Jump to topic:

To people who write articles

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:16:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
... professionally, Does it bother you if your article is cut short/ edited before being put on the site/ magazine?

I find something very degrading about that. Even though I know I shouldn't bother and I have no control over that, but still.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:57:29 AM
It's irritating, but speaking as someone with experience in the area of editing, when it happens it is usually because:

A. Your word count was too high.
B. Someone else's word count was too high, and to keep the pages even they had to cut some other words (assuming this is a print magazine).
C. The editor believed he was cutting extraneous content that was not integral enough to the article to be worth notifying you about (may be a factor of low on time to the issue out).
D. The Editor is a thoughtless prick.

Unless this has been a pattern coming from the same person, my guess is the reason will be closer to A, B, and C than D.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 4:12:17 AM
I guess that's true. Doesn't make it less irritating though. It really takes away the big picture if you cut off the details.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 4:52:59 AM
Most of times it doesn't bother me. Sometimes it actuel make my work better. Sometimes it can totally ruin the point of my article and then it bothers me!

I learned not to use sarcasme or irony in an article that may be cut the hard way -.-'
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 4:56:08 AM
At 9/9/2012 9:16:10 PM, Cermank wrote:
... professionally, Does it bother you if your article is cut short/ edited before being put on the site/ magazine?

On some level it does, but I also know I can be verbose and prone to going down ratholes, plus my writing style is choppy, half the time it flows better after the editor has chopped it up. As they say, deadlines are deadly, and the problem is that I'm never satisfied with what I write, from my POV it's never finished, so I appreciate somebody that can just get it to be done.

I find something very degrading about that. Even though I know I shouldn't bother and I have no control over that, but still.

The only thing more degrading than writing is prostitution, and that's only because the two professions are so closely related.

It helps if you recognize that the writing point of view is wildly different from the reading point of view, it's hard to do, but because of that you need to defer to the authority of the editor as a reader because that's who you write for, the reader.

The only other solution is to take a tip from the master, Hemingway, and drink heavily.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:59:45 PM
It gets insanely annoying when your article is sent back several times. The school paper (yes it is obviously a legit news source) kept insisting that I make formatting changes, and eventually I just told them to to whatever the fvck they wanted to it, as long as something vaguely resembling what I had written showed up in the paper.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:46:58 AM
At 9/10/2012 4:52:59 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
Most of times it doesn't bother me. Sometimes it actuel make my work better. Sometimes it can totally ruin the point of my article and then it bothers me!

I learned not to use sarcasme or irony in an article that may be cut the hard way -.-'

This one is too true. I once wrote an article on the relevance of the president in a parliamentary democracy, and I wrote something to the effect of - " Not to say that the president is completely a lame-duck position, but a position reserved for stamping on approved bills should not be the top-most position in the country".

I was told that I shouldn't have said that a president is a lameduck position, because it is disrespectful.

That was wrong on so many levels >.<