Jump to topic:

Divergent

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 10:20:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Whats the premise/plot/setting without any spoilers?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:47:05 AM
Well, I haven't read very much, but basically the setting is Chicago at some undetermined point in the future. The society is basically controlled by an aristocracy of individuals who are divided into five different factions: Abnegation, Dauntless, Candor, Erudite, and Amity. Children are born into the factions of their parents (you can only marry within faction from what I gather), but at the age of 16 are required to take an aptitude test that classifies them as a specific personality type that then translates into a faction. Abnegation consists of people who are selfless, for example, while Dauntless is of those who are brave. The day after the exam, each child is required to choose any faction that he or she chooses. Most select a faction based on their test results, and since their parents train them to be members of the factions they are born in, the vast majority of individuals remain within faction.

The plot becomes more complicated because each faction requires an initiation process. Failure to successfully complete this initiation (the initiation processes for all groups except Abnegation are competitive) results in one being "factionless", which basically means that you are homeless and you have to do the city's menial labor but are only compensated with meager, and often inadequate, amounts of food and clothing.

There is also plenty of inter-faction warfare. Abnegation rules the city, but Erudite clashes with it.

The plot main character is Divergent, which basically means that her test results were inconclusive (i.e. they couldn't classify her). It is implied that these individuals are considered dangerous and that the leadership wants to kill them (I don't know why yet). The main character, who is born into Abnegation, switches to Dauntless and basically struggles to keep her identity a secret.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:47:45 AM
Oh, and your jobs are determined by your faction. Abnegation rules, and Dauntless protects the city from the outside world.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 5:36:32 AM
At 11/22/2012 11:47:05 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Well, I haven't read very much, but basically the setting is Chicago at some undetermined point in the future. The society is basically controlled by an aristocracy of individuals who are divided into five different factions: Abnegation, Dauntless, Candor, Erudite, and Amity. Children are born into the factions of their parents (you can only marry within faction from what I gather), but at the age of 16 are required to take an aptitude test that classifies them as a specific personality type that then translates into a faction. Abnegation consists of people who are selfless, for example, while Dauntless is of those who are brave. The day after the exam, each child is required to choose any faction that he or she chooses. Most select a faction based on their test results, and since their parents train them to be members of the factions they are born in, the vast majority of individuals remain within faction.

The plot becomes more complicated because each faction requires an initiation process. Failure to successfully complete this initiation (the initiation processes for all groups except Abnegation are competitive) results in one being "factionless", which basically means that you are homeless and you have to do the city's menial labor but are only compensated with meager, and often inadequate, amounts of food and clothing.

There is also plenty of inter-faction warfare. Abnegation rules the city, but Erudite clashes with it.

The plot main character is Divergent, which basically means that her test results were inconclusive (i.e. they couldn't classify her). It is implied that these individuals are considered dangerous and that the leadership wants to kill them (I don't know why yet). The main character, who is born into Abnegation, switches to Dauntless and basically struggles to keep her identity a secret.

Basically the perfect liberal sob story. Next.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Vhenz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 8:25:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yeah i've read it long time ago. it's very good. now i'm currently reading it's sequence (Insurgent) long span of time though :))