Jump to topic:

Happy Coming Out Day!

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 9:52:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"National Coming Out Day (NCOD) is an internationally observed civil awareness day celebrating individuals who publicly identify as bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender"coming out regarding one's sexual orientation and/or gender identity being akin to a cultural rite of passage for LGBT people. The holiday is observed annually by members of the LGBT community on October 11."

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy coming out day. I am proud to be gay!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:20:36 AM
At 10/11/2012 9:52:24 AM, Microsuck wrote:
"National Coming Out Day (NCOD) is an internationally observed civil awareness day celebrating individuals who publicly identify as bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender"coming out regarding one's sexual orientation and/or gender identity being akin to a cultural rite of passage for LGBT people. The holiday is observed annually by members of the LGBT community on October 11."

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy coming out day. I am proud to be gay!

Are you gay ? And more importantly why should we care. Turning your sexual orientation into politics is not good.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:26:09 AM
At 10/11/2012 10:12:17 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Why is sexual orientation something to be proud of?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:34:27 AM

Agreed. But given the history of discrimination and intolerance of people of an LGBT orientation, it is understandable why they'd want to turn it around the opposite way and say "it's not something I'm ashamed of, rather I'm proud of it." Similar thing with black history month. Understandable, but I disagree with the logic behind both, and I think the best thing to do is just to be normal about it. Seriously, who ever says "I'm proud to be heterosexual"? Why be proud of it, since it's just what you naturally are? I feel like it would be the same as me saying "I'm proud to be white." I'm not, but I'm not ashamed either, because it's just what I am and I have no control over it. Just my two cents...
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:36:24 AM
At 10/11/2012 10:34:27 AM, jat93 wrote:

Agreed. But given the history of discrimination and intolerance of people of an LGBT orientation, it is understandable why they'd want to turn it around the opposite way and say "it's not something I'm ashamed of, rather I'm proud of it." Similar thing with black history month. Understandable, but I disagree with the logic behind both, and I think the best thing to do is just to be normal about it. Seriously, who ever says "I'm proud to be heterosexual"? Why be proud of it, since it's just what you naturally are? I feel like it would be the same as me saying "I'm proud to be white." I'm not, but I'm not ashamed either, because it's just what I am and I have no control over it. Just my two cents...

(Crazy anti-gay bible thumping religious nuts don't count, since they're insane.)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:38:01 AM

Sexual orientation and gender and race are 3 different things.
Noone is born gay, or were we intended to be.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:52:31 AM
I understand being proud of being gay. Given the history of intolerance and idiot moralizing against homosexuality, it makes sense to say "fvck off this is who we are". Kind of like how intolerance against blacks lead to formation of a more African-centered sense of pride. Though I'm not particularly vocal or flamboyant, I definitely understand the sentiment.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:58:35 AM
At 10/11/2012 10:52:31 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I understand being proud of being gay. Given the history of intolerance and idiot moralizing against homosexuality, it makes sense to say "fvck off this is who we are". Kind of like how intolerance against blacks lead to formation of a more African-centered sense of pride. Though I'm not particularly vocal or flamboyant, I definitely understand the sentiment.

Except, it's a wrong sentiment. The argument is that people shouldn't be discriminated against because of a natural condition, e.g., race, sexuality. The principle underlying that is that we have no reason to attach any status, including pride, to things over which we have no decision. Things that people do, like using their natural intelligence to pioneer scientific breakthroughs, or using their identity as a marginalized individual to spearhead social change, are things in which they can justifiably take pride. But, if others can't discriminate against you for a natural condition, then you certainly have no business parading it as if it was an accomplishment.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 11:16:46 AM
At 10/11/2012 10:26:09 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 11:27:51 AM
At 10/11/2012 11:03:41 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I love how coming out day falls on my birthday every year.

Better than being born on International Women's Day. Do people think about whether it could be someone's birthday when they make these holidays?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 11:37:51 AM

These were my sentiments as well. The OP is creating a false choice between pride and shame.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 11:39:30 AM

This is the wrong sentiment to develop. Not feeling shame =/= feeling pride and constructing a group identity based on something that was naturally assigned to me.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 11:50:49 AM
At 10/11/2012 11:39:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

This is the wrong sentiment to develop. Not feeling shame =/= feeling pride and constructing a group identity based on something that was naturally assigned to me.

Don't you feel proud to be a feminist?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 2:54:02 PM
At 10/11/2012 10:38:01 AM, inferno wrote:

Noone is born gay, or were we intended to be.

If the possibility exists to be gay (whether born or learned) wouldn't there have to be an intention by God/nature that at least some would be gay?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 2:57:18 PM
At 10/11/2012 11:27:51 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Do people think about whether it could be someone's birthday when they make these holidays?
If it's your birthday on "Coming Out Day," I think that describes the birth procedure very well...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 3:15:04 PM
At 10/11/2012 9:52:24 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy coming out day. I am proud to be gay!:

This is the gayest thread I've ever heard of (pun intended).

http://www.bing.com...

What is there is to be proud of? It's just as genetically incidental as being born with webbed toes, or having two different colored eyes.

I've never understood the whole faggoty, uber-liberal thing about "celebrating diversity." What's there to celebrate?

Ooh, it's Asian-Pacific Islander month! Lets make a big deal about their race in the interest of not making a big deal about their race!

Wow... I'm in a bad mood. Sorry DDO. Don't take it personally. Nonetheless, my points do stand.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 3:15:39 PM
Why is sexual orientation something to be proud of?:

Thank you, Royal.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 3:17:38 PM
Noone is born gay, or were we intended to be.:

Really, Inferno? Perhaps you explain then transsexuals for us. Clearly it was a choice those faggoty infants made in the womb!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 3:34:09 PM
Believe me, that whole proud to be gay thing gets old. Eventually you just sort of live your life, and don't give a crap about such stuff. I'm a bad gay man.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 3:40:42 PM
I think that a lot of people are missing the point here. Notice that it's called "coming out day" rather than "gay day" (which would be hilarious) or something else like that. It's because the sentiment of pride that is being promoted isn't to do with simply being gay, but with being brave enough to admit it to the world. And no matter how all powerful and widespread people might think pro-gay sentiment is, it is ignorant to deny that being openly gay is still something that requires courage.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 5:45:14 PM
wtf is this when do straight, white, protestant males such as myself get our day to feel special >:(

But really dude good job on being secure enough in yourself to be proud of yourself. I'm happy for you
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 6:02:06 PM

It's never been about the sexual orientation. Anything that is a part of who you are that people mock, demean and oppress you for, is something to be proud of.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 6:42:01 PM
At 10/11/2012 11:50:49 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/11/2012 11:39:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Don't you feel proud to be a feminist?

Feminism is a set of beliefs. Why would I be proud of believing something?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 6:44:03 PM
At 10/11/2012 6:02:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:

It's never been about the sexual orientation. Anything that is a part of who you are that people mock, demean and oppress you for, is something to be proud of.

Why? Not feeling shame =/= feeling pride. Why should I construct a group identity for myself based on characteristics that are outside my control?