Jump to topic:

BS SAT question

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 12:18:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A 50-foot wire runs from the roof of a building to the top of a 10-foot pole 14 feet across the street. How much taller would the pole have to be if the street were 16 feet wider and the wire remained the same length?

First of all, this is mathematically impossible...a right triangle cannot have 10, 14, and 50 ft dimensions. So I looked up the question (it's actually quite popular for pissing people off). So when people answered the question, they ignored the fact that the question claims that the pole is 10 ft long....instead they figured out what the length of the pole must be, given the 14 ft and 50 ft dimensions --> that became 48 ft. Then they did the same thing for 16 ft and 50 ft dimensions --> which became 40 ft. So the pole must be 8 ft longer. That's also the answer in the book.

My problem is that this question is A LIE. They give you no information about whether the pole is suspended in the air or not or how tall the house is, they just leave you to assume that it is 10 ft from the ground up. There is no possible way to solve it in the way it was presented. It doesn't qualify as tricky, it qualifies as dishonest. Please tell me I'm not just missing something, this question is criminal isn't it?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 12:23:34 PM
At 9/30/2012 12:18:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
Then they did the same thing for 30 ft and 50 ft dimensions --> which became 40 ft.

fixed
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 12:31:51 PM
actually nevermind this thread, I get it now. The pole IS 10 ft, but, that's not included in the 3rd length of the right triangle, the 3rd length is actually the distance from the top of the pole to the roof of the house...and the pole is incidentally shorter than the house...I kept assuming it had to be longer.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 2:46:18 PM
Let's contemplate and rework the scenario before getting up and raging and ranting about a "BS SAT question" (lol). :P
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 2:51:07 PM
At 9/30/2012 2:46:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Let's contemplate and rework the scenario before getting up and raging and ranting about a "BS SAT question" (lol). :P

shut the fvck up.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 3:00:18 PM
At 9/30/2012 2:51:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/30/2012 2:46:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

shut the fvck up.

However, I wont' fault you, since the question was slightly vague and there was a plurality of scenarios to consider before getting the correct answer.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau