Jump to topic:

Book Recommendations

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:34:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Now, considering that we do have a reading list thread, I suppose I'll start one about recommendations. Reading is always enjoyable with the whole berth to explore.

To permit some sort of regulation, each member should include a subject, whether specific or not (if not, please qualify or include specifications--book type, subject, scope, etc, one line after), in bold, after making the requirement...or a general book to recommend. Members can recommend several books as part of their roster. For example, if I were to state "Ethics" (in bold) and then, in the second line "College textbook dealing with the basics of the field", then that qualifies as an arguable specification. In response, member X may be able to list..two textbooks he used before.

These qualifications are not necessary when a member seeks a wider scope of book(s) to preclude stagnation or an obstruction--waiting for the next member to come along and identify some good books on that subject. (I know I'll be reminding myself this little tip, since my threads have been too specific...and unanswered). And, just as obvious, members have free reign over the subject. They can also use genre as a substitute, etc.

In anyhoo, here's the first subject: (I won't be recommending books since there was no previous subject/genre before this post).

Evolution

Non-textbook books/resources.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:39:34 PM
Not sure if you would like the same things I do. I still love, fiction, fantasy, action, adventure, etc.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:41:19 PM
At 8/24/2012 12:39:34 PM, TUF wrote:
Not sure if you would like the same things I do. I still love, fiction, fantasy, action, adventure, etc.

That doesn't really matter, to be honest, TUF. I'd welcome any book recommended by a member on the site. :-)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:43:27 PM
At 8/24/2012 12:29:12 PM, Danielle wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

To be fair, the books recommended by members may not be specified in that thread...since that only pertains to the current reading list, not to the entirety of books read by the person, but eh...

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:43:45 PM
===Evolution===

"The Top 10 Myths About Evolution" by Cameron Smith.

"Climbing Mount Improbable"
by Richard Dawkins.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:47:03 PM
At 8/24/2012 3:34:18 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Now, considering that we do have a reading list thread, I suppose I'll start one about recommendations. Reading is always enjoyable with the whole berth to explore.

To permit some sort of regulation, each member should include a subject, whether specific or not (if not, please qualify or include specifications--book type, subject, scope, etc, one line after), in bold, after making the requirement...or a general book to recommend. Members can recommend several books as part of their roster. For example, if I were to state "Ethics" (in bold) and then, in the second line "College textbook dealing with the basics of the field", then that qualifies as an arguable specification. In response, member X may be able to list..two textbooks he used before.

These qualifications are not necessary when a member seeks a wider scope of book(s) to preclude stagnation or an obstruction--waiting for the next member to come along and identify some good books on that subject. (I know I'll be reminding myself this little tip, since my threads have been too specific...and unanswered). And, just as obvious, members have free reign over the subject. They can also use genre as a substitute, etc.

In anyhoo, here's the first subject: (I won't be recommending books since there was no previous subject/genre before this post).

Evolution

Non-textbook books/resources.

(And I forgot to mention the member who answers should post a subject/genre of their own).

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:54:02 PM
Epistemology (non-textbooks)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 11:01:00 PM
At 8/24/2012 12:54:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Since no-one is responding... ====================================
Epistemology by Richard Feldman
Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge by Robert Audt

Poetry/short-story
(Anthologies, mass-collections, whether from one or multiple authors)

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:26:17 PM
At 8/24/2012 11:01:00 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/24/2012 12:54:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Since no-one is responding... ====================================
Epistemology by Richard Feldman
Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge by Robert Audt

Poetry/short-story
(Anthologies, mass-collections, whether from one or multiple authors)

Norton's Anthology of American Literature (it has some pretty good short stories in there as well as poetry :P)

Historical Fiction
(novels...geez some of us like light reading...)