Jump to topic:

controversial views expressed on Facebook

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:31:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I find it strange when members on DDO start expressing their highly controversial views on facebook. On DDO, controversial views can be expressed and encouraged with little negative reprecusions. After all, you'll never have to interact with these people ever again. However, on facebook its different.

Just the negative opinion your friends would think of you seem to outweigh the benefits. I have many controversial views about my beliefs on politics and humans, but I don't think I'd be willing to tell most people about them.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:03:17 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:41:49 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/11/2012 11:38:37 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I don't facebook.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAEJzUa5I7c

lol
kfc
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:48:02 PM
I don't facebook.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:51:25 PM
At 9/11/2012 8:49:43 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 9/11/2012 8:48:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:
I don't facebook.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:51:34 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:31:07 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I find it strange when members on DDO start expressing their highly controversial views on facebook. On DDO, controversial views can be expressed and encouraged with little negative reprecusions. After all, you'll never have to interact with these people ever again. However, on facebook its different.

Just the negative opinion your friends would think of you seem to outweigh the benefits. I have many controversial views about my beliefs on politics and humans, but I don't think I'd be willing to tell most people about them.

Thats the psychological trap that is present within modern day society. They are too scared to deviate from the overly "safe" route. That route is a route of weakness.

Real men state what they believe and stand their ground.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:57:08 PM
At 9/11/2012 8:51:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I'm not cool.

Yeah, we noticed.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:24:34 PM

You shouldn't hide your opinions... Hold them proudly.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:34:24 PM
I don't facebook.

All lies. You just don't want me to facebook friend you.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:43:20 PM
Facebook is meant for stalking girls you liked in high school and masturbating to their pictures in your own time, not for expressing all of your political views.

Duh.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:45:08 PM

I want names!
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:49:20 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:43:20 PM, imabench wrote:
Facebook is meant for stalking girls you liked in high school and masturbating to their pictures in your own time, not for expressing all of your political views.

Duh.

Debate.org opinions:
Should people under 18 use facebook?

Would this be considered an argument for or against.
Open borders debate:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 10:14:48 AM
I don't facebook.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
kfc
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 10:26:23 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:49:20 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Duh.

Debate.org opinions:
Should people under 18 use facebook?

Would this be considered an argument for or against.

Against....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 11:25:17 AM
At 9/11/2012 9:30:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Really? I'm controversial on facebook all the time. I have lost friends over it too.

I haven't lost friends over it but I'm also pretty controversial on facebook. I've gotten into some pretty intense, spirited debates though where tension was really high.

I'm an atheist, anarchist, I think the U.S. and Israel are leading terrorist states, I'm a fan of safe mind altering drugs like marijuana and shrooms.... And I'm not shy about any of this on facebook. I don't know, I just feel like if there's something I want to say, it's silly to restrain myself for the sake of the opinion of others. If they were worth me caring about them, they wouldn't get pissed off that I shared an opinion that differs from the status quo. My point about all my "radical" opinions is that most of my friends are Zionist Orthodox Jews who think America and especially Israel are the greatest forces for good the world has ever known. My views are like the opposite of that, but I share them anyway and if someone's gonna get offended by that, screw them, it's their choice to be intolerant and they're clearly not someone whose approval or lack thereof I should care about.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 1:40:59 PM
Yeah I see what you are saying, I am seeing alot of politics on facebook and i just feel like i'm biting my nails trying not to comment. I don't but don't you want to??
Me
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:03:41 PM
It is a strange thing that even some of the most casual of political comments are interpreted as controversial. I don't see anything wrong with highlighting your concerns in an objective sort of manner. I just posted that Moody's is looking to down grade the US credit rating if nothing is done with the debt. I simply shared an article, and said "tick tick tick tick" - now some may think it impolite to post something like that, but at some point you have to be more than an empty vessel to the world, just so that no one is offended. Besides, who would you rather read, someone who posts pictures of their baby and puppy, or someone who comments about the happenings of the day?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:20:39 PM
I make controversial facebook posts and I lose no friends over it.

Just yesterday I posted a status saying "Obama is taking our money and giving it to Al-Queda terrorists" and the only comment I got was from one of my friends who wrote "lol."

Idk what kind of friends Insert has or what she said to lose friends, that is beyond me.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:24:13 PM
Really? I'm controversial on facebook all the time. I have lost friends over it too.

Me too. I have lost family members because of my religious views. :/
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:30:11 PM
At 9/12/2012 2:20:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I make controversial facebook posts and I lose no friends over it.

Just yesterday I posted a status saying "Obama is taking our money and giving it to Al-Queda terrorists" and the only comment I got was from one of my friends who wrote "lol."

Idk what kind of friends Insert has or what she said to lose friends, that is beyond me.

You just haven't noticed that people are unfriending you lol....
Me
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:02:24 PM

Duh.

I read this sitting on the toilet and my laughter caused an explosion.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:06:11 PM
At 9/12/2012 11:25:17 AM, jat93 wrote:

I haven't lost friends over it but I'm also pretty controversial on facebook. I've gotten into some pretty intense, spirited debates though where tension was really high.

I'm an atheist, anarchist, I think the U.S. and Israel are leading terrorist states, I'm a fan of safe mind altering drugs like marijuana and shrooms.... And I'm not shy about any of this on facebook. I don't know, I just feel like if there's something I want to say, it's silly to restrain myself for the sake of the opinion of others. If they were worth me caring about them, they wouldn't get pissed off that I shared an opinion that differs from the status quo. My point about all my "radical" opinions is that most of my friends are Zionist Orthodox Jews who think America and especially Israel are the greatest forces for good the world has ever known. My views are like the opposite of that, but I share them anyway and if someone's gonna get offended by that, screw them, it's their choice to be intolerant and they're clearly not someone whose approval or lack thereof I should care about.

We would be the perfect gay couple. Too bad I like-a-duh-puss.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 5:09:34 PM
At 9/12/2012 4:06:11 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

*ehem*
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 6:08:45 PM
I hate seeing stupid political posts on facebook, cause I know it's more trouble than it's worth to respond to them.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 9:28:34 PM
At 9/11/2012 8:51:34 PM, MattDescopa wrote:

Thats the psychological trap that is present within modern day society. They are too scared to deviate from the overly "safe" route. That route is a route of weakness.

Real men state what they believe and stand their ground.

"Real men state what they believe and stand their ground."

That is true and that is why real men don't have friends, just acquaintances. I have no friends but know lots of people. But then again, my definition of what a friend is and what someone else's is, is most likely light years apart.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 9:58:57 AM
I used to think the same way as the OP. But the thing is, I don't care about offending people anymore. As I touted on my FB page recently, I had to take these emotional intelligence surveys for work. The results were not surprising: one of the things I learned (or rather had affirmed) is that I care more about the truth and being right than being popular or well-liked (which probably comes as no surprise to the people here). I both go to school and work in the city full time. I'm in a relationship. I have a lot of obligations to my family, and some really good friends who mostly don't give a flying you-know-what about politics, religious controversy, etc.

So the truth is, I really don't have the time to concern myself with people who might no longer respect me as the result of something I post on Facebook. I am genuinely too busy to care about something so frivolous. Maybe when you get out of HS/college you'll feel the same. In this day and age, for young people Facebook is paramount to their social and personal lives; for me it's not. Even though I know people get really pissed at some of the things I say and probably (negatively) judge me for it - especially those who don't know me that well, or who I see rarely - I think most people who know me IRL get that I am a passionate person who feels compelled to stand up for what I believe is right, and if they don"t like it, I won't care if they remove themselves from my page or my life if it's that big of a deal.

As for me, I see people post retarded sh!t on Facebook CONSTANTLY - especially in the midst of election season - and I'm not shy about disagreeing with them. If they post something publicly, to me it's fair game to engage. What I don't do is post things that are particularly controversial on other people's pages (I save it for mine) -- for example being anti-military. I came across a photo on FB that described my sentiments on this matter: Oh, is my posting about the next potential leader of the free world bothering you? My bad. Carry on posting pictures of what you had for dinner.
President of DDO
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 10:56:06 PM
At 9/12/2012 4:06:11 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Haha, actual lol at this. I've thought a few times before that of all the active members on this site, when it comes to the big issues you probably agree with me more than anyone else. (I would check right now but seeing as your profile is in socialist Muslim extremist mode...) I knew we basically agreed on all things political and religious, didn't know anything about your views on (safe) mind altering drugs though