Jump to topic:

Education related questions.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:47:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know that with adding and subtracting there are tricks to help you do them more accurately or faster (carrying, borrowing). But do these ever become 'obsolete?' I can calculate four or five digits easily and much more quickly through simply logic. Is there any mathematical situation in which the aforementioned tricks are necessary or can I forget about them? I'm not very practiced at using them and when I do I make basic mistakes and have to sometimes write it down (which I hate).

Also, how would I learn to type properly? I can type reasonably quickly with my current two-finger method, and I took a computer course at school, but it was horrible and turned me off of typing for the next several years. I realize that I could be much more productive if I could type like normal people do- I've seen people that can write out whole sentences in seconds. And I'm also thinking about using better keyboards such as Dvorak (for practice, I can simply put labeled stickers on my keyboard and use an online translator like this: [http://bennettroesch.com...]). What are some good course methods for learning to type, and what other keyboards would you recommend for effiency?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:53:44 AM
To me, typing came all naturally. Didn't practice on purpose. I never got into using multiple fingers like other people seem to do, though I often hit around 90-100 words per minute on average -- according to tests.

Try to Google for some typing practice.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 12:05:49 PM
At 11/28/2012 11:53:44 AM, Mirza wrote:
To me, typing came all naturally. Didn't practice on purpose. I never got into using multiple fingers like other people seem to do, though I often hit around 90-100 words per minute on average -- according to tests.

Try to Google for some typing practice.

Just took a test and here are the results: [http://www.typingtest.com...]
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 12:10:32 PM
At 11/28/2012 12:05:49 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Just took a test and here are the results: [http://www.typingtest.com...]
I get around a 100 with that. Sheesh, you must be struggling to even locate the keyboard!
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 12:29:46 PM
Last time I checked I was at a 40. It made me very sad.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 12:33:08 PM
But can anyone answer the questions?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 12:38:03 PM
At 11/28/2012 12:33:08 PM, MouthWash wrote:
But can anyone answer the questions?

First you should get used to positioning your hands correctly and using all your fingers. Or most of them. I use nine. After that it should start coming naturally. You could also download a program or something if you want. I used to use typing games. I get around 80-90 on most tests.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 12:53:17 PM
What about the math question?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 1:22:08 PM
At 11/28/2012 12:53:17 PM, MouthWash wrote:
What about the math question?

Its called using a calculator which is more efficient.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 1:23:27 PM
the more advanced math you get into, the more you'll need to write things down.

For my engineering classes, many of the problems required a computer program to solve them.
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 1:28:03 PM
At 11/28/2012 1:23:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:

For my engineering classes, many of the problems required a computer program to solve them.

Yes, but is basic adding and subtracting done fully through logic?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 1:31:54 PM
At 11/28/2012 1:28:03 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 11/28/2012 1:23:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:

No, computers can do that incredibly easily.
Open borders debate:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 1:34:15 PM
At 11/28/2012 1:28:03 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Fully yes, 'only' no.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:20:21 PM
My typing rate is horrible. I do use most of my fingers though.

Get a good keyboard. Mechanical ones are the best, but I have a dome keyboard (the Razer Deathstalker) that works fairly well.
#StandWithBossy