Jump to topic:

Stress relief

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 6:13:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
looking for non-violent stress relief. After a hectic day, when you drown in work, everyone must have had this experience at least a few times, well, i get it often...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:31:14 AM
At 10/12/2012 9:29:50 AM, tulle wrote:

Complete begginers indeed.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:30:47 AM
At 10/12/2012 6:13:42 AM, Smithereens wrote:
looking for non-violent stress relief. After a hectic day, when you drown in work, everyone must have had this experience at least a few times, well, i get it often...

There is no such thing as "violent" stress-relief, so the distinction is unnecessary. Anger should never be indulged. Hitting a punching bag in anger, a seemingly morally-benign activity, is what psychologists call "catharsis." It has been shown to only stimulate MORE anger for you in the future, putting you in an even worse spot.

Your main goal should be to make sure you aren't over-working yourself. "Half for today, half for tomorrow" is my motto. IOWs, be productive, but enjoy each day like it's your last because you never know when it will be. To be more helpful, I will have to know exactly what is stressing you. Not having enough time for relaxation/recreation? Fear of failure? Interpersonal interactions with co-workers? Stressing about the future? There's all types of stresses and they are all different...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:12:46 PM
At 10/12/2012 10:30:47 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

There is no such thing as "violent" stress-relief, so the distinction is unnecessary. Anger should never be indulged. Hitting a punching bag in anger, a seemingly morally-benign activity, is what psychologists call "catharsis." It has been shown to only stimulate MORE anger for you in the future, putting you in an even worse spot.

Your main goal should be to make sure you aren't over-working yourself. "Half for today, half for tomorrow" is my motto. IOWs, be productive, but enjoy each day like it's your last because you never know when it will be. To be more helpful, I will have to know exactly what is stressing you. Not having enough time for relaxation/recreation? Fear of failure? Interpersonal interactions with co-workers? Stressing about the future? There's all types of stresses and they are all different...

MMA if you want violent stress relief.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 4:10:48 PM

Sex. Lots of sex.

Oh wait, you said "non-violent".

Nvm.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 5:28:30 PM

I find that a good FPS soothes one's nerves. and it seriously doesn't make me violent. one of my friends is having the same issues as me, being in my classes for nearly everything, and he started to fall behind early this year, since then he hasn't passed many of his tests, and i worry for him and myself when exams and stuff come.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 5:45:35 PM
At 10/12/2012 3:12:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

MMA if you want violent stress relief.

That depends on what you mean. There's a big difference between

1) joining martial arts in order to become violent to satisfy your anger and

2) joining martial arts in order to become disciplined and overcome your anger.

I would argue that only the second will result in overall stress relief.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 6:13:20 PM
Smoke some weed, it helps
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 6:24:16 PM
At 10/12/2012 6:13:20 PM, Chicken wrote:
Smoke some weed, it helps

Until you get busted for possession, then it causes more stress.
Unless you're high when you get busted, then you still won't give two fvcks.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:43:07 PM
At 10/12/2012 7:30:55 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/12/2012 7:16:54 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Burn her house down

what?

You heard the man. Burn her house down. With lemons.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 8:02:03 PM
Exercise. It helps a great deal. I think at home, in a cozy environment, is best. Enjoy some tea like green tea. It has l-theanine, a rare substance that promotes relaxation in the mind. In the end, don't care about small things. They often cause the most stress. Once you complete your work, consider yourself free.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:16:33 PM
At 10/12/2012 8:02:03 PM, Mirza wrote:
Exercise. It helps a great deal. I think at home, in a cozy environment, is best. Enjoy some tea like green tea. It has l-theanine, a rare substance that promotes relaxation in the mind. In the end, don't care about small things. They often cause the most stress. Once you complete your work, consider yourself free.

cheers, i can just imagine you on top of a mountain in asia just meditating.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:23:52 PM
At 10/12/2012 9:16:33 PM, Smithereens wrote:
cheers, i can just imagine you on top of a mountain in asia just meditating.
Some studies suggest that classical music - and there's no reason older type (like medieval music) - helps relieve stress. It helps listening to this music. Some physical techniques can be e.g., breathing air in slowly, but deeply, hold it for about 10 seconds, then slowly releasing it. This makes your body focus on the physical well-being more than something that bothers your mental states. Another thing: mindfulness. Make an attempt to enjoy the things you like much more than normally. When f.x. taking a walk, try to think, "Ah how lovely to have free time with beautiful weather." This makes you appreciate and enjoy your activities more, and relieve you from stress and anxiety.