Jump to topic:

What would you kill for?

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:49:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Recently a thread was made that asked users what they would die for. Of course we got the typical answers. Family, lovers, and bacon. However, I think a question posed in the topic title is much more compelling.

What would you kill for?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:58:50 AM
I'd kill in retaliation of the murder or dismemberment of someone close to me.

Some people would kill for $24,000 a year with benefits.
http://www.careerleak.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:03:49 AM
Vengeance or money, unless the victim is an innocent, in which case probably nothing.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:06:05 AM
At 8/29/2012 3:03:49 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Vengeance or money, unless the victim is an innocent, in which case probably nothing.

Your post just reminded me of the Boondock Saints.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:16:11 AM
I would kill a fat guy to stop a trolley.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:17:03 AM
I would kill everything for the imprisonment of so many others, without due consent, in itself. ;)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:11:45 PM
At 8/29/2012 3:06:05 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/29/2012 3:03:49 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Your post just reminded me of the Boondock Saints.

Great movie. I don't care what rotten tomatoes says.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:12:35 PM
I'd kill anyone who initiated force to the extent that I judge that on net the result of my action involves less likelihood of initiation of force against me in the future without other serious drawbacks.

This potentially includes things like:

Killing innocents, taxing them, stealing their candy bars, etc.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:15:58 PM
At 8/29/2012 2:49:17 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Recently a thread was made that asked users what they would die for. Of course we got the typical answers. Family, lovers, and bacon. However, I think a question posed in the topic title is much more compelling.

What would you kill for?

I think my answer will work best if I divide it into what I would and would not kill for. So here it goes:

Would/Will kill for:

1) My own survival.

2)The survival and/or safety of my family, friends, and anyone else equally close to me or them.

3) Freedom. True freedom, not the meaning-devoid slogan version employed by contemporary "democracies."

4) Peace. Again the real kind instead of just the catch-phrase kind. I tend to agree with Einstein here, "I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war."

Wouldn't/Won't kill for:

1) The State I happen to reside in, because I think that the judgement of politicians is necessarily clouded by desire of personal gain and the influence of established organizations and corporations that are motivated by economic agendas and cultural prejudices. I also tend to think that the less power a government has, the better, so I refuse to lend them my powers as a means to their aforementioned, unjustifiable ends.

2) Religion. My personal religion is so fluid, uncertain, and abstract that I could not possibly allow myself to be tied down to one organized or traditional religion. I label myself as an agnostic, both for convenience and because I think straddling the fence between all of the religious possibilities is the best way to gain insight into "God" and spirituality. With that being said, the religious practice that I would most agree with is that of Buddhism, because I think people of all times,especially now, have needed time to clear their minds of all of life's obligations in order to organize and recover them. For this and the fact that I'm highly skeptical of the idea of a personal god, I tend to think the meditative, ontological practice of Buddhism is superior to the theological, prayer-dedicating practice of other religions, namely Western ones. However, I would not kill for Buddhism or any other religious denomination, mainly because of my first point about my own ephemeral religion, but also because I think they are all, probably, ultimately incorrect and therefore not worth taking existing lives for.

3) Ideology. I think that, no different from my opinion on religion, all contemporary and classic Ideologies are ultimately incorrect, and therefore not worth killing for.

*Special Case*

Truth: I think that all of what we presently consider true can be categorized by the following labels, in rough order of most to least common;

a) Prejudices/Biases. (Like flies)
b) Illusions/Delusions.
c) Half-truths.
d) Lies.
e) Absolute truth. (Like Unicorns)

My capacity for doubt generally outweighs my ability to believe so I am highly skeptical of what is commonly regarded as "obvious," true, or worst of all "common sense." Therefore I am reduced to imagining myself defending an opinion, interpretation, working hypothesis, or theory, and thus would not be in a position where I would be willing to kill. Some facts might be worth dying for, but I strongly doubt that knowledge is ever a real motivator or justification for murder.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:21:17 PM

What would you kill for?

Depends on who will be subject to the killing.
Tsar of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:36:46 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:17:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I'd kill if I felt like it.

Careful!

You're a man.. Remember?

http://media.tumblr.com...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 12:41:00 AM

What would you kill for?

I would kill to be happy for the rest of my life, that is, if I could be happy knowing I killed someone.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 12:42:28 AM

What would you kill for?

I'd kill to stay get out of imprisonment.