Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Met And Spoke With Neil Degrasse Tyson!

jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:10:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Met him on the streets of NYC last weekend on the way to the Museum of Natural History, where incidentally he is the director of the planetarium. I was with a friend. We passed by, and it took me a second for it to register that we'd passed him, and I was like "wait man holy sh!t that's Neil Degrasse Tyson that just walked by!" We ran back and told him how much we love him (hopefully not appearing too much like creepy fangirls), and he said "no, you love the universe." It was awesome. We talked about how NDT thinks Isaac Newton is the most intelligent person ever, his relationship with Carl Sagan, the ridiculousness of intelligent design, and that's about it. It was so awesome though, because I've never met any of my intellectual heroes before, and it really made my day. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson, and I can't wait until the new version of the Cosmos comes to TV in 2013. He's hosting it.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:15:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That is awesome and it's crazy that he actually stayed to talk to you guys. He's one of like 5 people I would chase, too haha.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 10:15:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Awesome!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:38:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 11:15:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:
That is awesome and it's crazy that he actually stayed to talk to you guys. He's one of like 5 people I would chase, too haha.

He said he takes young kids interested in intellectual/activist stuff very seriously, and if it comes to dealing with an inquiring youth vs some business work related stuff, he will always prioritize the kid. He said this is partly because when he was a kid, Carl Sagan invited him to check out Cornell, and was extremely attentive and hospitable and humble despite being Carl motherf*cking Sagan, and at the time NDT was just some really smart nerdy black teenager, which made him feel really awesome and inspired him a lot. I told him that hopefully this conversation with him would have a similar affect on me and my friend.
ObiWan
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 10:09:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 11:10:59 PM, jat93 wrote:
Met him on the streets of NYC last weekend on the way to the Museum of Natural History, where incidentally he is the director of the planetarium. I was with a friend. We passed by, and it took me a second for it to register that we'd passed him, and I was like "wait man holy sh!t that's Neil Degrasse Tyson that just walked by!" We ran back and told him how much we love him (hopefully not appearing too much like creepy fangirls), and he said "no, you love the universe." It was awesome. We talked about how NDT thinks Isaac Newton is the most intelligent person ever, his relationship with Carl Sagan, the ridiculousness of intelligent design, and that's about it. It was so awesome though, because I've never met any of my intellectual heroes before, and it really made my day. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson, and I can't wait until the new version of the Cosmos comes to TV in 2013. He's hosting it.

This is so cool, I am so jealous of you! :)
These are not the droids you're looking for.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 10:56:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Maybe one day I'll meet Masterhchief......

TBH, not sure what we would talk about........maybe, Halo?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:20:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pretty awesome I have to say.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:21:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 10:56:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Maybe one day I'll meet Masterhchief......


TBH, not sure what we would talk about........maybe, Halo?

Hahaha. Good luck with that. I've never played Halo or xbox in my life, and haven't played any video games (not counting random computer games like the helicopter game aka the best and most addictive game ever) since I was in middle school, which was like half a decade ago or something. I know, I've just horrified you, lol. You're definitely like "where was this kid's childhood?!?!?!?"
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:25:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 11:21:30 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 10/17/2012 10:56:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Maybe one day I'll meet Masterhchief......


TBH, not sure what we would talk about........maybe, Halo?

Hahaha. Good luck with that. I've never played Halo or xbox in my life, and haven't played any video games (not counting random computer games like the helicopter game aka the best and most addictive game ever) since I was in middle school, which was like half a decade ago or something. I know, I've just horrified you, lol. You're definitely like "where was this kid's childhood?!?!?!?"

I could see that happening actually. Some people just aren't into that stuff......

(you seemed like the type :D)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:27:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 10:56:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Maybe one day I'll meet Masterhchief......


TBH, not sure what we would talk about........maybe, Halo?

Which Halo? He blew up like two already...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:30:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 11:27:33 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/17/2012 10:56:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Maybe one day I'll meet Masterhchief......


TBH, not sure what we would talk about........maybe, Halo?

Which Halo? He blew up like two already...

Technically he might as well of blown them all up, since they were in a sequence that would make it so only the Ark could activate them, and since that kinda sploded.....

I dunno......what the hell would I even say?

I would probably be like "Well....damn. I never expected to get this far...."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:23:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I like Carl Sagan. But I would settle for Tyson; he seems pretty intelligent.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:24:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Also, did he tell you about his NDE?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:25:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 11:23:31 PM, MouthWash wrote:
I like Carl Sagan. But I would settle for Tyson; he seems pretty intelligent.

Little bit
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler