Jump to topic:

What is your ACE score?

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 12:10:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
ACE stands for Adverse Childhood Experiences, which are negative events in one's childhood and adolescence that can have powerful neurobiological consequences on the rest of one's life.

Here's the test: http://acestudy.org...

Here's a video on the research---------------->
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 12:14:32 AM
6. I didn't realize a lot of that stuff was abnormal until college.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 5:56:44 PM
Maybe 1 at worst.

Most likely 0.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:01:52 PM
At 11/8/2012 12:14:32 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I scored 6 as well. That helps explain my prior chronic depression, suicidal thoughts, absenteeism, and self-defeating behaviors. I think I would have managed with these problems much better if my mother was still alive; one year after her death all of the above symptoms hit me seemingly at once.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:03:59 PM
0...Those were some horrible questions
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:05:38 PM
I think the death of a close family member is a really adverse childhood experience. It was by far the worst one for me, the second was my sister developing post-partum depression psychosis.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:40:25 PM

Wow, that really sucks. Hopefully you've gotten over it.

I was fortunant enough to have a 1. Divorce.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:46:42 PM
I got a 2.

I think I turned out alright though, and my household is actually pretty nice. I can understand why any higher score would be really serious however.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 8:15:36 PM
got a 3

Dad yelled a lot but never hit. I will always remember him saying Jesus "H" Christ just before going off on a tirade. Makes me laugh when I think about it now.

Step father was an alcoholic but was a good father, way better than my real father.

And obviously parents were divorced.

Don't have any problems, life is good. But that's because I learned early on that life is what you and you alone make of it. Counting on or expecting other people or govt to make your life good is only a path to a life of abysmal disappointment and failure. I "expect" everyone to "not do" what they say they will do and always have a plan "B." That way when they "do" what they say they will do, it's all rainbows and unicorns. When they don't, it was to be expected and plan "B" kicks in. I don't get bummed out when people let me down. I knew they would in advance. It's like lending money to friends, don't lend it if you want it back.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:06:00 PM
At 11/8/2012 8:15:36 PM, sadolite wrote:
Don't have any problems, life is good. But that's because I learned early on that life is what you and you alone make of it. Counting on or expecting other people or govt to make your life good is only a path to a life of abysmal disappointment and failure. I "expect" everyone to "not do" what they say they will do and always have a plan "B." That way when they "do" what they say they will do, it's all rainbows and unicorns. When they don't, it was to be expected and plan "B" kicks in. I don't get bummed out when people let me down. I knew they would in advance. It's like lending money to friends, don't lend it if you want it back.

You give some good advice every once in a while. I'll remember that.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:12:31 PM
What the heck? I'm surprised I'm in the top 3 on this. I thought for sure my score would be average.

You people must be terribly boring to talk to, what with your stable homes and healthy child-hoods and all that nonsense. ;)
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 11:04:13 PM
Does it count if your parents were never married?
If so, 1.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 11:54:15 PM
At 11/8/2012 6:05:38 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I think the death of a close family member is a really adverse childhood experience. It was by far the worst one for me, the second was my sister developing post-partum depression psychosis.

Sorry to hear that, both for you and your sister. I've had a psychotic sibling as well, and it is quite traumatic.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 12:25:38 AM

I don't know how to say this, but that sounds awful. Sorry you had to have such an experience.

For me, I had a 2. Not the most cohesive family unit, though we usually got along. And I have a brother with a mental disorder, though it is not nearly as horrible as it once was a few years ago.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 12:49:18 AM
At 11/9/2012 12:25:38 AM, Contra wrote:

I don't know how to say this, but that sounds awful. Sorry you had to have such an experience.

At first she started thinking that everything happening was God. Then, she started thinking that demons were attacking our house. Then one night she was raving around the house screaming about God and Jesus, etc. My dad's girlfriend was washing dishes and after my sister called her Satan a few times, she pulled a knife out and went after her. I grabbed my sister's wrist and twisted the knife out. I threw her onto the ground, and my dad held her until I called the police. I didn't know that she had a condition at that point; I just thought she was being way to religious. I was extremely angry at her for neglecting her child for the previous few days and pulling a knife on my dad's girlfriend. Later, when I found out she developed a few mental issues like psychosis (after childbirth), I felt like I used excessive force. She was in a mental institute for 3 months, and it broke my heart when I tried talking to her; it was like she wasn't even in her body. It was by far the most surreal moment of my life. It took her nearly a year to recover, and there are still some traces in her personality where she doesn't seem quite right. She blames the whole reason she went to the hospital on my dad's girlfriend who she still refers to as a Jezebel spirit.

For me, I had a 2. Not the most cohesive family unit, though we usually got along. And I have a brother with a mental disorder, though it is not nearly as horrible as it once was a few years ago.

Appreciate the family you have and spend time with them. When I have a family of my own, I'm going to use all of my energy to raise my kids with love and treat my wife with love and respect. My father is a liar, an addict, and an abuser; even today I cannot be in the same room as him for more than 30 minutes at a time. I blame my father's abuse and neglect as well as my mother's death for most of the terrible behaviors and emotions I exhibited since 2006. Had my mother lived, my life would have likely been much happier and my accomplishments would have been much greater. What does your brother have? How do you feel about it?
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:05:21 AM
7. and still a christian
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:11:59 AM
At 11/9/2012 12:49:18 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 11/9/2012 12:25:38 AM, Contra wrote:

At first she started thinking that everything happening was God. Then, she started thinking that demons were attacking our house. Then one night she was raving around the house screaming about God and Jesus, etc. My dad's girlfriend was washing dishes and after my sister called her Satan a few times, she pulled a knife out and went after her. I grabbed my sister's wrist and twisted the knife out. I threw her onto the ground, and my dad held her until I called the police. I didn't know that she had a condition at that point; I just thought she was being way to religious. I was extremely angry at her for neglecting her child for the previous few days and pulling a knife on my dad's girlfriend. Later, when I found out she developed a few mental issues like psychosis (after childbirth), I felt like I used excessive force. She was in a mental institute for 3 months, and it broke my heart when I tried talking to her; it was like she wasn't even in her body. It was by far the most surreal moment of my life. It took her nearly a year to recover, and there are still some traces in her personality where she doesn't seem quite right. She blames the whole reason she went to the hospital on my dad's girlfriend who she still refers to as a Jezebel spirit.

This doesn't even seem real. It sounds like something I'd see in a horror movie.

Appreciate the family you have and spend time with them. When I have a family of my own, I'm going to use all of my energy to raise my kids with love and treat my wife with love and respect. My father is a liar, an addict, and an abuser; even today I cannot be in the same room as him for more than 30 minutes at a time. I blame my father's abuse and neglect as well as my mother's death for most of the terrible behaviors and emotions I exhibited since 2006. Had my mother lived, my life would have likely been much happier and my accomplishments would have been much greater.

So your mother died and your step mother nearly did too? That sucks, really.

What does your brother have? How do you feel about it?

He has oppositional defiance disorder, combined with ADHD. This basically means that he actively refuses to comply with authority, blames others for his own mistakes, is angry, often loses his temper and throws temper tantrums (at age 14). Also, he seeks revenge, and he loses his temper over the most benign of things, once it was because he didn't want to fix his handwriting. He also impulsively and purposely annoys others or attacks people (both physically and verbally), and the ADHD part amplifies this. Once he and my younger brother attacked me in my back yard because I asked them to help me take out the recycling when we were home alone, but since I am physically conditioned I dealt with it, my neighbor actually saw how I basically pwned them (I defended myself). Another time he has swung a knife at us, threatened suicide, etc.

This condition is mentally traumatizing, I can usually handle it in solitude, but occasionally I just feel awfully depressed. Physically I can defend my little brother, without a problem. And this disorder makes my family angered and restless as my parents have to deal with him say in a tantrum, while my little brother is sad or crying, and you hear yelling, its awful.

But since August, he has gotten more part time work and medication, so he is mostly a normal person now.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:23:31 AM
At 11/8/2012 6:40:25 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Wow, that really sucks. Hopefully you've gotten over it.

I was fortunant enough to have a 1. Divorce.

Getting over something is a tricky thing. You play the hand you're dealt.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:42:51 AM
I gotta a two. While I had great parents, they could be harsh and judgmental. And while it wasn't at all common, I have been put down by my parents before.

The other one was because of my brother. He was a cocaine addict after he got done with college. Funny thing was, even though he did cocaine, he went to work and the like. It facilitated his divorce and he moved home after that to pay off his debts and get clean. He went back to work and such. Was starting a career and was on the fast track to upper management. A few years of relapses and getting clean and now he is in Florida, in a Church sponsored rehab center for the next three years.

He was never the same after that though. He was my favorite brother when I was young. He used to be cheerful and really goofy. He used to come home and hang out with us, and it meant a lot. But we really drifted apart when he came back. He lost some of his charm. He was distant. And when we started working for my dad together, our relationship was rocky. He sometimes put me down at work and he became an a$$hole.

He's apparently doing a lot better now though. My parents went down to see him and they mentions he looked good and that he looked like the person he used to be.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:46:16 AM
7 or maybe 8 (can't really remember, tbh). I watched that video but i don't really have time to watch the rest of it (apparently that's only part 1 of 4, i have an exam in the morning, and it's almost 3am) so i'll do that later. It's really interesting research.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:53:33 AM
4.5, as I gave myself half a point for something.

Honestly, I think these questions are crap. First, it deals with battered wives and children, but not husbands. Why not?

"Often or very often", plus a few other term and questions, are too subjective to yeild worthwhile results, in my opinion.

Last, why is what I feel relevant to how things were? The question should be facts that lead to a conclusion, but asking me if I ever felt I wasn't loved seems irrelevant to the rest of the questions.
My work here is, finally, done.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 3:06:27 AM
It's difficult to answer the questions 100% accurately, without bringing in some measure of subjectivity (ie. 'didn't look out for each other') . At least 1 (with certainty) , and potentially up to 2.5, but I'd probably guess about 1.5 or so. To those people hitting numbers like 6, it must seem like quite a different world.

I'd also briefly like to note that the test doesn't completely cover all factors that influence a child's development. For instance, a parent's death in and of itself is powerful, but that's no point. Or what about a divorce after that death? It's difficult to measure such things.

The video was powerful. To just see the impacts ACEs can have is truly profound. The presenter mentions reaping what we sow and how this is a suppressed issue... very true I think now, as opposed to before where my views would have been less forceful on the matter.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 5:42:23 AM
At 11/9/2012 2:53:33 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
4.5, as I gave myself half a point for something.

Honestly, I think these questions are crap. First, it deals with battered wives and children, but not husbands. Why not?

This survey is retarded because it is attempting to quantify suffering and put all of those types of suffering on equal ground. Being sexually assaulted by parents or degraded by them are probably infinitely worse than having one's parents go through a divorce.

With regards to your question, battered women and children are more common than battered men, but it did ask if one spouse has been beat, threatened, etc., so I think it's covered anyways.
"Often or very often", plus a few other term and questions, are too subjective to yeild worthwhile results, in my opinion.

Last, why is what I feel relevant to how things were? The question should be facts that lead to a conclusion, but asking me if I ever felt I wasn't loved seems irrelevant to the rest of the questions.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 5:45:33 AM
I'm not going to post my score. I'm lucky with regards to the fact that my father was not ever violent towards my mother, but my mother was on a judo team when she was in high school in India so I bet that she could defeat my father anyways since he's pretty unathletic. Domestic violence against wives is very prevalent in the Indian American community.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 10:14:32 AM
I find it interesting that my father would score a 10, and in the worst way! All of those my father went threw.

I scored a 0.

I am so lucky that my father is awesome! The things my grandma has told me about his childhood is down right terrifying. I think the divorce was the best part of his life at age 12!

I do see how it did effects him in many ways though.
Me
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 11:26:18 AM
2. My grandfather who lives with me is a crazy drunk. He would leave the house friday night and come back sunday night high as f--k. Then he would curse at my grandmother all week. I think I turned out fine though.

Last christmas he started losing his vision and the doctor said he could not drink or smoke. During the holidays he wanted to drink, but my mom hid the rum he had brought. He started cursing at everyone in the house for his alcohol. Eventually he started crying and went to bed. He is a vegetable now. Sad story. I miss my old grandfather. Yeah he cursed like crazy but he was fun to hang with sometimes. Now all he does is grunts on the couch all day :(