Jump to topic:

Adoration of a fellow man

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 1:07:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I find this to be really creepy. Anyone who holds one man or woman above others and showers them with adoration is just wrong to my gut. I don't care if it's a politician (actually I find that to be the most disturbing) or a religious figure, someone from Hollywood, or anyone from pop culture. It's one thing to admire and respect, but adoration crosses a line that is like trading off a piece of yourself voluntarily - it's just deeply wrong.

I say this because I have a friend who is easily swayed by authority figures and people that he finds worthy of his devotion. I don't understand the weakness in this person, because that's the way I perceive it. He is weak, and needs to feed on some mythical perception of other people, so that his life has some pathetic greater meaning. I tried to explain to him why this is wrong, and what sorts of calamities it's lead to in history, and to this day in parts of the world where it's common. I'm no paragon of virtue and have my own defects of character to deal with, but this is just troubling to witness.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 2:12:39 PM
Is the problem that no human deserves that kind of praise, or is it that the individual sacrifices his own integrity in the process?

If it's the latter, then I could say the same for every religion that feels the need to "praise God".
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 2:36:42 PM
At 9/13/2012 1:23:36 PM, Koopin wrote:
I don't get what you're saying. Like, a spouse or someone you don't actually know?

Usually someone you don't know, a celebrity. Teen girls are a good example of it: or

But really when adults fall into this it's scary.

or

or

;-)
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 3:39:13 PM
admiration of someone who follows in the footsteps who is actually great is not bad.

I think what you want to say is admiration without action is bad. People who admire someone and thats it.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 4:48:11 PM
Am I the only one who thought after reading the title of this thread that it was about gay attraction?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 5:05:53 PM
At 9/13/2012 1:07:23 PM, innomen wrote:
I find this to be really creepy. Anyone who holds one man or woman above others and showers them with adoration is just wrong to my gut. I don't care if it's a politician (actually I find that to be the most disturbing) or a religious figure, someone from Hollywood, or anyone from pop culture. It's one thing to admire and respect, but adoration crosses a line that is like trading off a piece of yourself voluntarily - it's just deeply wrong.

I say this because I have a friend who is easily swayed by authority figures and people that he finds worthy of his devotion. I don't understand the weakness in this person, because that's the way I perceive it. He is weak, and needs to feed on some mythical perception of other people, so that his life has some pathetic greater meaning. I tried to explain to him why this is wrong, and what sorts of calamities it's lead to in history, and to this day in parts of the world where it's common. I'm no paragon of virtue and have my own defects of character to deal with, but this is just troubling to witness.

I agree 100%.

I used to get like this as a kid -- especially about well-known or famous women -- but I eventually grew out of it. I would say that I find it equally disturbing, but I thought most people were this way? I mean, as soon as a celebrity is spotted in public, everyone goes nuts.

I would figure that most people would realize that well-known people are probably boring and banal unless they're doing whatever they're well-known for, but they don't seem to, which leads me to believe that your friend is exhibiting typical behavior.