Jump to topic:

I'm dropping out of high school.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:47:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How would I have a career if I drop out of high school? Are there any suggestions? I live in Georgia, btw. I can't stand school because it's pointless and I'm failing because I don't do the work (I read in class instead). I'm more than willing to be an entrepreneur, and by the time I'm eighteen I'll be much more educated than I am now. I can get my GED without school anyway.

I'm planning on learning a few languages, and I'm interested in politics, economics, sociology, and philosophy. Advice? How useful is a college degree these days including the disadvantages of debt compared to self-education? Please cite statistics instead of making bare assertions.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:50:14 PM
At 8/31/2012 5:47:06 PM, MouthWash wrote:
How would I have a career if I drop out of high school? Are there any suggestions? I live in Georgia, btw. I can't stand school because it's pointless and I'm failing because I don't do the work (I read in class instead). I'm more than willing to be an entrepreneur, and by the time I'm eighteen I'll be much more educated than I am now. I can get my GED without school anyway.

I'm planning on learning a few languages, and I'm interested in politics, economics, sociology, and philosophy. Advice? How useful is a college degree these days including the disadvantages of debt compared to self-education? Please cite statistics instead of making bare assertions.

Free lance journalism? That's what I'd do if I didn't think I have a better shot at being a civil engineer and writing on the side.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:52:14 PM
Oh, forgot to add I'm very literate. I read extremely well and can write effectively. Used to write fiction.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:54:09 PM
In that case I restate my suggestion as a STRONG suggestion. I write fiction and non-fiction, and being able to do one certainly helps to do the other.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:06:46 PM
As I said, I don't want bare assertions. Could you please explain why that is such a good option?
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:17:45 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:06:46 PM, MouthWash wrote:
As I said, I don't want bare assertions. Could you please explain why that is such a good option?

Such a professional allows a lot of flexibility, involves as many diverse locations from which to operate as you please (you can get a chance to live in different countries, write about their cultures, learn languages), and would involve politics to whatever extent you wish to write about politics. It's essentially a blank slate type of job suggestion. You can make of it what you want, and it can lead you in whatever direction you want to go.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:19:04 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:17:45 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 6:06:46 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Such a professional allows a lot of flexibility, involves as many diverse locations from which to operate as you please (you can get a chance to live in different countries, write about their cultures, learn languages), and would involve politics to whatever extent you wish to write about politics. It's essentially a blank slate type of job suggestion. You can make of it what you want, and it can lead you in whatever direction you want to go.

That also includes writing about economics and/or philosophy.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:19:41 PM
I strongly suggest you rethink dropping out, cause I can guaranteed you will regret it later.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:22:41 PM
I don't know why any sane person would drop out of HS in 2012. Maybe 50-60 years ago it was possible to succeed but now it's just stupid. Stop bullshitting and focus. You're not doing yourself any favors.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:24:06 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:19:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I strongly suggest you rethink dropping out, cause I can guaranteed you will regret it later.

This.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:29:23 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:22:41 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I don't know why any sane person would drop out of HS in 2012. Maybe 50-60 years ago it was possible to succeed but now it's just stupid. Stop bullshitting and focus. You're not doing yourself any favors.

Oh, I'm not doing this pointless BS anymore, I can guarantee you that. I'm not doing myself any favors by wasting my talents and curiosity. I still live with my parents so by getting job I'll be able to save massive amounts of money while college students graduate with massive debt.

Doing high school is not an option for me. Don't encourage me to because you'll be wasting your time.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:32:21 PM
And you'll never get a good job, cause you never even passed high school. That will look deplorable on an application. No matter how much you delude yourself about your "talents", your NEVER gonna succeed going that route.

Don't waste your talents on youthful boredom, with things you think are unimportant.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:34:35 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:32:21 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And you'll never get a good job, cause you never even passed high school. That will look deplorable on an application. No matter how much you delude yourself about your "talents", your NEVER gonna succeed going that route.

Don't waste your talents on youthful boredom, with things you think are unimportant.

What do you mean, "never get a good job?" I can certainly get an early job without even a GED. Try reading the OP before posting you little opinions next time, ok?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:35:55 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:34:35 PM, MouthWash wrote:

What do you mean, "never get a good job?" I can certainly get an early job without even a GED. Try reading the OP before posting you little opinions next time, ok?

Yeah, maybe an early job, but a job that's gonna be a career?

A job you would want 30+ years from now? No.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:37:01 PM

This. It doesnt matter how talented you are, it matters if you went through the system in the way they want you're screwed. I know, I can't fathom how sitting in a building 8 hours doing busy work makes you a good worker, but since when is life fair/makes sense?

Drop out if you want to be a failure.

Nonetheless I wish you luck if you do, and would love for you to prove my prediction wrong
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:39:24 PM

$20 says he does none of this sh1t and just ends of working at mcdonalds or other crappy job.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:40:11 PM
Any further posts from anyone recommending school or anything remotely similar will be ignored. THE END. I'm NOT doing this with people.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:41:22 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:39:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:

$20 says he does none of this sh1t and just ends of working at mcdonalds or other crappy job.

Lol... you should have seen me a year ago. I think I can self-educate myself fine.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:41:46 PM
A college degree is useful in the sense that you NEED it to get a good job. End of discussion. The employer will just laugh at your resume if it doesn't have a degree on it.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:42:01 PM
Employers don't care If someone is a "self-learned" person. Most degrees are actually completely useless. Its the signal that comes along with a degree.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:44:40 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:41:22 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/31/2012 6:39:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Lol... you should have seen me a year ago. I think I can self-educate myself fine.

a) Your going to have to support yourself financially and get yourself a job. That means your working 40+ hours. Would you even have the time, energy or motivation.

b) Describe "you should have seen me a year ago". If you could've really self-educate yourself, then why are you failing your classes?
Open borders debate:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:49:56 PM
Mouthwash, if you don't have the diligence and concentration to succeed in school, what makes you think you'll succeed anywhere else? High school work is probably the easiest work you'll ever have from here and on. Get your priorities straight and don't become a statistic. No one is going to hold your hand when your immature decisions lead you to failure.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:51:29 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:44:59 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

http://www.bls.gov...

Yeah, the high unemployment rates among high school dropouts doesn't mean a thing.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net...
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:51:44 PM
I'm not American, but similar things apply, plus there's facts about America :

http://www.dosomething.org... (for instance -Recent dropouts will earn $200,000 less than high school graduates, and over $800,000 less than college graduates, in their lives)
http://www.all4ed.org... (for instance, see pg. 3 - Over the course of his or her lifetime, a high school dropout earns, on average, about $260,000 less than a high school graduate)

I could go on - those are from the quickest google search.

Look, the education and degree isn't 100% important for what it teaches, but for what in indicates. Also, you want to be an entrepreneur right? Fine. How are you going to obtain the capital to start a business? You'll likely need a bank loan. You'll have greater difficulty getting that if you can't hold a solid job (which you need good marks for) .

You might not like school or not value what you learn, but at least try and achieve decent results. It's not hard to be passing social science exams without much effort at all, especially when much of it should be stuff you already know if you're well read. Get decent results, obtain capital and then maybe start your own job using your knowledge. Also, reading in a classroom atmosphere can be difficult to do (I've tried a bit) .

If you actually can educate yourself that's great. However, at least on the side get decent marks as a backstop. You will regret not using your school years.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:54:36 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:29:23 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/31/2012 6:22:41 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Oh, I'm not doing this pointless BS anymore, I can guarantee you that. I'm not doing myself any favors by wasting my talents and curiosity. I still live with my parents so by getting job I'll be able to save massive amounts of money while college students graduate with massive debt.

Doing high school is not an option for me. Don't encourage me to because you'll be wasting your time.

I don't know why you wouldn't do HS. I've been through it, and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that bad. I just don't understand the mentality. You can gripe about it but you need the education. I don't entirely know what a GED entails but you won't get any good jobs without a HS degree. If you want to be an entrepreneur you need start up capital.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 7:02:35 PM
Question: if you want to get your GED anyway, why don't you just stay in school and get the diploma? I mean it'll only be for a couple more years.

Let's be honest, success is completely subjective, someone can be a homeless beggar and still feel their lives are successful. People take vows of poverty and still feel their lives are successful. Money is not everything. But, if money is what you connect success to, you are going to at least need a highschool degree in this day and age. College is different altogether. If all you are concerned about is debt and money, go to community college (they are much cheaper), do well, and get an associates degree. Maybe even transition to a regular 4 year program after (on a scholarship if you do well enough...)

Highschool may seem pointless, but if you honestly want monetary success, it is necessary. You are not really going to see many people argue against this.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 7:05:08 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:19:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:

This 100%.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 7:09:16 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:44:40 PM, darkkermit wrote:
b) Describe "you should have seen me a year ago". If you could've really self-educate yourself, then why are you failing your classes?

I'm not really worried about my grades since I'm leaving school. Most of the time I simply blow off assignments, and when I get lunch detention to finish them I give them all of the wrong answers.

A year ago I was a communist. I thought it was "fairer." A year ago I had no conception of philosophy or rhetoric. I hardly knew any history other than the school's heavily biased version of American history (didn't know what Rome was). I didn't know any geography and confused the Mediterranean with some other ocean. I didn't understand politics and I didn't even have a basic conception of what Republicans or Democrats believed. I didn't understand what Dunbar's number was; I didn't know why prices rose or fell; I didn't know Hebrew yet; I couldn't even write well.

And it's become much harder to learn recently. I'm tired and I can't focus on what I read. I wake up every day to come home from school and have a few hours going on the computer before the process repeats itself. School is destroying me mentally, physically and intellectually and I refuse to hurt myself any longer.

I don't care if I fail. I'd rather be dirt poor but know than be successful and ignorant.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 7:09:50 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:51:29 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/31/2012 6:44:59 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Yeah, the high unemployment rates among high school dropouts doesn't mean a thing.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net...

http://www.census.gov...

Statistics can't be taken for granted, and all the statistics point to having better monetary success (in other words, what TheBomb said) if you at least graduate from High School. Report from the census bureau backs me up.