just a kiss or hug here and there. I for one believe that it teaches your children how to love and you know that your parents love each other.

I don't even remember the last time my parents kissed in front of me or even touched each other passionately. No one talks about love in my household just because we know its there already. Because of this, it feels really awkward thinking about saying "I love you" to my parents. I just can't do it.

It's remarkable how much kids learn about romantic relationships from their parents. Remarkable indeed.
Tsar of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:39:48 PM
My parents know one family that, when on vacation, if the kids are arguing in the back and fussing, the parents pull over and make out until the kids quiet down. :) Win.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 4:42:54 PM
At 8/23/2012 4:39:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:
My parents know one family that, when on vacation, if the kids are arguing in the back and fussing, the parents pull over and make out until the kids quiet down. :) Win.

I would hate to think what they do when the kids are REALLY bad... [insert lude remark here]
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 5:46:28 PM
At 8/23/2012 4:42:54 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/23/2012 4:39:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I would hate to think what they do when the kids are REALLY bad... [insert lude remark here]

Mmmm, I wanna go on road trips with em!
kfc
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 6:25:58 PM
Public parental affection and overt familial love are largely cultural, with Asians ranking near the bottom, Whites near the top, and Blacks and Hispanics hovering in the middle. My senior thesis covered this topic so I could provide some sources...but it's somewhere in the back of my closet.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:06:22 PM

What do you think? Do displays of affection affect the children?:

I think it's an important aspect of childhood development for parents to show affection. Obviously, this is within reason. Gag balls and dominatrix suits would probably be traumatizing.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:20:09 PM
At 8/24/2012 3:06:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

What do you think? Do displays of affection affect the children?:

I think it's an important aspect of childhood development for parents to show affection. Obviously, this is within reason. Gag balls and dominatrix suits would probably be traumatizing.

So, you're saying we shouldn't teach our children discipline?
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:28:56 PM
... I don't even remember the last time my parents kissed in front of me or even touched each other passionately. No one talks about love in my household just because we know its there already. Because of this, it feels really awkward thinking about saying "I love you" to my parents. I just can't do it.

Precisely same here. On other hand, I feel perfectly OK in giving them gifts without saying anything.

I like the way my parents brought us up.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.