Jump to topic:

Don't

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 5:48:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Say that the suicide of a girl on the news was because she was either mentally unstable or she was somehow asking for it. Especially in a class with girls. And a teacher with an adolescent daughter.

Fvck... you will not believe the sh!t I got in.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 5:56:29 PM
Even though I could logically show how all of her problems were as a result of an action that she committed with full knowledge of the repercussions, people just don't care.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 6:36:26 PM
At 10/16/2012 5:56:29 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Even though I could logically show how all of her problems were as a result of an action that she committed with full knowledge of the repercussions, people just don't care.

Well, that's just it, isn't it.

What annoys me the most is that when one girl kills herself she is a martyr despite the fact that she chose to kill herself; sometimes you face sh!tty things in life which you should tough out instead of offing yourself... I have a sh!t ton of personal problems. Family doesn't have much money these days, caring about school enough to do well has always been a challenge, parents are divorced, mom's got severe mental issues, and so on. Only an idiot would kill themselves because of that even if the problems felt unbearable, because they won't last forever. If anything, it makes me strive for a better future. I mean did this girl think that she'd be getting bullied her whole life and there would be no escape? At least give adult life a shot before you decide that you're going to commit suicide.

And that girl will get facebook statuses and memorials and whatnot. But as for entire regions in the world where disease, poverty, starvation are rampant... Well we won't freak out about that because that isn't affecting any pretty white girls from our culture, only weird looking foreigners with a weird foreign culture, so who cares...

The only pity I feel for someone who kills themselves because of bullying is that they were being bullied. There are other ways of dealing with it, though, short of taking your life. Some of them might even be drastic - a new school, home school, or *gasp* learning to deal with it because sh!t happens... But the fact that someone kills themselves over that just indicates that they are really awful at solving problems, probably very immature, so much so that they're willing to kill themselves (in part) to get revenge on the bullies.

The standard reaction to this in our society makes no sense and you're totally right.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 6:59:41 PM
I don't think the point is that the girl wasn't to "blame" per se, but that it's sad she felt hopeless enough to do such a thing. It's not condoning her actions or saying she handled it the best way, but I have pity for those who are that naive. Teenagers for the most part don't think clearly; they're flooded with hormones and most foolishly believe social standing is everything. Of course that's stupid, but it's still unfortunate.
President of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:01:19 PM
At 10/16/2012 6:36:26 PM, jat93 wrote:

What annoys me the most is that when one girl kills herself she is a martyr despite the fact that she chose to kill herself; sometimes you face sh!tty things in life which you should tough out instead of offing yourself... I have a sh!t ton of personal problems. Family doesn't have much money these days, caring about school enough to do well has always been a challenge, parents are divorced, mom's got severe mental issues, and so on. Only an idiot would kill themselves because of that even if the problems felt unbearable, because they won't last forever. If anything, it makes me strive for a better future. I mean did this girl think that she'd be getting bullied her whole life and there would be no escape? At least give adult life a shot before you decide that you're going to commit suicide.

And that girl will get facebook statuses and memorials and whatnot. But as for entire regions in the world where disease, poverty, starvation are rampant... Well we won't freak out about that because that isn't affecting any pretty white girls from our culture, only weird looking foreigners with a weird foreign culture, so who cares...

The only pity I feel for someone who kills themselves because of bullying is that they were being bullied. There are other ways of dealing with it, though, short of taking your life. Some of them might even be drastic - a new school, home school, or *gasp* learning to deal with it because sh!t happens... But the fact that someone kills themselves over that just indicates that they are really awful at solving problems, probably very immature, so much so that they're willing to kill themselves (in part) to get revenge on the bullies.

The standard reaction to this in our society makes no sense and you're totally right.

If she was actually telling the truth (we're talking about Amanda Todd, right?), then it's easy to see that the bullying towards her was rather unbearable and mostly definitely over the line. She even tried moving schools several times and the same people stalked her across schools and talked about how she should have killed herself. It's not really up for debate that the problems that she encountered were definitely horrendous and in the case of her predicament, which pretty much consisted of having no friends, everybody thinking that you are a whore, and nobody to talk to, suicide was an easy option. I don't blame her for this.

What I have problems with is people acting like she was the victim- she most definitely was not. These attacks were not unprovoked, as in nobody just told her to kill herself for absolutely no reason. These all originated with her performing an extremely stupid act on the Internet with full knowledge that nothing is private and everything provocative will get leaked (flashing). If you trace back events far enough, it all started with her provoking it all with this action. In essence, she caused all of it and it was her fault.

Again, this is assuming that she is telling the truth.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:14:38 PM

Ignorance is bliss, and your post was possibly one of the stupidest and most offensive things Ive ever seen on this site,

Now before I begin my little critical speech against what you just said, I'd like to clear the record and say no, I've never had someone close to me commit suicide, nor have I ever felt suicidal.

Also, I'd like to ask, have you ever been in the EXACT same position she was in? The answer is no, even if you were bullied, even if you were beaten, abused, no two human beings are alike. I can take a punch, but my friend cannot, although he is clearly stronger. I apologize for the bad example, but it's still relevant in proving my point. The same can be said about suicidal people.

I do agree with Lordknukle partially, and you, in that you both agreed hailing them as martyrs when thousands if not tens of thousands of people die in Africa ever day (Mainly children). HOWEVER
Saying that these suicidal people should "Grow up"(Give adult life a chance) and not take their own life is totally offensive, and i find it a shame that someone on this site would have the nerve to say something like that.

1) Every human being has the right to take their own life, it is their life. Life and value of life are intertwined with one another, and I strongly side with those that state that if Value of Life is diminished, Life itself is meaningless unless value can be re-achieved. This is where suicide comes in. Obviously not all suicidal people commit suicide, and not all people who commit suicide are mentally ill (Even if depression is the "Mentally Ill" we speak of) Even then, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THEY FEEL, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR THOUGHT PROCESS. While you may say that life is worth so much more than simply being embarrassed beyond all recognition, or being hurt, those who commit suicide see no way out of this "Dead end" To the value of their life, they see it as "My life is gone, I have nothing to live for".

2) Ridiculing the dead in itself is sad, and your doing just that. As stated before, we do not need to hail these people as martyrs, they are not heroes, they are people that willingly and knowingly took their own life. You do not have to praise them, but nor should you shame them. If you'd like, stay indifferent to this topic, but don't ever take the negative direction to such a touchy topic. I strongly suggest you have a talk with someone, anyone, who has suffered from serious depression, not just during their teen years, but during their adult years. You will gain a better understanding of how hard it is to cope with such a thought process of "Does life have any meaning?". Yes, I have interviewed a woman who was suffering from extreme depression, who was put on suicide watch, and she was 68. I interviewed a man, who was only 24, who also suffered from severe depression. Their reasonings were different, but their thought process was the same. I talked to many girls and boys at my school, I saw a little girl crying, I asked her why, she was extremely hostile but warmed up just enough to tell me how much her life sucked, how she wished she never came to this school. Guess what that girl was able to do that most girls couldn't though? She ended up being home schooled, and going to therapy. BUT before you jump on your assertion that "Oh I was right, I said they could be homeschooled" She was a lucky one, I have no idea if she was on the brink of suicide, I had no idea if she was severely depressed. The girl we are talking about now may have gone through the same faze as her, but missed precisely what saved this girl from ending her life.

READ UP ON THIS BEFORE YOU POST SOMETHING SO IGNORANT.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:17:09 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:14:38 PM, Chicken wrote:

Ignorance is bliss, and your post was possibly one of the stupidest and most offensive things Ive ever seen on this site,

Now before I begin my little critical speech against what you just said, I'd like to clear the record and say no, I've never had someone close to me commit suicide, nor have I ever felt suicidal.

Also, I'd like to ask, have you ever been in the EXACT same position she was in? The answer is no, even if you were bullied, even if you were beaten, abused, no two human beings are alike. I can take a punch, but my friend cannot, although he is clearly stronger. I apologize for the bad example, but it's still relevant in proving my point. The same can be said about suicidal people.

I do agree with Lordknukle partially, and you, in that you both agreed hailing them as martyrs when thousands if not tens of thousands of people die in Africa ever day (Mainly children). HOWEVER
Saying that these suicidal people should "Grow up"(Give adult life a chance) and not take their own life is totally offensive, and i find it a shame that someone on this site would have the nerve to say something like that.

1) Every human being has the right to take their own life, it is their life. Life and value of life are intertwined with one another, and I strongly side with those that state that if Value of Life is diminished, Life itself is meaningless unless value can be re-achieved. This is where suicide comes in. Obviously not all suicidal people commit suicide, and not all people who commit suicide are mentally ill (Even if depression is the "Mentally Ill" we speak of) Even then, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THEY FEEL, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR THOUGHT PROCESS. While you may say that life is worth so much more than simply being embarrassed beyond all recognition, or being hurt, those who commit suicide see no way out of this "Dead end" To the value of their life, they see it as "My life is gone, I have nothing to live for".

2) Ridiculing the dead in itself is sad, and your doing just that. As stated before, we do not need to hail these people as martyrs, they are not heroes, they are people that willingly and knowingly took their own life. You do not have to praise them, but nor should you shame them. If you'd like, stay indifferent to this topic, but don't ever take the negative direction to such a touchy topic. I strongly suggest you have a talk with someone, anyone, who has suffered from serious depression, not just during their teen years, but during their adult years. You will gain a better understanding of how hard it is to cope with such a thought process of "Does life have any meaning?". Yes, I have interviewed a woman who was suffering from extreme depression, who was put on suicide watch, and she was 68. I interviewed a man, who was only 24, who also suffered from severe depression. Their reasonings were different, but their thought process was the same. I talked to many girls and boys at my school, I saw a little girl crying, I asked her why, she was extremely hostile but warmed up just enough to tell me how much her life sucked, how she wished she never came to this school. Guess what that girl was able to do that most girls couldn't though? She ended up being home schooled, and going to therapy. BUT before you jump on your assertion that "Oh I was right, I said they could be homeschooled" She was a lucky one, I have no idea if she was on the brink of suicide, I had no idea if she was severely depressed. The girl we are talking about now may have gone through the same faze as her, but missed precisely what saved this girl from ending her life.

READ UP ON THIS BEFORE YOU POST SOMETHING SO IGNORANT.

Nobody would be ridiculing the dead if people weren't holding them as the pinnacle of some arbitrary social and political goal coupled with a fervent dissent towards anybody who thinks logically about this.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:23:05 PM
Someone showed me the pictures that that girl posted. I think that it is a tragedy that she killed herself however whatever scrutiny and bullying she suffered she obviously brought upon herself.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:23:21 PM
"YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THEY FEEL, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR THOUGHT PROCESS."
This is a BS point. Is it OK to you for me to murder someone because you have never murdered someone yourself?

@ the rest
Why should the dead get more respect than the living? I really wish to know. Death is neither good nor bad.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:25:02 PM
Why is it sad that anyone dies? We will all die sooner or later. Why is sooner given a negative connotation?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:26:46 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:23:21 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
This is a BS point. Is it OK to you for me to murder someone because you have never murdered someone yourself?

@ the rest
Why should the dead get more respect than the living? I really wish to know. Death is neither good nor bad.

1) That "BS" point was refuting them saying that suicidal people could just "Grow up" and wait to become adults.

2) Read the first point, I say we should be indifferent to those that commit suicide, if you want a blatant, yet semi harsh term to describe it, I'd say, ignore them, do not honor them, but do not slander them.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:26:54 PM

The better question is why the dead should have respect at all. Respect means nothing to the person dead and to those who were emotionally close to the person, if some random persons' lack of respect is enough to impact them, then they have serious problems.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:27:50 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:25:02 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Why is it sad that anyone dies? We will all die sooner or later. Why is sooner given a negative connotation?

Because we are losing someone we can never get back. That's why we fail to be sad when we learn about some person dying in some country. It's not someone personal.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:28:14 PM
If somebody is loaded high on seratonin (anti-depression meds) and still manages to find the suicidal thoughts to actually go through with the act, then it's a very clear sign of an underlying mental disorder.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:28:54 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:26:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

The better question is why the dead should have respect at all. Respect means nothing to the person dead and to those who were emotionally close to the person, if some random persons' lack of respect is enough to impact them, then they have serious problems.

READ MY POST (IGNORE THEM!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@) Jeez it feels like you guys don't read everything ever your just responding to the first few sentences you see.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:29:18 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:26:46 PM, Chicken wrote:

@ the rest

1) That "BS" point was refuting them saying that suicidal people could just "Grow up" and wait to become adults.
So murderers shouldn't stop "being so evil"?
2) Read the first point, I say we should be indifferent to those that commit suicide, if you want a blatant, yet semi harsh term to describe it, I'd say, ignore them, do not honor them, but do not slander them.

Ah, I didn't see that.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:31:17 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:28:54 PM, Chicken wrote:

READ MY POST (IGNORE THEM!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@) Jeez it feels like you guys don't read everything ever your just responding to the first few sentences you see.

I've read it. I'm fine with being indifferent to it if others are too. If others aren't, then I have no obligation to be indifferent.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:32:28 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:27:50 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Because we are losing someone we can never get back. That's why we fail to be sad when we learn about some person dying in some country. It's not someone personal.

You can't get back the millions dying in Africa. Care about only some people because of geographical proximity to you is just plain disgusting.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:34:20 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:31:17 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I've read it. I'm fine with being indifferent to it if others are too. If others aren't, then I have no obligation to be indifferent.

Then why are you arguing with me if you agree on the overall point? I wasn't chastizing you, just that idiot who said that suicidal kids can "Grow up"
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:35:34 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:32:28 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

You can't get back the millions dying in Africa. Care about only some people because of geographical proximity to you is just plain disgusting.

Humanity in itself has no boundaries. Theres no reason to geographically isolate and undermine a certain group of people. We do not cry for the 10,000 kids who die in Africa every day, so we should not cry for the one girl out of 500million citizens who commits suicide once a month.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:37:04 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:34:20 PM, Chicken wrote:

Then why are you arguing with me if you agree on the overall point? I wasn't chastizing you, just that idiot who said that suicidal kids can "Grow up"

Yeah, suicide was definitely an appropriate reaction in her predicament.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:38:38 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:37:04 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

"There are other ways of dealing with it, though, short of taking your life. Some of them might even be drastic - a new school, home school, or *gasp* learning to deal with it because sh!t happens... But the fact that someone kills themselves over that just indicates that they are really awful at solving problems, probably very immature, so much so that they're willing to kill themselves (in part) to get revenge on the bullies."

THAT IS WHAT I AM ARGUING AGAINST. I DONT GIVE A SH!T ABOUT ONE GIRL WHO COMMITS SUICIDE
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:40:23 PM

As opposed to your action (speaking out in class) with full knowledge of the repercussions?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:40:25 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:38:38 PM, Chicken wrote:
At 10/16/2012 7:37:04 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

"There are other ways of dealing with it, though, short of taking your life. Some of them might even be drastic - a new school, home school, or *gasp* learning to deal with it because sh!t happens... But the fact that someone kills themselves over that just indicates that they are really awful at solving problems, probably very immature, so much so that they're willing to kill themselves (in part) to get revenge on the bullies."

THAT IS WHAT I AM ARGUING AGAINST. I DONT GIVE A SH!T ABOUT ONE GIRL WHO COMMITS SUICIDE

Lol k.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:40:52 PM
Jat93 is the one who made the stupid remark, I agree with you lordknukle, I don't give a rats azz about people who commit suicide, because we all die in the end, and the people who commit suicide are about as close as that starving african child from the unicef commercial. Jat's argument is suicide is stupid because anyone can get out of depression basically, or grow up into an adult, he even says they should give it a chance. I'm not arguing for this one girl, I'm arguing for depression and those who commit suicide.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:44:39 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:32:28 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I don't honestly feel that sad about Miss Todd, because I never knew here. I don't know anything about her, she's not personal. Tats my point. Its sad millions die, but I honestly dont feel that sad about it because I never knew them, or met them.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:44:08 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:40:23 PM, drafterman wrote:

As opposed to your action (speaking out in class) with full knowledge of the repercussions?

I'm not saying that I didn't bring it upon myself- I did. I'm saying that people are stupid.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:05:43 PM
http://youtube.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:28:16 PM
According to Poodwaddle, today there have been approximately 1,033 suicides worldwide thus far today.

So...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 10:16:17 PM
At 10/16/2012 8:44:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 10/16/2012 7:40:23 PM, drafterman wrote:

I'm not saying that I didn't bring it upon myself- I did. I'm saying that people are stupid.

The hilarity of this response was, I'm guessing, unintentional.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...