Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Importance of Marriage

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:42:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm posting this in the Personal section because it reflects an issue that is personal and important to me: gay marriage. I know the popular sentiment seems to be that social issues aren't important, because all that matters is taxes are bad... or something. So rather than use facts and logic for the millionth time to remind everyone that there is not one credible argument against legalizing gay marriage whatsoever (everyone getting a civil union doesn't count), I wanted to do the opposite of what is usually encouraged on DDO and play into the emotional aspect of how bigoted policy hurts and harms innocent people in our society. If you don't support gay marriage, don't get one... but don't impose your subjective morals onto others, and threaten their way of life, happiness, assets, resources, etc. just because you apparently feel threatened by other people's relationships.

So what do you all think of this video? I pretty much lost it 8-9 minutes in.
President of DDO
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 9:01:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't blame you for resorting to emotion to convince people, because emotion is what this entire argument is about.

But on the bright side, this argument will just be another chapter in the history books soon. Gay rights is a civil rights movement no different from the movement to allow interracial marriages. And for all the people on DDO who are against Gay Marriage and give the bullsh!t reason "Well government shouldn't be involved in marriage anyway so I'm opposed to it" don't you understand that the issue is that Gay Marriage shouldn't be outlawed by the government?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 9:02:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 9:01:34 AM, Frederick53 wrote:
I don't blame you for resorting to emotion to convince people, because emotion is what this entire argument is about.

But on the bright side, this argument will just be another chapter in the history books soon. Gay rights is a civil rights movement no different from the movement to allow interracial marriages. And for all the people on DDO who are against Gay Marriage and give the bullsh!t reason "Well government shouldn't be involved in marriage anyway so I'm opposed to it" don't you understand that the issue is that Gay Marriage shouldn't be outlawed by the state government?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 10:19:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Often times an issue can become devalued when the emotional aspect of it is ignored. If we talk about Gay marriage without taking into account the pain and suffering that will result from banning it, then we will not be properly discussing it.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 10:30:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

That's very hypocritical of you. Every single debate has consequences on humans- not only the gay marriage debate. People don't invoke emotions (at least on here) when they are talking about the minimum wage, labour unions, or various wars of overseas. Although the potentiality for positive results if eliminated can be huge, it's erroneous (by your logic) to not take into account the real people that might be somehow negatively effect by the process. If you are going to say that issues need to deal with emotionally, then at least be logically consistent.

As for the OP: It's a nice story but does little more than invoke a slight emotional response.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 12:05:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:30:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

That's very hypocritical of you. Every single debate has consequences on humans- not only the gay marriage debate. People don't invoke emotions (at least on here) when they are talking about the minimum wage, labour unions, or various wars of overseas. Although the potentiality for positive results if eliminated can be huge, it's erroneous (by your logic) to not take into account the real people that might be somehow negatively effect by the process. If you are going to say that issues need to deal with emotionally, then at least be logically consistent.

As for the OP: It's a nice story but does little more than invoke a slight emotional response.

Oh no, you caught me. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

To be honest, I have a lot of personal investment in the issue--of course I'm going to be hypocritical. I also am basically fueled and driven by emotion for almost anything--it's in my own nature. My personality is ironic when looking that I am an RL, online, live, vlive, etc. debater. However, I am versed in logic. I know I'm not being consistent. I could make a case justifying it, but I'd rather not.

Basically, I see your point. I get that I'm being hypocritical. I get that my point is probably illogical when one extends it out to a certain degree.

But honestly: I don't care.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 12:19:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I'm for making a new word for Same-sex marriage.

Same benefits, rights, ect. just different name.

But overall, not opposed to it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 12:38:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 12:05:43 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:30:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

That's very hypocritical of you. Every single debate has consequences on humans- not only the gay marriage debate. People don't invoke emotions (at least on here) when they are talking about the minimum wage, labour unions, or various wars of overseas. Although the potentiality for positive results if eliminated can be huge, it's erroneous (by your logic) to not take into account the real people that might be somehow negatively effect by the process. If you are going to say that issues need to deal with emotionally, then at least be logically consistent.

As for the OP: It's a nice story but does little more than invoke a slight emotional response.

Oh no, you caught me. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

To be honest, I have a lot of personal investment in the issue--of course I'm going to be hypocritical. I also am basically fueled and driven by emotion for almost anything--it's in my own nature. My personality is ironic when looking that I am an RL, online, live, vlive, etc. debater. However, I am versed in logic. I know I'm not being consistent. I could make a case justifying it, but I'd rather not.

Basically, I see your point. I get that I'm being hypocritical. I get that my point is probably illogical when one extends it out to a certain degree.

But honestly: I don't care.

Just clearing something up. :)
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:17:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 8:42:57 AM, Danielle wrote:


I'm posting this in the Personal section because it reflects an issue that is personal and important to me: gay marriage. I know the popular sentiment seems to be that social issues aren't important, because all that matters is taxes are bad... or something. So rather than use facts and logic for the millionth time to remind everyone that there is not one credible argument against legalizing gay marriage whatsoever (everyone getting a civil union doesn't count), I wanted to do the opposite of what is usually encouraged on DDO and play into the emotional aspect of how bigoted policy hurts and harms innocent people in our society. If you don't support gay marriage, don't get one... but don't impose your subjective morals onto others, and threaten their way of life, happiness, assets, resources, etc. just because you apparently feel threatened by other people's relationships.

So what do you all think of this video? I pretty much lost it 8-9 minutes in.

Boo-hoo!

Therefore, legalize SSM.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 2:15:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 12:19:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, I'm for making a new word for Same-sex marriage.

Same benefits, rights, ect. just different name.

But overall, not opposed to it.

Why the squirmishness with allowing gay couples to use the word? I have to admit it makes next to no sense to me.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 2:54:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 8:42:57 AM, Danielle wrote:


I'm posting this in the Personal section because it reflects an issue that is personal and important to me: gay marriage. I know the popular sentiment seems to be that social issues aren't important, because all that matters is taxes are bad... or something. So rather than use facts and logic for the millionth time to remind everyone that there is not one credible argument against legalizing gay marriage whatsoever (everyone getting a civil union doesn't count), I wanted to do the opposite of what is usually encouraged on DDO and play into the emotional aspect of how bigoted policy hurts and harms innocent people in our society. If you don't support gay marriage, don't get one... but don't impose your subjective morals onto others, and threaten their way of life, happiness, assets, resources, etc. just because you apparently feel threatened by other people's relationships.

So what do you all think of this video? I pretty much lost it 8-9 minutes in.

The issue for me is not making gay marriage legal due to there not currently being a law, is that I do not view marriage, gay or straight, as a "right". That being said, there being a law AGAINST gay marriage would be equally as bad. if you read the constitution, there is no "marriage right" amendment like people misinterpret the 14th amendment to be. It talks about how the government shall not put into place a law denying someone the right to life, liberty and property. A law DENYING anyone's marriage would be wrong as would a law saying people must oversee marriage.

The gay population needs to understand that they are no different from anyone else. We all bleed the same color blood. The gay population is in no way shape or form entitled to special treatment

There are a few things regarding the video I'd like to address. One, this is simply nothing more than gay propaganda. Nothing more, nothing less. Two I believe that there are certain things that come along with being married that should apply to any relationship. Three there are things that come with a marriage that involve money, therefore since gays want these rights, it totally nullifies the meaning of marriage. If you want to be married for financial reasons, you are getting married for the wrong reasons. Four the saddest thing about the video was the music being played. Nothing sad about the video as it was propaganda.

There is no logic at all to support a law forcing people to oversee gay marriages. Just like there is no law supporting a ban on gay marriage.

In summation, there are policies that need to be changed, but no laws that need to be made. There is a difference.
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 2:57:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

How is a website called debate.org not an arena for ideas, debate and intellect?
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 3:02:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 2:15:25 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/3/2012 12:19:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, I'm for making a new word for Same-sex marriage.

Same benefits, rights, ect. just different name.

But overall, not opposed to it.

Why the squirmishness with allowing gay couples to use the word? I have to admit it makes next to no sense to me.

You have a point with people's distaste for using the word, however as I have stated before it is not about the use of the word. It is about the benefits that come with the word. If you want to adopt, go ahead, i see no problem for that. If you want to own a house togehter, go ahead, no problem. Want to be able to get tax breaks and other financial gains? WHOA! STOP RIGHT THERE! if you are wanting to be married for that reason, you dont need to be married in the first place
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 3:10:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 3:02:00 PM, kingcripple wrote:
Want to be able to get tax breaks and other financial gains? WHOA! STOP RIGHT THERE! if you are wanting to be married for that reason, you dont need to be married in the first place

And this is inherent to gay marriages and gay marriages exclusively... how? I agree with what you're saying (wtf kind of happy marriage is that?!) but it's complete bullcrap of you to say it in regards to this topic.
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 3:29:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 3:10:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 9/4/2012 3:02:00 PM, kingcripple wrote:
Want to be able to get tax breaks and other financial gains? WHOA! STOP RIGHT THERE! if you are wanting to be married for that reason, you dont need to be married in the first place

And this is inherent to gay marriages and gay marriages exclusively... how? I agree with what you're saying (wtf kind of happy marriage is that?!) but it's complete bullcrap of you to say it in regards to this topic.

I never said it was. Often people don't realize that straight couples sometimes do the same thing. It slipped my mind to mention it. There are straight couples who get married for that purpose alone, but I don't think its ALL straight couples, or even the majority. However it is the whole of gay couples (meaning ALL) who do only want to be married for the financial benefits. Studies show (and if I wasn't so concerned with seeing your or anyone else's reply I'd provide links) that gay people are often times more promiscuous that straight people. Please note that I said "often" so you don't try to pigeonhole me again. This is NOT a gay exclusive behavior. Being promiscous would not be any kind of happy marriage at all if one of those participants in the marriage were promiscous. Even if both were.

Let's get back to my point about gays wanting to be married for financial reasons. The video even stated that there was no way for the living boyfriend to collect any money from the dead boyfriend after his death. They didn't write out wills. They should have. This is a mistake on their part. Never mind that they are both probably alive because this was clearly propaganda. They should've written out wills.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 4:25:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 11:17:24 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 9/3/2012 8:42:57 AM, Danielle wrote:


I'm posting this in the Personal section because it reflects an issue that is personal and important to me: gay marriage. I know the popular sentiment seems to be that social issues aren't important, because all that matters is taxes are bad... or something. So rather than use facts and logic for the millionth time to remind everyone that there is not one credible argument against legalizing gay marriage whatsoever (everyone getting a civil union doesn't count), I wanted to do the opposite of what is usually encouraged on DDO and play into the emotional aspect of how bigoted policy hurts and harms innocent people in our society. If you don't support gay marriage, don't get one... but don't impose your subjective morals onto others, and threaten their way of life, happiness, assets, resources, etc. just because you apparently feel threatened by other people's relationships.

So what do you all think of this video? I pretty much lost it 8-9 minutes in.

Boo-hoo!

Therefore, legalize SSM.

Cool story bro. Tell it again, when you aren't allowed to see your spouse in the hospital.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 4:27:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 2:54:31 PM, kingcripple wrote:
At 9/3/2012 8:42:57 AM, Danielle wrote:


I'm posting this in the Personal section because it reflects an issue that is personal and important to me: gay marriage. I know the popular sentiment seems to be that social issues aren't important, because all that matters is taxes are bad... or something. So rather than use facts and logic for the millionth time to remind everyone that there is not one credible argument against legalizing gay marriage whatsoever (everyone getting a civil union doesn't count), I wanted to do the opposite of what is usually encouraged on DDO and play into the emotional aspect of how bigoted policy hurts and harms innocent people in our society. If you don't support gay marriage, don't get one... but don't impose your subjective morals onto others, and threaten their way of life, happiness, assets, resources, etc. just because you apparently feel threatened by other people's relationships.

So what do you all think of this video? I pretty much lost it 8-9 minutes in.

The issue for me is not making gay marriage legal due to there not currently being a law, is that I do not view marriage, gay or straight, as a "right". That being said, there being a law AGAINST gay marriage would be equally as bad. if you read the constitution, there is no "marriage right" amendment like people misinterpret the 14th amendment to be. It talks about how the government shall not put into place a law denying someone the right to life, liberty and property. A law DENYING anyone's marriage would be wrong as would a law saying people must oversee marriage.

The gay population needs to understand that they are no different from anyone else. We all bleed the same color blood. The gay population is in no way shape or form entitled to special treatment

There are a few things regarding the video I'd like to address. One, this is simply nothing more than gay propaganda. Nothing more, nothing less. Two I believe that there are certain things that come along with being married that should apply to any relationship. Three there are things that come with a marriage that involve money, therefore since gays want these rights, it totally nullifies the meaning of marriage. If you want to be married for financial reasons, you are getting married for the wrong reasons. Four the saddest thing about the video was the music being played. Nothing sad about the video as it was propaganda.

There is no logic at all to support a law forcing people to oversee gay marriages. Just like there is no law supporting a ban on gay marriage.

In summation, there are policies that need to be changed, but no laws that need to be made. There is a difference.

The fvck are you even prattling on about?

Matter of curiosity: do you feel those rights/privileges should NOT be given to opposite sex marriages?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 4:28:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 2:57:32 PM, kingcripple wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

How is a website called debate.org not an arena for ideas, debate and intellect?

I'm saying the issue of gay marriage is not an arena...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 4:29:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 3:29:54 PM, kingcripple wrote:
At 9/4/2012 3:10:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 9/4/2012 3:02:00 PM, kingcripple wrote:
Want to be able to get tax breaks and other financial gains? WHOA! STOP RIGHT THERE! if you are wanting to be married for that reason, you dont need to be married in the first place

And this is inherent to gay marriages and gay marriages exclusively... how? I agree with what you're saying (wtf kind of happy marriage is that?!) but it's complete bullcrap of you to say it in regards to this topic.

I never said it was. Often people don't realize that straight couples sometimes do the same thing. It slipped my mind to mention it. There are straight couples who get married for that purpose alone, but I don't think its ALL straight couples, or even the majority. However it is the whole of gay couples (meaning ALL) who do only want to be married for the financial benefits. Studies show (and if I wasn't so concerned with seeing your or anyone else's reply I'd provide links) that gay people are often times more promiscuous that straight people. Please note that I said "often" so you don't try to pigeonhole me again. This is NOT a gay exclusive behavior. Being promiscous would not be any kind of happy marriage at all if one of those participants in the marriage were promiscous. Even if both were.

Let's get back to my point about gays wanting to be married for financial reasons. The video even stated that there was no way for the living boyfriend to collect any money from the dead boyfriend after his death. They didn't write out wills. They should have. This is a mistake on their part. Never mind that they are both probably alive because this was clearly propaganda. They should've written out wills.

You do know those issues are not all financial, right? For instance, hospital invitation rights, rights to handle the body/funeral services as next of kin, rights to even SEE your dead spouse.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:24:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
One of my best friends is a lesbian so this kind of personally affects me too indirectly so I can totally see where you're coming from. It's just not worth it to sacrifice people's happiness to make a group of crazies happy. Besides, I've never heard a convincing argument against gay marriage and all of them are religious(and of course not everybody follows the same religion). You've pretty much said it: Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one!
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:28:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 4:27:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/4/2012 2:54:31 PM, kingcripple wrote:
At 9/3/2012 8:42:57 AM, Danielle wrote:


I'm posting this in the Personal section because it reflects an issue that is personal and important to me: gay marriage. I know the popular sentiment seems to be that social issues aren't important, because all that matters is taxes are bad... or something. So rather than use facts and logic for the millionth time to remind everyone that there is not one credible argument against legalizing gay marriage whatsoever (everyone getting a civil union doesn't count), I wanted to do the opposite of what is usually encouraged on DDO and play into the emotional aspect of how bigoted policy hurts and harms innocent people in our society. If you don't support gay marriage, don't get one... but don't impose your subjective morals onto others, and threaten their way of life, happiness, assets, resources, etc. just because you apparently feel threatened by other people's relationships.

So what do you all think of this video? I pretty much lost it 8-9 minutes in.

The issue for me is not making gay marriage legal due to there not currently being a law, is that I do not view marriage, gay or straight, as a "right". That being said, there being a law AGAINST gay marriage would be equally as bad. if you read the constitution, there is no "marriage right" amendment like people misinterpret the 14th amendment to be. It talks about how the government shall not put into place a law denying someone the right to life, liberty and property. A law DENYING anyone's marriage would be wrong as would a law saying people must oversee marriage.

The gay population needs to understand that they are no different from anyone else. We all bleed the same color blood. The gay population is in no way shape or form entitled to special treatment

There are a few things regarding the video I'd like to address. One, this is simply nothing more than gay propaganda. Nothing more, nothing less. Two I believe that there are certain things that come along with being married that should apply to any relationship. Three there are things that come with a marriage that involve money, therefore since gays want these rights, it totally nullifies the meaning of marriage. If you want to be married for financial reasons, you are getting married for the wrong reasons. Four the saddest thing about the video was the music being played. Nothing sad about the video as it was propaganda.

There is no logic at all to support a law forcing people to oversee gay marriages. Just like there is no law supporting a ban on gay marriage.

In summation, there are policies that need to be changed, but no laws that need to be made. There is a difference.

The fvck are you even prattling on about?

Matter of curiosity: do you feel those rights/privileges should NOT be given to opposite sex marriages?

There is a percentage of straight couples who get married soley for those rights, I will admit that. What other reason could gays have for marrying? Wasn't Prop 8 repealed? Prop 8 isn't even a federal law. I'm sure a gay couple could find someone to oversee their marriage should that person want to.
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:30:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 4:28:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/4/2012 2:57:32 PM, kingcripple wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

How is a website called debate.org not an arena for ideas, debate and intellect?

I'm saying the issue of gay marriage is not an arena...

Silly boy. This is an arena to debate gay marriage. your argument makes little sense.
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:35:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 4:29:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/4/2012 3:29:54 PM, kingcripple wrote:
At 9/4/2012 3:10:39 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 9/4/2012 3:02:00 PM, kingcripple wrote:
Want to be able to get tax breaks and other financial gains? WHOA! STOP RIGHT THERE! if you are wanting to be married for that reason, you dont need to be married in the first place

And this is inherent to gay marriages and gay marriages exclusively... how? I agree with what you're saying (wtf kind of happy marriage is that?!) but it's complete bullcrap of you to say it in regards to this topic.

I never said it was. Often people don't realize that straight couples sometimes do the same thing. It slipped my mind to mention it. There are straight couples who get married for that purpose alone, but I don't think its ALL straight couples, or even the majority. However it is the whole of gay couples (meaning ALL) who do only want to be married for the financial benefits. Studies show (and if I wasn't so concerned with seeing your or anyone else's reply I'd provide links) that gay people are often times more promiscuous that straight people. Please note that I said "often" so you don't try to pigeonhole me again. This is NOT a gay exclusive behavior. Being promiscous would not be any kind of happy marriage at all if one of those participants in the marriage were promiscous. Even if both were.

Let's get back to my point about gays wanting to be married for financial reasons. The video even stated that there was no way for the living boyfriend to collect any money from the dead boyfriend after his death. They didn't write out wills. They should have. This is a mistake on their part. Never mind that they are both probably alive because this was clearly propaganda. They should've written out wills.

You do know those issues are not all financial, right? For instance, hospital invitation rights, rights to handle the body/funeral services as next of kin, rights to even SEE your dead spouse.

I believe I was pretty clear in my admission that not all the marriage rights are not financial. You're an angry kid arent you?
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 6:12:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/4/2012 5:24:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Besides, I've never heard a convincing argument against gay marriage and all of them are religious(and of course not everybody follows the same religion).

While I agree that using a religious reason to be against gay marriage, is quite hateful, you have to admit each of these religions (since not everybody follows the same religion) did pretty bluntly define what a marriage is. Consequently, I have never heard a convincing argument as to what marriage should be defined as and why it should be defined that way
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:05:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Marriage uniformly is a stupid concept. The thought of being entangled in a bonding legal contract with another human being, and by all means having all the disadvantages in light of the relative few benefits that come with it. The consequences that ensue from having such a contract coming to an abrupt end completely outweigh any possible benefit. Every single argument I'm seen that was pro-marriage or pro-family values have been completely religious in nature, so thus they are folly.

As for SSM, let the gays suffer in the tyranny of marriage along with the heterosexuals.
turn down for h'what
jedipengiun
Posts: 169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:11:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:18:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:19:47 AM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Often times an issue can become devalued when the emotional aspect of it is ignored. If we talk about Gay marriage without taking into account the pain and suffering that will result from banning it, then we will not be properly discussing it.

You can't ban that which never existed in the first place
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:21:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/3/2012 10:21:20 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2012 10:10:44 AM, sadolite wrote:
Emotion has no place in the arena of ideas, debate and intellect.

Except this isn't the arena of ideas, debate, intellect.

These are real people's real lives.

Oh yes, I know, "appeal to emotion, hurr durr." But the fact is that we are dealing with people, their emotions. And a lot of what we do hurts others terribly,on a widespread scale.

And I'm sure none of us are in the business of wanting to hurt others.

I am a man, I see beutiful women everyday of my life and I want to have sex with them all. I wish I could be married to them all. I must supress this "feeling" all day everyday. No one cares about my "feelings"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%