Jump to topic:

My wife is trolling me

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:37:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
She decided that it would be fun to argue that high schools lie to kids (which is true) in order to try to make them work harder. But she decided that she is going to burst all the bubbles for when our daughter goes to school. So we were arguing that it is not a good idea to tell an elementary school kid that "math is pointless, other than basic adding and stuff."

We talked about how lies can be great motivation for the mindless youth, and that tearing those lies down will have a huge negative effect on how much children will actually learn and how it can drop the knowledge of new workers.

Anyway, it came up about how the lower quality workers may result in lower quality products, which can pose safety issues. One example that came up was "do you want dumb people building our bridges?!" (totally the most logically sound argument anyone could come up with) and I'm met with "I could totally build a bridge" (this from someone that did the absolute bare minimum in high school math and was so happy for the D+ that meant she didn't need to take another math class ever again). I don't ever trust her to engineer a sammich for me, let alone a bridge, but when she controls who sleeps in the bed, I can't respond honestly.

So I've concluded that I am sleeping with an internet troll.

What do I do?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 10:43:58 AM
What a coincidence that you go to a massive collection of internet trolls for advice. However, I do have a solution for you.

Burn her house down. With lemons.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 4:45:45 PM
At 9/5/2012 1:37:35 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
She decided that it would be fun to argue that high schools lie to kids (which is true) in order to try to make them work harder. But she decided that she is going to burst all the bubbles for when our daughter goes to school. So we were arguing that it is not a good idea to tell an elementary school kid that "math is pointless, other than basic adding and stuff."

We talked about how lies can be great motivation for the mindless youth, and that tearing those lies down will have a huge negative effect on how much children will actually learn and how it can drop the knowledge of new workers.

Anyway, it came up about how the lower quality workers may result in lower quality products, which can pose safety issues. One example that came up was "do you want dumb people building our bridges?!" (totally the most logically sound argument anyone could come up with) and I'm met with "I could totally build a bridge" (this from someone that did the absolute bare minimum in high school math and was so happy for the D+ that meant she didn't need to take another math class ever again). I don't ever trust her to engineer a sammich for me, let alone a bridge, but when she controls who sleeps in the bed, I can't respond honestly.

What do I do?

There's your problem. ;)
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 4:52:09 PM
At 9/5/2012 1:37:35 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

What do I do?

Kill her.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:36:32 PM
At 9/5/2012 6:33:59 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/5/2012 4:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:

Kill her.

http://25.media.tumblr.com...:

+1
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:41:17 PM
At 9/5/2012 6:36:32 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/5/2012 6:33:59 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/5/2012 4:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:

Kill her.

http://25.media.tumblr.com...:

+1

+9000
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 11:43:40 AM
Why not just tell your kid the truth? Math might be completely pointless to your future career, but there are a lot of careers where math IS important (and they tend to be admirable and well-paid). It would behoove the kid to pursue math to have the option of exploring those careers. It also affects the way your brain works and approaches problem solving and other logical matters. Additionally, math helps in real life situations. I'm taking a finance course right now. Last night was the first class, and on day 1 the teacher handed us some ridiculous math problem like "How long would Sandra have to save at a rate of $500/month with 4% interest and blah blah blah..." I mean, I honestly had no effing idea how to do it. I eventually worked out the answer, but it took me A LOT longer than it had to had I known basic math formulas and concepts.

Of course finance is important at both the professional and personal level. I work in HR and we collaborate with the finance department quite a bit. More importantly, it's imperative to know how to balance a budget, save and invest, so math does have real life applicability. In terms of geometry and whatnot, I wish I had learned philosophy before HS math because I would have found the entire thing a lot more interesting lol. I HOPE I can home-school my kids (if my future partner agrees) specifically to give them a different perspective on learning, including seemingly boring subjects. Math is interesting to me now only because I know a bit more about the concepts behind it, or how some were derived (i.e., Descartes and Cartesian planes - which I didn't give a flying fvck about in HS, and now it fascinates me). So I dunno. Your wife isn't a troll lol. But in short I would try to make the experience positive or find the perks rather than concede irrelevance (it's not even true anyhow).
President of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 11:57:01 AM
At 9/6/2012 11:43:40 AM, Danielle wrote:
Why not just tell your kid the truth? Math might be completely pointless to your future career, but there are a lot of careers where math IS important (and they tend to be admirable and well-paid). It would behoove the kid to pursue math to have the option of exploring those careers. It also affects the way your brain works and approaches problem solving and other logical matters. Additionally, math helps in real life situations. I'm taking a finance course right now. Last night was the first class, and on day 1 the teacher handed us some ridiculous math problem like "How long would Sandra have to save at a rate of $500/month with 4% interest and blah blah blah..." I mean, I honestly had no effing idea how to do it. I eventually worked out the answer, but it took me A LOT longer than it had to had I known basic math formulas and concepts.

Of course finance is important at both the professional and personal level. I work in HR and we collaborate with the finance department quite a bit. More importantly, it's imperative to know how to balance a budget, save and invest, so math does have real life applicability. In terms of geometry and whatnot, I wish I had learned philosophy before HS math because I would have found the entire thing a lot more interesting lol. I HOPE I can home-school my kids (if my future partner agrees) specifically to give them a different perspective on learning, including seemingly boring subjects. Math is interesting to me now only because I know a bit more about the concepts behind it, or how some were derived (i.e., Descartes and Cartesian planes - which I didn't give a flying fvck about in HS, and now it fascinates me). So I dunno. Your wife isn't a troll lol. But in short I would try to make the experience positive or find the perks rather than concede irrelevance (it's not even true anyhow).

Math is tied together with its applications. I don't see how anyone could learn math by itself.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:25:07 PM
Uneducated people are typically the harder and more obedient workers. Think about that before trashing people who construct bridges. As long as there is a good bossman/engineer etc..... Also, bad math consumers keep insurance companies and credit card companies profitable.