Jump to topic:

Test how smart you are

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:09:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Found another BS SAT question. This one really is BS this time, I promise. I looked it over many times first. Try answering this question that corresponds with the following passage. I personally think the question is off, but want to see if others will get it right. I'll say the answer after.

In the 1800's (yeah, that's not a typo, Barrons literally put that comma there...they can't even write), when the commercial theater had ceased to be regarded as a git medium for serious writers, British intellectuals came to champion the plays of an obscure Norwegian dramatist. Hungry for a theater that spoke to their intellects, they wholeheartedly embraced the social realist dramas of Henrik Ibsen. Eleanor Marx, daughter of Karl Marx, went so far as to teach herself Norwegian in order to translate Ibsen's A Doll's House, which she presented in an amateur performance in a Bloomsbury drawing room.

10. The discussion of Eleanor Marx in lines 7-12 ("Eleanor...room") serves primarily to

(A) propose a counterexample
(B) correct an inaccurate statement
(C) introduce a questionable hypothesis
(D) support an earlier assertion
(E) acknowledge a factual discrepancy
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:11:21 PM
At 10/5/2012 6:09:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
commercial theater had ceased to be regarded as a git medium for serious writers

that should say "fit"
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:19:12 PM
Seems like "d."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:24:12 PM
At 10/5/2012 6:14:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm going to say "d".

I didn't do well on the SAT reading portion though. Only got a 600.

Yeah, that's the answer. I was stuck between D and E...frankly E didn't seem right, but it didn't seem wrong either, D seemed wrong. Since when was Eleanor Marx a "British intellectual"?? The passage only applies to British intellectuals, she isn't a British intellectual. So what assertions is being supported?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:29:36 PM
At 10/5/2012 6:24:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/5/2012 6:14:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm going to say "d".

I didn't do well on the SAT reading portion though. Only got a 600.

Yeah, that's the answer. I was stuck between D and E...frankly E didn't seem right, but it didn't seem wrong either, D seemed wrong. Since when was Eleanor Marx a "British intellectual"?? The passage only applies to British intellectuals, she isn't a British intellectual. So what assertions is being supported?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

She's actually english born. But its not like it mattered. It was "intellect" that was important, not whether they are British.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:33:05 PM
That was definitely not a "bs question."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:41:02 PM
At 10/5/2012 6:33:05 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yeah, I really have to agree here. Although, if you didnt know that Eleanor Marx was English it makes it less simple, but the assertion is that the English really liked the plays, and her going so far as to translate one supports that
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:44:27 PM
At 10/5/2012 6:41:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

Yeah, I really have to agree here. Although, if you didnt know that Eleanor Marx was English it makes it less simple, but the assertion is that the English really liked the plays, and her going so far as to translate one supports that

You don't need to know anything about Eleanor Marx or Karl Marx. You can logically deduce that it was not acknowledging a factual discrepancy (it might a discrepancy in itself, but there was no acknowledgement), there was no indication of it introducing a questionable hypothesis, nor was it trying to propose a counter-example or correct an inaccurate statement.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 6:47:29 PM
At 10/5/2012 6:44:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 10/5/2012 6:41:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

You don't need to know anything about Eleanor Marx or Karl Marx. You can logically deduce that it was not acknowledging a factual discrepancy (it might a discrepancy in itself, but there was no acknowledgement), there was no indication of it introducing a questionable hypothesis, nor was it trying to propose a counter-example or correct an inaccurate statement.

Yeah, that's true. That's why I said less simple ;). But definitely not a BS question...I'm actually taking the SAT tomorrow, I hope most of the questions are like this one
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:19:45 PM

Did he think it was BS because it was hard or something? Seemed obvious.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:21:52 PM
At 10/5/2012 8:19:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Did he think it was BS because it was hard or something? Seemed obvious.

Lol, this is going to be a long @ss thread of "BS SAT question" If he complains about every1 he gets wrong :p.
Open borders debate:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:27:13 PM
Not BS at all.

Sorry, Ike.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:28:21 PM
At 10/5/2012 8:27:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Not BS at all.

Sorry, Ike.

redundant.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:30:25 PM
At 10/5/2012 8:28:21 PM, 000ike wrote:
Not BS at all.

Sorry, Ike.

redundant.

Eh. Just stating my opinion is all.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 9:58:57 PM
If the majority of SAT questions are worded like this and cover obscure topics such as this, I'm doomed. I almost fell asleep reading that question.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:33:10 PM
Not BS at all.

Sorry you're going to do so poorly, Ike.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:35:41 PM
At 10/5/2012 9:58:57 PM, Contra wrote:
If the majority of SAT questions are worded like this and cover obscure topics such as this, I'm doomed. I almost fell asleep reading that question.

The SAT is mainly an endurance test.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:50:21 PM
D.
That was EXTREMELY simple. Then again, I'm good at keeping focus.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:54:58 PM
Found another BS SAT question. This one really is BS this time, I promise. I looked it over many times first. Try answering this question that corresponds with the following passage. I personally think the question is off, but want to see if others will get it right. I'll say the answer after.

In the 1800's (yeah, that's not a typo, Barrons literally put that comma there...they can't even write), when the commercial theater had ceased to be regarded as a git medium for serious writers, British intellectuals came to champion the plays of an obscure Norwegian dramatist. Hungry for a theater that spoke to their intellects, they wholeheartedly embraced the social realist dramas of Henrik Ibsen. Eleanor Marx, daughter of Karl Marx, went so far as to teach herself Norwegian in order to translate Ibsen's A Doll's House, which she presented in an amateur performance in a Bloomsbury drawing room.

10. The discussion of Eleanor Marx in lines 7-12 ("Eleanor...room") serves primarily to

It's (d). The statement directly follows the relatively general statements that " British intellectuals came to champion the plays of an obscure Norwegian dramatist. Hungry for a theater that spoke to their intellects, they wholeheartedly embraced the social realist dramas of Henrik Ibsen" and seeks to qualify (as in the sense, making visible or manifest) that assertion--in other words, by showing the extent of Eleanor Marx's efforts after she embraced the social-realist dramas before presenting them in the Bloomsbury room. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:55:52 PM
This isn't hard at all, Ike. How have you reacted to the longer passages in the Reading Comprehension section, lol?

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:59:35 PM
At 10/5/2012 11:54:58 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

It's (d). The statement directly follows the relatively general statements that " British intellectuals came to champion the plays of an obscure Norwegian dramatist. Hungry for a theater that spoke to their intellects, they wholeheartedly embraced the social realist dramas of Henrik Ibsen" and seeks to qualify (as in the sense, making visible or manifest) that assertion--in other words, by showing the extent of Eleanor Marx's efforts after she embraced the social-realist dramas before presenting them in the Bloomsbury room. :)

It's (d). The sentence follows the general assertion that "British intellectuals came to champion the plays of an obscure Norwegian dramatist. Hungry for a theater that spoke to their intellects, they wholeheartedly embraced the social realist dramas of Henrik Ibsen." It seeks to provide an example as well as show, in Eleanor Marx's efforts to present the social-realist dramas that she embraced in the Bloomsbury room, the extent of how Isben was accepted by British intellectuals (a group of which Eleanor is part of).

Revised. :)

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 12:33:50 AM
At 10/5/2012 11:35:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Expand...
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 6:37:58 AM
At 10/5/2012 11:55:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
This isn't hard at all, Ike. How have you reacted to the longer passages in the Reading Comprehension section, lol?

because you know by now how I react when your "bandwagon posts" like the bored stalker that you are, I'll leave it to your imagination to delineate what exactly I think of your responses. :)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 6:44:43 AM
At 10/5/2012 11:33:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Not BS at all.

Sorry you're going to do so poorly, Ike.

redundant.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 7:48:31 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with intellegence. An Intellegent person would write something that had useful meaning to the person reading it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 11:18:12 AM
At 10/6/2012 7:48:31 AM, sadolite wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with intellegence. An Intellegent person would write something that had useful meaning to the person reading it.

So we can conclude you're borderline retarded then?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 12:00:14 PM
At 10/6/2012 11:18:12 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/6/2012 7:48:31 AM, sadolite wrote:

So we can conclude you're borderline retarded then?

oh, come now..

Sadolite never shies away from gracing us with his topical, detailed, unique, engaging and relevant opinions on matters.

How Dare You!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 2:02:50 PM
At 10/6/2012 6:37:58 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/5/2012 11:55:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

because you know by now how I react when your "bandwagon posts" like the bored stalker that you are, I'll leave it to your imagination to delineate what exactly I think of your responses. :)

I see. That sounds like more of an attempt to affirm your superiority than anything else...Ike. :)

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 2:10:38 PM
At 10/6/2012 12:33:50 AM, Contra wrote:
At 10/5/2012 11:35:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Expand...

Well its a longer exam then your used to. Towards the end, you can be so tired that your brain kind of turns to mush. First time I took it I didn't do so well because I was too tired at the end. Its a 6 hour exam of just sitting there and solving problems and reading. The reading, as you already saw, is boring. You can see how that can get exhausting. The trick I found is about getting done with each section quickly, so you can just chill and relax between sections.
Open borders debate: