Jump to topic:

Interview Tips

Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 9:09:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a group interview for a photography job at the mall later today. What are some tips you can throw my way? Also, how should I dress? I feel like I should wear a pear of black dress pants and a nice collared button-down shirt, probably solid red since it's one of my better colors. Would that be too much for a job at the mall?
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 11:43:07 AM
At 10/14/2012 9:09:40 AM, Mestari wrote:
I have a group interview for a photography job at the mall later today. What are some tips you can throw my way? Also, how should I dress? I feel like I should wear a pear of black dress pants and a nice collared button-down shirt, probably solid red since it's one of my better colors. Would that be too much for a job at the mall?

I live in Texas so things may be different here, but when my friends and I all applied for jobs at the mall (1 at Abercrombie, 1 at Hollister, and 1 at Build a Bear Workshop) We all came a bit differently. A nice button Downed Polo and Black Dress Pants that are not exceedingly tight should be good enough. Depending on where your applying, overdressing most likely will not be a bad thing. (Obviously I don't mean a tuxedo and a tie, rather just a small formal/casual would be fine as you stated above) Pick a color that suits you well, as you said red is good, so go with red. When applying to the mall it's not necessarily an extremely formal employment process, for me, I was taken down to the Ground floor (I applied to Abercrombie and Fitch, funny thing is i quit a week later cus it SUCKED) where the cafeteria/ Food Area is. We sat at a table and the lady took out a clipboard and just talked to me. I was dressed in a white polo and khaki pants, with some Sperrys. The lady asked about school, friends, when I can work, Why i want to work there... All simple questions. Ask some friends or people you may know at the mall also (What I did). Be relaxed and calm, do not act too uptight, nor too relaxed. Your applying to the mall, the person employing you will want to see that you aren't crazy or weird, but you aren't lazy either. Just talk normally, but address your employer formally.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 12:57:32 PM

I feel like I should wear a pear of black dress pants and a nice collared button-down shirt, probably solid red since it's one of my better colors.

I feel like I should wear apearof black dress pants

PEAR

Anyway, NO, it's not too much. The more dressed up you are, the crappier you make everyone else look. Even if you're trying to get a job at McDonalds, it's good to dress and act professionally for an interview (and all the time at the job, for that matter) even if you think it's overkill- they will probably appreciate your attention to detail while trying to get the job. It shows you're putting forth the effort- you're a hard worker. Dressing up may be a show of respect to some too. It shows that you are thankful for the opportunity to get the job- after all, some people who applied will not be at that interview. You were chosen, pikachu! Thank them for it. And as for the undoubtedly shallow hiring managers that are out there- dressing up shows you're attractive and well-groomed. This applies more to women than men, but it certainly won't hurt to look good and be remembered for it.

This is all just my view though. You should get a bunch of perspectives. I typically dress fancier and do my hair and makeup way more for an interview than I would for a normal day on the job. I swear, I think I dressed fancier in one interview than I did for a wedding I went to... Got the job though. :)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 7:31:55 PM
Oryus is back!! All is right with DDO again.

I know I'm obviously too late but I'll answer anyway. I also have a session at my university this week to learn interview skills so I'll come back to the thread and offer any advice I've got there.

Number one advice: BE ON TIME!!!

It's probably better to over dress than to under dress. I over dressed for an interview at McDonald's when I was a teenager and I got the job. You typically want to start out formally and follow their lead afterward.

Be professional. It's easy to slip into colloquialisms and slouch while you're interviewing. Not a good first impression. As I said, start formally and follow their lead, but never get as comfortable as the interviewer (eg. if they're speaking colloquially or swearing or slouching, maintain a professional demeanor). Be friendly, but not too friendly.

Be confident that you deserve the job. Don't be afraid to toot your own horn in terms of your positives. Just make sure you can back up your claims.

Never say anything bad about former employers. Even if you have had bad experiences, emphasized how you dealt with it and made it a positive experience.
yang.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 10:44:42 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted. You were too late Tulle but it's fine. :D I think the interview went well and should get a call by the end of the week if I got the job. I'll keep you guys posted. :D
Rules of Mafia

2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 2:13:37 AM
In case anybody cares, I got the job!
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.