Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Facebook is ridiculous!

InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 2:46:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have been dealing with a problem there for awhile now with being subjected to stalking and sexual harassment so just deactivated(I know, considering my history with this site people here will probably laugh in my face but this is serious).

Anyway, because of this problem I have tried to create alternate accounts where I can add only the people I actually want to interact with. However, of course FB got all butthurt and deleted these accounts since they're "not real". Now they're asking for two pieces of government issued ID if I want them reactivated. This is an internet site ffs and sorry I don't want to use my real full name because of people exactly like those I described right at the beginning!

I just feel that in order to use facebook one is essentially sacrificing any sensation of privacy and I think that is ridiculous. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are correct on this one, that it's becoming a sort of government watch list. :/

/end rant
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 2:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Burn Facebook down.

With lemons.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
MountainDEWDjv
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:22:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Facebook is just a waste of space. It honestly is a great way for authorities to keep tabs on people and they just lap it up... posting their every move. FFS What ever happened to the old style forums and message boards??
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:24:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 3:22:57 PM, MountainDEWDjv wrote:
FFS What ever happened to the old style forums and message boards??

They were safer and more private too.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:27:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Purge your friends list, change your privacy settings, and block people.

If you care, that is.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:32:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 3:27:47 PM, Korashk wrote:
Purge your friends list, change your privacy settings, and block people.

If you care, that is.

Blocking isn't really something that'll solve this issue unless there was a way to mass block the majority of the site. Idk, it's becoming a pretty serious issue that I just don't feel comfortable there, all because I have a vagina.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:20:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 3:22:57 PM, MountainDEWDjv wrote:
Facebook is just a waste of space. It honestly is a great way for authorities to keep tabs on people and they just lap it up... posting their every move. FFS What ever happened to the old style forums and message boards??

For the most part I agree (I've never been on actually, so I guess I wouldn't know)

The funny thing is that economists are FASCINATED by facebook. If you ever look at anything to do with the stock market you'll see nothing but "Facebook is booming OMG FACEBOOK IS DA FUTURE!!!!!!!" And then recently "OMG FACEBOOK IS CRASHING BECAUSE ON OF IT'S BOARD MEMBERS SCREWED IT OVER WE'RE ALL DOOMED" It's pretty hilarious, considering that the people who actually use facebook don't give a sh!t what's going on with it's stocks.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:28:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm considering looking into Diaspora for privacy reasons, too (https://joindiaspora.com...). They have very strong emphasis on privacy and the site's software is open source.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:31:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 4:28:16 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I'm considering looking into Diaspora for privacy reasons, too (https://joindiaspora.com...). They have very strong emphasis on privacy and the site's software is open source.

I think I actually made an account on there once, but I didn't really use it much so forgot the login info. Maybe I can find it in my email somewhere.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:32:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 4:31:28 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Honestly... I'm glad that this is the only social site that I'm on.

Why do you want to be on Facebook, anyway?

Because I also met some amazing people I can't contact any other way except for on facebook.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:39:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 4:32:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/2/2012 4:31:28 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Honestly... I'm glad that this is the only social site that I'm on.

Why do you want to be on Facebook, anyway?

Because I also met some amazing people I can't contact any other way except for on facebook.

I was going to say that you should leave FB altogether... there goes my plan.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 5:01:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 4:32:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/2/2012 4:31:28 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Honestly... I'm glad that this is the only social site that I'm on.

Why do you want to be on Facebook, anyway?

Because I also met some amazing people I can't contact any other way except for on facebook.

From Wikipedia: "A key part of the Diaspora software design concept is that it should act as a "social aggregator", allowing posts to be easily imported from Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter."

Not sure if this has been made a reality, though.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 5:28:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Read: http://www.cracked.com...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 1:04:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well I did end up going back for certain people I can't talk to anywhere else, but I hid all pictures of myself. I that what it takes to stop harassment then...bring it!
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 1:11:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 1:04:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I did end up going back for certain people I can't talk to anywhere else, but I hid all pictures of myself. I that what it takes to stop harassment then...bring it!

Sucks for girls.... :(
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 1:15:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 1:11:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:04:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I did end up going back for certain people I can't talk to anywhere else, but I hid all pictures of myself. I that what it takes to stop harassment then...bring it!

Sucks for girls.... :(

It so does and then on some discussion about virginity on a public fan page I made the mistake of revealing I'm a 21 year old virgin. D:
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 1:31:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 1:15:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:11:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:04:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I did end up going back for certain people I can't talk to anywhere else, but I hid all pictures of myself. I that what it takes to stop harassment then...bring it!

Sucks for girls.... :(

It so does and then on some discussion about virginity on a public fan page I made the mistake of revealing I'm a 21 year old virgin. D:

Oh God.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 1:39:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 1:31:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:15:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:11:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:04:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I did end up going back for certain people I can't talk to anywhere else, but I hid all pictures of myself. I that what it takes to stop harassment then...bring it!

Sucks for girls.... :(

It so does and then on some discussion about virginity on a public fan page I made the mistake of revealing I'm a 21 year old virgin. D:

Oh God.

Yea, that's when things started to get really bad. I was being harassed before but then with that it got much worse.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 2:01:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I support your decision to deactivate FB 100%. I left it and am not looking back. I tip my hat to you. FB doesn't do any good for anybody. Sure, this guy talks to old friends, sure, this girl keeps in touch with distant family... boloney. If you gave that much of a sh!t about them you'd PICK UP THE DAMNED PHONE and call them. I did nothing on FB but create wedges between me and others. Oh and look at memes. People who defend FB are fooling themselves.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:51:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 3:32:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/2/2012 3:27:47 PM, Korashk wrote:
Purge your friends list, change your privacy settings, and block people.

If you care, that is.

Blocking isn't really something that'll solve this issue unless there was a way to mass block the majority of the site. Idk, it's becoming a pretty serious issue that I just don't feel comfortable there, all because I have a vagina.

I know the feeling.
I have "contracted," if you will, a lot of stalkers and other sexually desperate creeps throughout my years on Facebook. Most of them found me on the pages of bands I like (especially Marilyn Manson's page; I'm not sure what the deal is there) and I've blocked most of them individually.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:54:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My issue is that I've met so many people on Facebook that I want to keep in touch with. Arguing on Facebook pages is addicting and ridiculously fun, and a lot of the people I know from Facebook don't have any other way of communicating with me.

So I really can't cut them off, as much as I want to be rid of the government's tracking. Google's bad enough; Facebook just makes it easier for them.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:59:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Make your Facebook profile and pictures private.
2. Only add people you trust.
3. The CIA does track facebook, but they already track ALL of your Internet usage and have created profiles of you based on your activity. They could really care less about you being a 21 year old virgin and all your little chit chat with other people.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
inferno
Posts: 10,660
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:04:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/2/2012 2:46:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been dealing with a problem there for awhile now with being subjected to stalking and sexual harassment so just deactivated(I know, considering my history with this site people here will probably laugh in my face but this is serious).

Anyway, because of this problem I have tried to create alternate accounts where I can add only the people I actually want to interact with. However, of course FB got all butthurt and deleted these accounts since they're "not real". Now they're asking for two pieces of government issued ID if I want them reactivated. This is an internet site ffs and sorry I don't want to use my real full name because of people exactly like those I described right at the beginning!

I just feel that in order to use facebook one is essentially sacrificing any sensation of privacy and I think that is ridiculous. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are correct on this one, that it's becoming a sort of government watch list. :/

/end rant

This thread is ridiculous. Who cares about Facebook other than you.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:05:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 10:59:01 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
1. Make your Facebook profile and pictures private.
2. Only add people you trust.
3. The CIA does track facebook, but they already track ALL of your Internet usage and have created profiles of you based on your activity. They could really care less about you being a 21 year old virgin and all your little chit chat with other people.

I really wouldn't doubt they're tracking people, especially me with some of the discussion groups I'm in and such.