Jump to topic:

Passing the GED test.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 11:55:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not terribly intimidated, but is there anything I could study to make sure I know everything on it? Has someone here taken it? I can do it once I'm sixteen, and I turn sixteen in four days.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:10:46 PM
At 10/10/2012 11:55:24 AM, MouthWash wrote:
I'm not terribly intimidated, but is there anything I could study to make sure I know everything on it? Has someone here taken it? I can do it once I'm sixteen, and I turn sixteen in four days.

Took it. Aced it. Incredibly, almost painfully easy, answers self evident and can generally be found in the question/passage. You are so much smarter than most people taking the test, remember that. I stink at math and hard sciences - I was in the lowest high school tracks and performed miserably even in those classes - but got near perfect scores on the GED section.

I'm sure you could easily find GED prep/review by googling and scouring the internet, and/or by picking up an official review book for it at any big bookstore. I got a Kaplan's review at Barnes and Noble but I barely read it.

I'm not entirely sure about this but I think that your score doesn't really matter, assuming you pass, unless you do amazingly well in individual sections or the whole test. I think I could have easily gotten a perfect score or very close to it if I really reviewed the book I got. I'm not sure how worth it it is to strive for such a score though.

Good luck, and don't stress or waste too much time/effort preparing, unless you really want an amazing score. Again, I'm not sure about the benefits of such a score, you'd have to look into that if you're interested I guess.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:25:24 PM
How many five digit numbers are there with distinct digits?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:31:37 PM
Anyone can pass a GED test. I took a practice test online for the lolz and found the questions easier than middle school.

My friend who is a crack head with not a single cell in his brain got through it.
kfc
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:43:17 PM
You have to be 18 to take the GED test. Otherwise, people would just opt out of high school, get their GED, and not have to do all this high school crap.

Although i'm pretty sure you can take college classes as a non-matriculated student for some colleges w/out a GED. Possibly go to community college w/out a GED.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:47:59 PM
At 10/10/2012 12:43:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
You have to be 18 to take the GED test. Otherwise, people would just opt out of high school, get their GED, and not have to do all this high school crap.

Although i'm pretty sure you can take college classes as a non-matriculated student for some colleges w/out a GED. Possibly go to community college w/out a GED.

Wrong. I live in Georgia: [http://www.passged.com...]
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:50:50 PM
At 10/10/2012 12:31:37 PM, Koopin wrote:
Anyone can pass a GED test. I took a practice test online for the lolz and found the questions easier than middle school.

My friend who is a crack head with not a single cell in his brain got through it.

I just took a practice test online. I'm extremely proficient at math and reading, but I couldn't answer ANY of the questions for math and I found the reading comprehension difficult.

Here: [http://www.testpreppractice.net...]
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 12:57:22 PM
At 10/10/2012 12:47:59 PM, MouthWash wrote:

my bad, in RI the rules are different. That's kind of lame.
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:01:11 PM
At 10/10/2012 12:57:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/10/2012 12:47:59 PM, MouthWash wrote:

my bad, in RI the rules are different. That's kind of lame.

Any advice?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:18:54 PM
At 10/10/2012 12:50:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I just took a practice test online. I'm extremely proficient at math and reading, but I couldn't answer ANY of the questions for math and I found the reading comprehension difficult.

those don't seem like typical math ged problems. I couldn't even solve most of them and I got a 650 on my SAT scores. I'm taking a practice GED exam right now, and the questions are MUCH easier
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:21:50 PM
At 10/10/2012 1:18:54 PM, darkkermit wrote:

those don't seem like typical math ged problems. I couldn't even solve most of them and I got a 650 on my SAT scores. I'm taking a practice GED exam right now, and the questions are MUCH easier

Where can I find a more realistic one? (standards in Georgia are so hilariously low I'm still learning what "graphs" are in the ninth grade.)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:51:19 PM
At 10/10/2012 1:21:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 10/10/2012 1:18:54 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Where can I find a more realistic one? (standards in Georgia are so hilariously low I'm still learning what "graphs" are in the ninth grade.)

http://www.4tests.com...
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 2:37:39 PM
The site you went to lied about the difficulty of the GED exam in order to get you to buy the GED books on their website. The questions asked required an understanding of permutation and combinations. They aren't covered that much in high school. I learned a great deal of them in College level probability & statistics. Even then I couldn't solve the problems (although I mostly forgot everything from probability & statistics).
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:16:10 PM
At 10/10/2012 3:06:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 10/10/2012 1:51:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:

http://www.4tests.com...

This is a good site. I took the SAT practice on it.

Yea, its a relatively easy exam.
When I looked at the link that MouthWash gave me, I was like wtf? (take a look yourself).
Open borders debate:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:21:13 PM
At 10/10/2012 2:37:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
The site you went to lied about the difficulty of the GED exam in order to get you to buy the GED books on their website. The questions asked required an understanding of permutation and combinations. They aren't covered that much in high school. I learned a great deal of them in College level probability & statistics. Even then I couldn't solve the problems (although I mostly forgot everything from probability & statistics).

What are the odds of drawing a queen of hearts, two spades and one three...that class was blow your brains out boring.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:23:32 PM

Lol. Makes sense now. What type of math would be required to know this?:

"To measure the distance (DC) across a pond, a surveyor takes points A and B (somewhere else) so that AB is parallel to DC. If AB = 60 feet, EB = 48 feel, and ED = 80 feet, find DC."
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:24:32 PM
E is a point between the lake and AB.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:27:43 PM
Oh, it doesn't provide information about far directly E is from either side. I guess this can't be solved (that's one of the answers).
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:31:58 PM
At 10/10/2012 3:23:32 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Lol. Makes sense now. What type of math would be required to know this?:

"To measure the distance (DC) across a pond, a surveyor takes points A and B (somewhere else) so that AB is parallel to DC. If AB = 60 feet, EB = 48 feel, and ED = 80 feet, find DC."

geo metry
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:58:28 PM
Are there time limits or does the amount of time taken affect your score?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:08:07 PM
F*ck... 80%? >.<
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:09:37 PM
7 is bullshit. I got that one right; even their own explanation proved them wrong.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:15:41 PM
I got 22 right, too, but I apparently misclicked. 37 I misread and deserved to miss. I completely fucked up 61, and I'm too disinterested to continue any further.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:22:34 PM
See for yourselves: [http://www.4tests.com...]
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:23:12 PM
Hey, wasn't there an essay portion? How is a GED taken anyway?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:30:52 PM
At 10/10/2012 11:55:24 AM, MouthWash wrote:

I took it 32 years ago, Know your history and know your algebra. At least that was what was predominant on the test I took. If you can read the rest of the test is reading comprehension.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:38:18 PM
At 10/10/2012 5:23:12 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Hey, wasn't there an essay portion? How is a GED taken anyway?

You go google a local testing facility, pay money and buy what ever they require you to buy, study then take the test.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%