Total Posts:52|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do You Use Welfare?

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 4:07:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses, are you signed up for and receiving government aid?

If so, what has the process been like?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 5:53:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Nope, though I would likely qualify for a Link card. I wouldn't take it either way though.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 6:42:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 4:07:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses, are you signed up for and receiving government aid?

If so, what has the process been like?

I highly doubt anyone on this site is on welfare (Although Mouthwash is on his way with his fake college degree in dropoutonomics).
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 6:52:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 5:53:05 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Nope, though I would likely qualify for a Link card. I wouldn't take it either way though.

Word.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 7:11:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 4:07:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses, are you signed up for and receiving government aid?

If so, what has the process been like?

"Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses"

What is the basic welfare "EVERYONE USES" I missed the boat on that one. I isn't getten me no check from the man.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 7:27:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 4:07:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses, are you signed up for and receiving government aid?

What basic welfare are you taking about?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.
kfc
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:43:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 4:07:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses, are you signed up for and receiving government aid?

If so, what has the process been like?

I have federal student loans, used a tax credit to afford my house, and my wife was on unemployment. All processes have been simple, but unemployment took three weeks to kick in, and she was unfairly booted off of it, IMO.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:45:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If prostitution were made legal and sexual gratification was declared a basic need... well. :/
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:48:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 7:11:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2012 4:07:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses, are you signed up for and receiving government aid?

If so, what has the process been like?

"Besides the basic welfare that everyone uses"

What is the basic welfare "EVERYONE USES" I missed the boat on that one. I isn't getten me no check from the man.

Oh, my mistake. That statement doesn't apply to those living in the vast underground Libertarian bunker civilization who have never been to public school or driven on public roads.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:49:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?

Food Stamps, it's where the government pays money for food. She won't accept the program where the government gives you money for whatever (rent, car payments.) With food stamps (now called EBT) you can only buy food.
kfc
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:51:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:49:26 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?

Food Stamps, it's where the government pays money for food. She won't accept the program where the government gives you money for whatever (rent, car payments.) With food stamps (now called EBT) you can only buy food.

You can actually buy cigarettes and booze with it also.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:51:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not sure in what respect it counts but I got a state scholarship and am in the process of applying for some grants for college. I'm not sure if they could make the process any more unbearable if they tried.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:53:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:51:46 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I'm not sure in what respect it counts but I got a state scholarship and am in the process of applying for some grants for college. I'm not sure if they could make the process any more unbearable if they tried.

What's unbearable about it?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:56:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, my health insurance is currently state provided, and my mam lives in low income housing.

I have no shame.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:57:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Shit's hitting the fan for me right now, so I'm curious.

Thankfully, I get internet for free because the provider needed a center point in the area.

I think I'm just going to apply for help with my phone bill(yes, they have that) and getting through college.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:58:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I take every dollar the Government will give me and the difficulty of claiming said money ranges from not to very.

And before someone pipes in with 'aren't you against such things as an anarchist' well yes I am and I'd sooner have such things completely unavailable but while I pay tax, fvck it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:58:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:51:07 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:49:26 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?

Food Stamps, it's where the government pays money for food. She won't accept the program where the government gives you money for whatever (rent, car payments.) With food stamps (now called EBT) you can only buy food.

You can actually buy cigarettes and booze with it also.

With what? Welfare? I know you can't use Foodstamps to buy Alcohol or cigs in Georgia.
kfc
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 8:59:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it's irrational be ashamed of this issue.

If it helps and you can get it, you take advantage of that shit.

Take notice that this isn't in the political section, btw.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 9:01:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:58:32 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I take every dollar the Government will give me and the difficulty of claiming said money ranges from not to very.

And before someone pipes in with 'aren't you against such things as an anarchist' well yes I am and I'd sooner have such things completely unavailable but while I pay tax, fvck it.

What are the easier and harder things?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 9:03:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't even justify it like "Oh, I pay tax." Not that there's anything wrong with that statement, it's valid, and true.

But when it comes to brass tacks, I'll take the help that's offered me.

Like the Cabaret song goes.

"...the fat little pastor
He will tell you to love evermore.
But when hunger comes a rat
Ratatat, ratatat at the window,
See how love flies out the door!"
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 9:06:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 9:03:34 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I don't even justify it like "Oh, I pay tax." Not that there's anything wrong with that statement, it's valid, and true.

But when it comes to brass tacks, I'll take the help that's offered me.

Like the Cabaret song goes.

"...the fat little pastor
He will tell you to love evermore.
But when hunger comes a rat
Ratatat, ratatat at the window,
See how love flies out the door!"

Exactly my sentiment.

The only time you shouldn't is for the purpose of a better personal relationship with someone.

The gov' ain't my bud. Gimme what you gonna gimme.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 10:03:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Many of these posts make me want to throw up.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 10:13:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:58:52 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:51:07 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:49:26 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?

Food Stamps, it's where the government pays money for food. She won't accept the program where the government gives you money for whatever (rent, car payments.) With food stamps (now called EBT) you can only buy food.

You can actually buy cigarettes and booze with it also.

With what? Welfare? I know you can't use Foodstamps to buy Alcohol or cigs in Georgia.

might depend on the state. A news article states a women get fired for refusing to accept food stamps as payment for cigaretts.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 10:15:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:59:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think it's irrational be ashamed of this issue.

If it helps and you can get it, you take advantage of that shit.

Take notice that this isn't in the political section, btw.

you usually have to have children to qualify for welfare. Also, the requirements are a welfare to work program, so you still have to work.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 10:20:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 8:58:52 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:51:07 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:49:26 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?

Food Stamps, it's where the government pays money for food. She won't accept the program where the government gives you money for whatever (rent, car payments.) With food stamps (now called EBT) you can only buy food.

You can actually buy cigarettes and booze with it also.

With what? Welfare? I know you can't use Foodstamps to buy Alcohol or cigs in Georgia.

Georgia may be different than MN, but I doubt it in the following regard. Threshholds and amounts probably vary, and what is food stampable may vary, but I doubt this aspect is affected.

I think DarkKermit is referring to the cash benefit of EBT. On your EBT card, there is food stamps (that you use for tax-exempt food) and cash benefit (to be used for any item). The purpose of the cash benefit is to limit abuse by not allowing food stamps to buy anything, and to use the cash benefit for taxable goods, such as cleaning products, OTC medicine, toilet paper, other non-food items that people need, and taxable groceries like cooked chicken at the deli.

However, people do use this to buy alcohol and cigerettes, as they can use it for anything they like, as long as the vendor accepts EBT. And, as always, there is the black market (I give you $50, you buy me $100 of groceries).
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 10:24:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/29/2012 10:20:00 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:58:52 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:51:07 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:49:26 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/29/2012 8:45:41 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/29/2012 7:37:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
My mom uses food stamps, though I wish she would not. However, I don't argue with it because she is already ashamed to be using it. She could get on Welfare but refuses. I'm proud of her in that aspect, and she says when she gets another job she'll stop using the food stamps.

What distinction are you making between welfare and food stamps? I equate the two (as food stamps are generally the easiest to qualify for and mostly used), but is there some distinction in your state?

Food Stamps, it's where the government pays money for food. She won't accept the program where the government gives you money for whatever (rent, car payments.) With food stamps (now called EBT) you can only buy food.

You can actually buy cigarettes and booze with it also.

With what? Welfare? I know you can't use Foodstamps to buy Alcohol or cigs in Georgia.

Georgia may be different than MN, but I doubt it in the following regard. Threshholds and amounts probably vary, and what is food stampable may vary, but I doubt this aspect is affected.

I think DarkKermit is referring to the cash benefit of EBT. On your EBT card, there is food stamps (that you use for tax-exempt food) and cash benefit (to be used for any item). The purpose of the cash benefit is to limit abuse by not allowing food stamps to buy anything, and to use the cash benefit for taxable goods, such as cleaning products, OTC medicine, toilet paper, other non-food items that people need, and taxable groceries like cooked chicken at the deli.

However, people do use this to buy alcohol and cigerettes, as they can use it for anything they like, as long as the vendor accepts EBT. And, as always, there is the black market (I give you $50, you buy me $100 of groceries).

Okay, If that's what it is, then it isn't so bad as I thought and makes sense.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...