Jump to topic:

Bipolarism

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 6:36:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Apparently I'm bipolar according to this test that if I scored +22 I'd be bipolar and I scored 42 any seggestions on what I should do? Please
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 6:45:43 PM
At 12/4/2012 6:36:48 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Apparently I'm bipolar according to this test that if I scored +22 I'd be bipolar and I scored 42 any seggestions on what I should do? Please

Was this a random internet test or something from your doctor. If the former, I wouldn't trust it at all.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 6:53:33 PM
Doc. said it, Doctor Kooly to be exact.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 6:57:28 PM
At 12/4/2012 6:53:33 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Doc. said it, Doctor Kooly to be exact.

Well you should probably ask him what to do instead of random peeps on the internet.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 7:00:00 PM
Sorry, I work at the KDMC and I was wonderin' so I had him do a quick test, then he had to go work on a patient.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 7:05:56 PM
Don't go on the Internet. Seriously.

Bi-Polar individuals can be easily agitated and angered.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 7:29:07 PM
I dated someone who was extremely bipolar. That said, while I'm wary of big pharma and pills in general, I completely support (and encourage) medication if you have a severe version of it. If not, I would say to consider meds but try to find out the healthiest and safest options before going that route, including talk therapy... though in my experience, truly bipolar people definitely need medicinal supplementation in addition to that :/ Good luck. And btw ask a doctor, not DDO. People here aren't even clever enough to make me laugh when they troll. Wah.
President of DDO
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 7:33:03 PM

Become bi-winning.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:00:22 PM
I deal with a lot of bipolar symptoms. Like Hypomania (literally, "below mania") - a mood state characterized by persistent and pervasive elevated (euphoric) or irritable mood, as well as thoughts and behaviors that are consistent with such a mood state. (From wikipedia.) I go from absolute euphoria for days or weeks on end, where I might as well be a God. Everything is hopeful and wonderful, and I'm plotting to grow up and change the world and all that. In the last 2 weeks I've written 65 pages in microsoft word on my moral and political philosophy. I'll make plans to further my writing career and make lengthy, specific lists of every author I have to read with hundreds of names. I've been pacing a lot, writing like a maniac, being very hyper active, having very intensely passionate experiences with reading and writing and listening to music, sometimes randomly brought to tears by beauty. But just yesterday I started feeling depressed, blah and bleak, I felt grey, as if everything was pointless and I just wanted to sleep forever. Life, society, school, money, it all seemed so futile to me. I didn't know why. I was inconsolable. Philosophy, music, TV, friends - nothing interested me. I'm sort of normal right now. But I do live most of my life in a sort of emotional existential whirlwind switching from scarily extreme passion to vegetative apathy and even despair. I also think a lot, I'm always thinking about religion and philosophy and politics and society and all these big abstract terms, and they don't leave my head unless I consciously distract myself from them.

I don't know if you can relate to this. Regardless here are some ways I deal with it. First of all whenever I'm in a mood I want to get out of I find it's good to get out of wherever you are. If you're in your house, go for a walk or a run outside. Bring your ipod. Try doing something productive - something creative. I write out my misery and/or apathy and try to turn it into art, and this helps. Sometimes music and movies can help if you think about the messages/morals behind them. Seek refuge in friends and family - loved ones. Give selflessly to someone, especially someone you love, like just help them, and maybe you'll feel good. We humans like to feel appreciated, loved, and worthwhile. Be reasonable and be calm - if you're hyperventilating and freaking out try thinking with constructed sentences in your head, just like you'd talk out loud, to try and reason with yourself. I have literally talked to myself looking in the mirror before to stop myself from having a crazy doom filled panic. Ask yourself: what is bothering me? Can I fix it? How can I fix it? Is it worth my pain? will it matter in a year? Will it go away if I ignore it? Seek refuge in things you're good and talented at that will make you feel good about yourself.

All this being said. Definitely consult loved ones like parents and very close friends. Talk to them, seek advice. Seek advice from your doctor. Maybe consider trying a clinical psychologist. Consider medication. No joke, I have found almost whenever I'm freaking out, weed helps me get into a better, more positive, more chilled frame of mind, and I use it often as an anti-depressant. But that just happens work for me and I only suggest you doing what you find helps you. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with safe anti-depressants or whatever kind of meds your doctor may prescribe so you can see if anything works out for you.

All the best
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:26:15 PM

Go to the next level and be tripolar.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 9:05:00 PM

That's never the way Bipolar Disorder is correctly diagnosed, there is no simple test that determines whether you are bipolar with a simple scoring system.

So first of all, you need to see a better doctor, one that will extensively test you and rigorously evaluate your symptoms. The process will by a physical exam and extensive blood tests to rule out other physical causes of your symptoms, psychiatric evaluation and charting of your moods over time, and some degree of discussion with family members or other third parties that observe and can assess your mood swings independently.

Second of all, I see from your profile that you are sixteen, recognize that most people your age naturally exhibit some degree of bipolarity, it's a tough age to be and mood swings are to be expected, it just goes with the territory. This makes diagnosis more difficult, you may just need to learn to relax and lighten up, worrying about whether or not you are bipolar because of some inane test certainly won't help. Your mood swings need to be evaluated against what is going on in your life, at your age, they may very well be natural responses to the stresses of your age and situation.

All you really need to do as a result of this test you took, is have someone qualified look farther and deeper, and in the end, if you are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, the type (there are three general types of BPD) and course of treatment will be best defined by the professionals making the diagnosis. As has already been mentioned, do not take treatment advise from people in an Internet chat room. If you are diagnosed as BP, you might find support groups or individuals that also suffer from it on line, talking to them might help a lot, but in general, you need to look to medical and psychiatric professionals for your treatment options. In fact, let them suggest credible Internet support resources too, I'm certain they won't send you to DDO.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:36:37 AM
You should become a day trader specializing in high volatility micro cap stocks.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:19:12 AM
What are high volairity stockS?

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 10:09:36 PM

You are unlikely to be a difficult case, because severely bipolar people consistently refuse to acknowledge they have a problem. There is no alternative to professional treatment I know of, but it is readily treatable, so the prospects are good. Bipolar people are often very smart, but unable to see their problem.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 10:58:43 PM
At 12/5/2012 10:09:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

You are unlikely to be a difficult case, because severely bipolar people consistently refuse to acknowledge they have a problem. There is no alternative to professional treatment I know of, but it is readily treatable, so the prospects are good. Bipolar people are often very smart, but unable to see their problem.

If you are bipolar, Lannan, then yes, you should talk to a psychiatrist. However, it should be a psychiatrist who diagnoses you, not a questionnaire.
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 7:25:45 AM
YYW 10:58:43 PMPosted: 8 hours ago

If you are bipolar, Lannan, then yes, you should talk to a psychiatrist. However, it should be a psychiatrist who diagnoses you, not a questionnaire.Oh, you have an opinion. Please... tell me about it.

I would but I don't have the money to.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 7:26:41 AM
Lordknukle
1 day ago
Don't go on the Internet. Seriously.

Bi-Polar individuals can be easily agitated and angered.

That would explain the Viper-King incident. Thanks LK.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 9:06:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/6/2012 7:25:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
YYW 10:58:43 PMPosted: 8 hours ago

If you are bipolar, Lannan, then yes, you should talk to a psychiatrist. However, it should be a psychiatrist who diagnoses you, not a questionnaire.Oh, you have an opinion. Please... tell me about it.

I would but I don't have the money to.

You might consider talking to your parents or school counselor then, if that's an option. If it's not, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just try to self regulate. I will say though that mood swings and changes in personality are not uncommon in teenage years -something that has more to do with hormonal shifts and the brain trying to adapt in kind- which can be misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder. Moreover, given the relative low to medium level (I'm guessing this is the test you took: http://psychcentral.com...), a psychiatrist most likely wouldn't medicate you.

Out of curiosity:

1) have you ever had an IQ test? (very smart people do tend to be bipolar)
2) do you mismanage money? (compulsive spending can be an indicator of bipolar disorder)
3) do you have an inconsistent sex drive? (acutely varying degrees of sexual interest are an indicator of bipolar disorder)

These are questions it is not necessary for you to answer to me, only so that you know for yourself what you are dealing with. Do not feel obliged to answer those questions.

I hope this helps.
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 3:56:27 PM
1) have you ever had an IQ test? (very smart people do tend to be bipolar) Yes, it's 106
2) do you mismanage money? (compulsive spending can be an indicator of bipolar disorder) Yes
3) do you have an inconsistent sex drive? (acutely varying degrees of sexual interest are an indicator of bipolar disorder) Yes, but I mean who doesn't.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 4:32:23 PM
At 12/4/2012 7:33:03 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Become bi-winning.

Gah, beat me to it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 5:31:55 PM
At 12/6/2012 3:56:27 PM, lannan13 wrote:
1) have you ever had an IQ test? (very smart people do tend to be bipolar) Yes, it's 106
2) do you mismanage money? (compulsive spending can be an indicator of bipolar disorder) Yes
3) do you have an inconsistent sex drive? (acutely varying degrees of sexual interest are an indicator of bipolar disorder) Yes, but I mean who doesn't.

Well, you're a teenager. It may pass. I wouldn't worry too much. If, as Roy mentioned, you're willing to entertain the fact that you might be bipolar, even if you did require treatment, you're probably not going to be a difficult case.
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 8:19:48 AM
Mirza
What do you get in this test? http://psychcentral.com......

I got a 50 http://psychcentral.com...

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:40:02 AM
At 12/7/2012 8:19:48 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Mirza
What do you get in this test? http://psychcentral.com......

I got a 50 http://psychcentral.com...
As has been mentioned earlier, all sorts of discrepancies in the mind can occur during teenage years. You should consult a psychologist, at least when you save up some money. If you treat the possible disorder in its earlier stages, chances are you'll avoid a very difficult case. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

If you experience difficulties, consult your doctor.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:16:21 PM
At 12/4/2012 8:00:22 PM, jat93 wrote:
I deal with a lot of bipolar symptoms. Like Hypomania (literally, "below mania") - a mood state characterized by persistent and pervasive elevated (euphoric) or irritable mood, as well as thoughts and behaviors that are consistent with such a mood state. (From wikipedia.) I go from absolute euphoria for days or weeks on end, where I might as well be a God. Everything is hopeful and wonderful, and I'm plotting to grow up and change the world and all that. In the last 2 weeks I've written 65 pages in microsoft word on my moral and political philosophy. I'll make plans to further my writing career and make lengthy, specific lists of every author I have to read with hundreds of names. I've been pacing a lot, writing like a maniac, being very hyper active, having very intensely passionate experiences with reading and writing and listening to music, sometimes randomly brought to tears by beauty. But just yesterday I started feeling depressed, blah and bleak, I felt grey, as if everything was pointless and I just wanted to sleep forever. Life, society, school, money, it all seemed so futile to me. I didn't know why. I was inconsolable. Philosophy, music, TV, friends - nothing interested me. I'm sort of normal right now. But I do live most of my life in a sort of emotional existential whirlwind switching from scarily extreme passion to vegetative apathy and even despair. I also think a lot, I'm always thinking about religion and philosophy and politics and society and all these big abstract terms, and they don't leave my head unless I consciously distract myself from them.

I don't know if you can relate to this. Regardless here are some ways I deal with it. First of all whenever I'm in a mood I want to get out of I find it's good to get out of wherever you are. If you're in your house, go for a walk or a run outside. Bring your ipod. Try doing something productive - something creative. I write out my misery and/or apathy and try to turn it into art, and this helps. Sometimes music and movies can help if you think about the messages/morals behind them. Seek refuge in friends and family - loved ones. Give selflessly to someone, especially someone you love, like just help them, and maybe you'll feel good. We humans like to feel appreciated, loved, and worthwhile. Be reasonable and be calm - if you're hyperventilating and freaking out try thinking with constructed sentences in your head, just like you'd talk out loud, to try and reason with yourself. I have literally talked to myself looking in the mirror before to stop myself from having a crazy doom filled panic. Ask yourself: what is bothering me? Can I fix it? How can I fix it? Is it worth my pain? will it matter in a year? Will it go away if I ignore it? Seek refuge in things you're good and talented at that will make you feel good about yourself.

All this being said. Definitely consult loved ones like parents and very close friends. Talk to them, seek advice. Seek advice from your doctor. Maybe consider trying a clinical psychologist. Consider medication. No joke, I have found almost whenever I'm freaking out, weed helps me get into a better, more positive, more chilled frame of mind, and I use it often as an anti-depressant. But that just happens work for me and I only suggest you doing what you find helps you. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with safe anti-depressants or whatever kind of meds your doctor may prescribe so you can see if anything works out for you.

All the best

lunatic
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:20:35 PM
At 12/4/2012 7:29:07 PM, Danielle wrote:
I dated someone who was extremely bipolar. That said, while I'm wary of big pharma and pills in general, I completely support (and encourage) medication if you have a severe version of it. If not, I would say to consider meds but try to find out the healthiest and safest options before going that route, including talk therapy... though in my experience, truly bipolar people definitely need medicinal supplementation in addition to that :/ Good luck. And btw ask a doctor, not DDO. People here aren't even clever enough to make me laugh when they troll. Wah.

trolling is an art!
signature