YYW offers Confession

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 4:14:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Dear DDOites,

In the past week I have made various threads about where I stand on particular issues. I think, however, that answering unasked questions has become tedious. I submit myself before you that I will answer any question so long as it is reasonable on any subject area pertaining to myself/my thoughts or beliefs about things. Other threads in this nature have gone quite awry, but this, perhaps, will not -though I congratulate some interrogators for the novelty of their questions from other threads.

I stand ready for cross-examination.

Pour l'amour de la v"rit",

YYW
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 6:34:22 PM
At 11/30/2012 4:59:55 PM, badger wrote:
Do you believe we might once again build the Garden of Eden on Earth? If not, why not?

We? As in humans? No. Why? "We" are not God.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:22:47 PM
At 11/30/2012 6:51:51 PM, badger wrote:
What's with being homosexual and Christian? Do you believe the Bible the word of the Lord?

Sin is ever present; it's inherent to man since the fall. And yes, I'm gay. And yes, I believe in the word of God. I think somehow you don't understand that though... should I explain?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:34:35 PM
At 11/30/2012 7:28:37 PM, badger wrote:
Do.

Let's start with this. Do you think that being gay and being a christian are mutually exclusive and if so, why? Moreover, do you believe that some sins are worse than others?

(This, I ask only so that I can gauge your knowledge base. If we both know a whole lot about the same thing, then there is less foundation I have to lay.)
Tsar of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:54:54 PM
Well, from what I hear from DATCMOTO, you'd be walking a thin line being both gay and Christian, what with how you'd have to repent after indulgence or you'd go to hell.

But then as regards severity of sins, the 10 Commandments say nothing of homosexuality, so I'd gauge it to possibly fit in among sins such as raping but not marrying and mocking bald men....which one is punished less for? temporally punished? just eaten by bears or stoned to death instead of burned in hell for eternity like for breaking one of the 10 Commandments?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:05:13 PM
Did you know that J. K. Rowling killed off Dumbledore with AIDS? Or analogously so anyway. The dude was a homosexual who rooted around in the wrong hole and died because of it.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:15:41 PM
Umbridge got raped by a load of centaurs and Aberforth had sex with a goat...

J. K. Rowling is a kinky bitch.
signature
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:24:37 PM
At 11/30/2012 10:24:22 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
How big is your penis?

For science of course.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 2:19:27 AM
At 11/30/2012 8:33:32 PM, badger wrote:
Should I not have brought up AIDS? If not, my bad...

Wow. An almost 50 year old whose read Harry Potter. Interesting. That aside, let's explore why you seem to dislike gay people. Did you have an unsettling experience that remains burned in your memory?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 2:19:58 AM
At 11/30/2012 10:24:22 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
How big is your penis?

lol Even for science... that's over the line.
Tsar of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 2:23:56 AM
At 12/1/2012 2:19:27 AM, YYW wrote:

Wow. An almost 50 year old whose read Harry Potter. Interesting. That aside, let's explore why you seem to dislike gay people. Did you have an unsettling experience that remains burned in your memory?

Dude, I don't not like gay people... I just go off on tangents with little regard for political correctness. And I am actually interested as to your rationalization of being both Christian and homosexual.

Also, I was fvcking J. K. Rowling there for a while, so... you know.

Oh wait... nah, nvm.
signature
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 3:38:39 AM
At 12/1/2012 2:23:56 AM, badger wrote:
At 12/1/2012 2:19:27 AM, YYW wrote:

Dude, I don't not like gay people... I just go off on tangents with little regard for political correctness. And I am actually interested as to your rationalization of being both Christian and homosexual.

Also, I was fvcking J. K. Rowling there for a while, so... you know.

Oh wait... nah, nvm.

There is a documentary called Fish out of Water you might be interested in.
Tsar of DDO
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 4:44:09 AM
At 12/1/2012 4:03:30 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
What beliefs would you die for?
Who would you die for?

The better question is for what or for who you would kill for IMO.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:00:20 AM
At 12/1/2012 4:03:30 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
What beliefs would you die for?

To discuss ideas abstractly which I would be willing to die for? That's hard to say, having never been in a position in which the stakes were properly life and death. Not, then, to beat around the bush, but I really have no idea.

I can imagine that were there to come a situation where the western lifestyle I am accustomed to were not something available to me, I would probably be willing to defend that to the death, both because of an allegiance to liberal liberal democratic governance and the commitment to the propriety of that form of order.

Who would you die for?

That would depend entirely on the circumstances, so, I really don't know here either.

Who are your five most important intellectual influences? Why?

Well, the three people who have impacted me most I'll pass over -but I will note my undergraduate advisor was one. He was both an intellectual influence and a role model, particularly regarding his work ethic. But in terms of people who have published literature that I have read:

1. Nietzsche (granted, I don't take from Nietzsche in the way that most do or value him for the reasons that most others have -but nevertheless reading Nietzsche is the ultimate test of faith and morality, although I would submit that I think being grounded in Dostoevsky's literature probably had a significant impact to my reading Nietzsche as I have.)
2. Richard Posner (most brilliant legal mind of the 20th/21st century, imo)
3. John Rawls (the moral/political philosopher whose ideas have most significantly impacted me)
4. Michel Foucault (for his theory of power, and three primary books: Madness and Civilization, Discipline and Punish and History of Sexuality, Vol. 1) Recognize that from Foucault I include that which preceded him, and the breadth of impact he has and still continues to have.
5. Earl Warren (When I spent a semester trudging through the decisions of the Warren Court, it changed my life -and probably made me as liberal as I am)
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:21:04 AM
Does maintaining a relationship with God while being homosexual force you into celibacy, or do you pray for repentance every time you have non-heterosexual intercourse?

Do you believe that The Ten Commandments specifically outline homosexuality as a sin? If so, what Biblical justification do you use to classify it as such?

Do you believe that Rawls' "A Theory of Justice" is logically sound? If so, how and where can we apply it to our everyday lives?

Does being a living example of how homosexuality can still work under the framework of faith make you question some of the extreme dogma and rhetoric of the church against homosexuality or other subjects?

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy!, but here's my number, so call me maybe? <3
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:31:08 AM
At 12/1/2012 5:21:04 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Does maintaining a relationship with God while being homosexual force you into celibacy, or do you pray for repentance every time you have non-heterosexual intercourse?

Very tempted to quote Goethe here.... Actually, I'll just go ahead and do it, at the risk of being sardonic.

"If God had wanted me otherwise, he would have created me otherwise."

Do you believe that The Ten Commandments specifically outline homosexuality as a sin? If so, what Biblical justification do you use to classify it as such?

No. You're asking the wrong questions here. There is a post I wrote early in the "can homosexuals get to heaven" thread that addresses this issue. Feel free to investigate it.

Do you believe that Rawls' "A Theory of Justice" is logically sound? If so, how and where can we apply it to our everyday lives?

I do, to the extent that a theory can be logically sound. It reconciles the need for personal gain while simultaneously extending a duty of something like solidarity to members of one's society. Michael Sandel gave a lecture about the application of this that I think is better suited to explain it then I am.

Does being a living example of how homosexuality can still work under the framework of faith make you question some of the extreme dogma and rhetoric of the church against homosexuality or other subjects?

I think discourse about homosexuality in the church occurs on two levels, and that this is the case in Christianity, Judaism and Islam (just based on my experience). Popular theology promulgates one narrative, while another offers something else entirely. Most pastors, though well intentioned, just miss the mark entirely on this issue. Check out "Fish out of Water" on Netflix. That's a fairly simple way of explaining what I'm talking about here. It's a short watch and extremely easy to understand, and is oriented to addressing this specific point -though only w/in the scope of Christendom.

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy!, but here's my number, so call me maybe? <3

lol
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 8:09:14 AM
At 12/1/2012 5:31:08 AM, YYW wrote:

Very tempted to quote Goethe here.... Actually, I'll just go ahead and do it, at the risk of being sardonic.

Would you then agree that homosexuality is a natural and/or genetic behavior as opposed to a learned behavior?

No. You're asking the wrong questions here. There is a post I wrote early in the "can homosexuals get to heaven" thread that addresses this issue. Feel free to investigate it.

I will have to when I have enough time to sit down and focus on anything except for LD.

I do, to the extent that a theory can be logically sound. It reconciles the need for personal gain while simultaneously extending a duty of something like solidarity to members of one's society. Michael Sandel gave a lecture about the application of this that I think is better suited to explain it then I am.

Love the way Sandel explains philosophy (read one of this books).

Also, you should debate socialpinko then on ATOJ. He's been wanting to seriously debate that for a while now.

I think discourse about homosexuality in the church occurs on two levels, and that this is the case in Christianity, Judaism and Islam (just based on my experience). Popular theology promulgates one narrative, while another offers something else entirely. Most pastors, though well intentioned, just miss the mark entirely on this issue. Check out "Fish out of Water" on Netflix. That's a fairly simple way of explaining what I'm talking about here. It's a short watch and extremely easy to understand, and is oriented to addressing this specific point -though only w/in the scope of Christendom.

Do you think that there's a way to solve back for this in the current religious system? If so, how would we go about doing it?

lol

Had to do it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 8:24:10 AM
At 12/1/2012 8:09:14 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 12/1/2012 5:31:08 AM, YYW wrote:

Would you then agree that homosexuality is a natural and/or genetic behavior as opposed to a learned behavior?

I'm pretty convinced by some compelling research that argues that sexual attraction is affected by maternal stress levels during pregnancy, but I'm not sure that's the only cause. That said, I know of plenty of "straight" guys who have had ostensibly "gay" encounters, but really just wanted to know what it's like. Some find that they like it, but most others don't. The overwhelming majority of the population, though, is predominantly straight -of that I'm sure. However, I also think entirely too much emphasis is placed on this issue. Granted, if it could be scientifically proven that homosexuality was something not chosen but genetic or something biologically pre-programmed then homosexuals could be regarded as a suspect class by -at least- the US Supreme Court. Really though, what the implicit dilemma is in the nature of the question is moral agency, and that because most people believe that having agency (the power to make the choice to be gay or not to be gay) has a moral difference on the lifestyle. I think we do have agency over how we dress, what we like to watch on TV, and things like that -even to an extent how we talk, etc.- but I have never known someone who "chose" to be gay or someone who was gay that successfully "chose" not to be gay. I know of one guy that just quit having sex to please his homophobic parents, but then he moved to London and basically severed contact with them after college. His mother -who I still see from time to time- regretted the way things played out, but his b@stard of a father has no interest of ever seeing his son again. This, the reaction of a "salt of the earth" churchgoing southern baptist. (You all will notice that I hate on the Southern Baptist church all the time, FYI this is one of the reasons why.) It is my belief, though, that wether one has a choice in the matter or not is irrelevant. If sexuality is a choice, then as an act of expression one ought to enjoy full latitude to freedom of it. If sexuality is not a choice, then one still ought to enjoy full latitude to do so without fear of reprisal. The reason that most people -especially older people- are so vastly fearful of gay people is because they don't understand it -their opinions are predicated upon generationally instilled stereotypes that are at once fallacious and often even nonsensical. And yet now, younger people -though still skeptical- have considerably more exposure to homosexuality than their parents and as such are more tolerant of it. Often, that skepticism gives way to sympathy and later defense of what they come to appreciate as a disadvantaged class of people.

I will have to when I have enough time to sit down and focus on anything except for LD.

Cool.

Love the way Sandel explains philosophy (read one of this books).

Also, you should debate socialpinko then on ATOJ. He's been wanting to seriously debate that for a while now.

He should send me a challenge.

Do you think that there's a way to solve back for this in the current religious system? If so, how would we go about doing it?

lol

Had to do it.

lol it's all good.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 8:44:04 AM
Oh, forgot to answer this

Change happens gradually, diachronically, and so with precipitous breaks -though the breaks themselves are small, usually. The problem is that when people locate their identity in a regime of value, the practices which they believe stem from that regime of value, as those practices are subject to change, people tend to react in one of two ways: either they embrace the change or they reject it with varying levels of hostility.

Problems emerge when people find themselves outside that regime of value, when they feel alienated by the regime of value, when they are condemned existentially by the regime of value. At first, when people break with norms, there is usually a violence that manifests physically or more insidiously that follows. It could be a gay bashing or it could be the exclusion of gays from marriage, for example. Both are forms of ethical violence -that is not violence which is ethical, but violence carried out to impose a non-universial ethical norm.

People imposing ethical violence look into those who they do not see as having the common traits of themselves and mentally dehumanize the face of the other they see. They make claims like "I do this in defense of the good and the right" or "This I do to prevent the downfall of society as we know it." But recognize, the juncture in which the ethical question -that of homosexuality- emerged was not the presence or existence of homosexuality, it was the showing of homosexuality of itself to society. Where it is visible, it must be confronted and either embraced or rejected. Because the "I" sees the "other" and in the "other" cannot locate himself, cannot empathize, it becomes very easy to disregard other ethical norms -such as not acting violently towards others.

The problem, though, for those ethical vigilantes who defend truth in the name of their values, is that they alienate not only the victim but also those who witness. There is always a threshold at which point someone will shout "Enough!" and try to change things. For slavery, there were the abolitionists. For racial social equality, there was the civil rights movement. For homosexuality, there is PFLAG, GLAD, BGLSA organizations and the like -and my personal favorite, Dan Savage's "It Get's Better" project.

The more exposure people have with something they don't understand, the more the non-understanding gives way to understanding, sympathy and the vacation of the "I" v. "other" relationship to one of "we." The most compelling case of this was with another friend of mine who I met as a sophomore in college. He was a complete homophobe all through high school, and then had a gay roommate -who liked football, played sports and watched ESPN. Eventually, the friend of mine's roommate told him he was gay, and they had a conversation about it. A mutual understanding was developed, and feelings of homophobia were replaced with understanding. They continue to be friends to this day.

So how do we change the game? Vacate the fog of superstition and break through the opacity of prejudice to the light of reality. Just my thoughts...
Tsar of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 12:56:41 PM
At 12/1/2012 8:24:10 AM, YYW wrote:

You don't believe in free will?
signature
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 7:30:24 PM
At 12/1/2012 12:56:41 PM, badger wrote:
At 12/1/2012 8:24:10 AM, YYW wrote:

You don't believe in free will?

You've misunderstood the point. Insomuch as I have the free will to be black or white I have the free will to choose who I am attracted to. In contrast, to choose faith is nothing like that. Does this make sense?
Tsar of DDO