Jump to topic:

Burden of Proof (again)

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:00:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In the past, the general consensus on DDO has been that (with the exception of Geo), atheists believe theists have the BOP and theists believe that the BOP is shared. I've been thinking about this a lot over the past couple of days and I'm starting to question my previous stance (which was that theists have the BOP).

Let's say you and I are standing in an empty room. We both recognize that the room is empty. Neither of us have to convince the other that this room is empty because we both already believe. Conversely, if the room is empty except for a table in the middle, and we both recognize that there is table in the middle of the room, neither of us have to convince the other that there is a table in the middle of the room because we both see it is there.

Now let's imagine that for whatever reason, one of us sees a table in the room and the other doesn't. The one who sees the table believes the other to be blind, but the one who does not see the table believes the other to be mentally ill.

Our society tends to measure things in relation to other people. So if, in a room, 100 people see a table and 1 person doesn't, then that 1 person is said to be blind. If 1 person sees a table and 100 people don't, then that 1 person is said to be mentally ill.

So would whoever has the BOP rely on an initial assumption, ie. the assumption of the majority? What if 50 people see the table and 50 people do not?
yang.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:13:13 PM
At 9/11/2012 10:01:10 AM, tulle wrote:
Fudge. Wrong forum. I'll ask the mods to move it to Religion >.<

BAN HER!
kfc
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:14:10 PM
I've always admitted theists have the BoP. I'm not sure why people deny it. Atheists only have the BoP when advancing certain notions to support their side. Such as if a theist argues a certain form of a fine-tuning argument and the atheist thinks evolution alleviates that problem, he has the burden of proof to prove evolution.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 7:19:24 PM
Atheism is based on a lack of belief, which means that atheists do not have to substantiate any assertions that they make simply because atheism does not make assertions. To ask a person to substantiate assertions that doesn't make assertions is ludicrous. And yes, I asserted a lot of assertions in the assertative assortation.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."